Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going out with a fairly frsh tattoo

Options
  • 14-03-2008 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭

Hey I'm just thinking about this in general since you never hear about it. I just got my second tattoo, covering most of my bottom right arm and its healing well. What got me thinking was when you head out drinking, and I have a kind of big night planned, how do you protect your healing tattoo (got it on Monday). A friend recommended Vaseline but I'm firmly of the no Vaseline school of tattoo healing more the savlon and onto a fragrance free lotion to moisturize type of guy. None of this stresses me but if I am out drinking I am worried I might forget to apply something on it if it dries up or that I might do it some damage from just being drunk! How do you go solve this and what about people who work in hands on jobs where a tattoo will almost certainly come into contact with a rough environment?

[Edit: Title should of course say fresh not frsh!].

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

i went out the night after i got a tattoo that day. not a pleasant experience, mainly cuz people kept bumping into it!

first of all, i advise to stop using savlon. i used to always use it on my tattoos but it just encourages quick scabbing and makes the healing process that bit longer. in my experience anyway!

use tattoo goo, which is readily available at most studios or bepanthan. it's a nappy rash cream that Celestial Ring recommend you use. it creates a breathable barrier over the skin which aids the healing but also lets air at it. also, it's great to moisturise.

my boyfriend is a carpenter which is havoc when he gets a tattoo (sawdust, dirt etc.) but he just puts a layer of clingfilm over it and secures it with tape until he's finished working.

it might look weird, but i'd suggest covering it up with cling film while you're out.

or else, slather bepanthan on it, let it soak in and make sure not to bump into anyone on the course of your drinking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

when i get mine done i use (after least 2 hours) Vaseline intensive care advanced healing cream it works wonders for me as i heal fast.,others may heal slower it all depends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

Yeah I use it too! Miracle worker, but shoudl I just bring it out and hope I remember to apply it at some stage? Or am I doing the classic overworrying about my new tattoo buzz that everyone seems to get.

since you've had it for a few days now, it's probably starting to scab up good. the bepanthan is good as it takes a while to soak in so doesn't need to be applied that much.

but if you're used to vaseline, bring it with you and give it a coat or two in the bathroom every few hours. cuz that feeling is horrible when it's very dry and tight, especially if you're going to be in a club or pub or whatever

Oh I've never used Vaseline. Somebodu just recommended it in relation to going out as it will not dry up as quickly as a lotion. I've heard bad things about Vaseline though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Depending on how fresh it is really...

What I'd suggest is putting bepanthen on the tattoo, leaving it to breathe a while, then putting cling film on it, tape it up with masking tape. This will keep it protected and moisturised for as long as possible.

yes, another one for the nappy rash cream trend! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Shimei

i know you wanna show it off but your gonna have to cover it up if your gonna mistreat it(get drunk and rub it off every manky table in the bar).i usually stop wrapping mine up after a day unless im in work.id say youll be fine if it was monday. get bepanthan.its the ultimate cream.i swear by it and alot of my friends now use it too.tattoo goo is also awesome.lap it up in one of those creams and just try not to rub it off people or tables and itll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

i was told to use preperation h. its cream for haemorrhoids, but works wonders on tattoos apparently

I'm actually fine with no showing it off but is it imperative not to keep it under a jacket or whatever for the night? I swear to god sometimes tattoo aftercare is some kind of minefield. And thanks for the advice btw. Clearing things up for me. :)

[By the way I know about care in general. Its just going out drinking that worries me.]

• Advertisement

Shimei wrote: »
    i know you wanna show it off but your gonna have to cover it up if your gonna mistreat it(get drunk and rub it off every manky table in the bar).i usually stop wrapping mine up after a day unless im in work.id say youll be fine if it was monday. get bepanthan.its the ultimate cream.i swear by it and alot of my friends now use it too.tattoo goo is also awesome.lap it up in one of those creams and just try not to rub it off people or tables and itll be fine.
    can the bepanthan be got anywhere eg;chemist?

longshanks wrote: »
    i was told to use preperation h. its cream for haemorrhoids, but works wonders on tattoos apparently
    ouch!lol
    Arnicare by Nelsons is another one i use.

davey180 wrote: »
    can the bepanthan be got anywhere eg;chemist?

boots always have it

i used to use prep h!
    i love the smell and it was the best until i was told to use bepanthan.
    bepanthan is the ultimate.it can be bought in any chemist.its a nappy rash cream.

you dont have to keep it covered.wear a shirt if your worried, but it was monday you got it done.itll be fine.your probably at the horrible itchy stage by now

boots always have it
    with or without prescription?

without, it's only nappy rash cream!!

buy johnies when you get prep h or bepanthan.
    ha ha
    itll be funny.was when i did it

buy johnies when you get prep h or bepanthan.
    ha ha
    itll be funny.was when i did it
    knock it off Shimei
    this a tattoo forum not condoms!

what cant have a laugh after giving good advise on this thing???
    i gave my serious input.scop knows his/her tattoo will be fine and if he/shes got a pretty big night planned i suggest that they purchase johnnies.
    case closed
    get bepanthan
    get johnnies
    get drunk
    and have a savage night!

what cant have a laugh after giving good advise on this thing???
    i gave my serious input.scop knows his/her tattoo will be fine and if he/shes got a pretty big night planned i suggest that they purchase johnnies.
    case closed
    get bepanthan
    get johnnies
    get drunk
    and have a savage night!
    grow up Shimei
    why do i want to know about condoms.

• Advertisement

why wouldnt you?

why wouldnt you?
    wouldnt i what!

ah here lads.... safe sex, no STIs yadda yadda yadda..............

BACK TO THE NAPPY RASH AND HAEMORRHOIDS!

Calm down Davey, having a laugh is alright!!!

Seeing as your tattoo was done monday though I'd not worry too much about it, should be fine. Wear a long sleeved top and you're laughing.

Calm down Davey, having a laugh is alright!!!

Seeing as your tattoo was done monday though I'd not worry too much about it, should be fine. Wear a long sleeved top and you're laughing.
    what tattoo done on monday never got one done for weeks?

Ok cool. I'm just going to wear something long, keep some cream on me just in case for later, but I think it should be OK. Thanks for all the advice! Am off now.

davey180 wrote: »
    im married why would i want jonnys,rubbers,durex,small balloon,condom,ticklers,etc

The comments about condoms weren't addressed to you, nor was my one about having a tattoo last monday, they were to the original poster.

The comments about condoms weren't addressed to you, nor was my one about having a tattoo last monday, they were to the original poster.
    wasnt it ,sorry ,my bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

scop wrote: »
    Ok cool. I'm just going to wear something long, keep some cream on me just in case for later, but I think it should be OK. Thanks for all the advice! Am off now.
    How did you get on Paul? The same subject crossed my mind earlier because I agreed yesterday to let one of my mates do my next tattoo (am I mad? I might be) and chances are we'll go out painting the town red afterwards. I'm thinking I should lay off on the drink though because surely your body is in sort of a state of shock after being tattooed for any length of time, and getting a load of pints into it probably isn't going to help. That and I woke up in such pain this morning that I don't even want to contemplate having fresh tattoo pain on top of that :o

Also, show us what you got!

• Advertisement

rain on wrote: »
    I agreed yesterday to let one of my mates do my next tattoo (am I mad? I might be) and chances are we'll go out painting the town red afterwards. I'm thinking I should lay off on the drink though because surely your body is in sort of a state of shock after being tattooed for any length of time

If you're getting it done that day, I would recommend NOT drinking that night. When I got my phoenix done, it bled a good bit afterwards, and I went straight to Fibbers. I'd gone straight to Snakebite from work too, so was there in a shirt, only it was a shirt with a massive patch on the back of it where the blood was soaking through... lol

As I don't drink though I knew it'd be ok so long as I didn't go rubbing it against everything!

Advertisement