Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telephone Wiring

Options
  • 14-03-2008 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

I had to snip the incoming telephone cable a few years back to stop the Eircom dial tone on my internal phone wiring. I don't use Eircom and wanted to use the existing telephone points to run my VOIP around the house, which it did fine. The problem now is, I need to move back to Eircom. If I hadn't of snipped the cable I could reconnect for free, but now I will need to cough u €130 to get someone to reconnect me. Does anyone know the colour pairing of the Telephone system? Surely all the engineer would do woule be to pair back the cable and reconnect them?
    Anyone know how easy this is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Hootie

Its very easy to reconnect the cables, at the point where you cut, I assume you meant outside your house, just cut the cables back to expose the wires and then pair the wires to expose the metal. The wires should be coloured coded so match the colours to reconnect. I recommend soldering the wires and using heat shrink to cover them after. Once the wires are connected you could use insulation tape to cover everything. Hope this helps. Also if you ever need to replace a phone socket in the house its quite easy aswell, using a sequence connect the wires to the conectors until a dial tone is heard, 4 wires with 4 connectors, should only take 10mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭MickyJoe

Colour coding of what ? The incoming Eircom cable ? Your internal wiring ? Describe what you have where you cut the connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

azzeretti wrote: »
    I had to snip the incoming telephone cable a few years back to stop the Eircom dial tone on my internal phone wiring. I don't use Eircom and wanted to use the existing telephone points to run my VOIP around the house, which it did fine. The problem now is, I need to move back to Eircom. If I hadn't of snipped the cable I could reconnect for free, but now I will need to cough u €130 to get someone to reconnect me. Does anyone know the colour pairing of the Telephone system? Surely all the engineer would do woule be to pair back the cable and reconnect them?
    Anyone know how easy this is?

This has come up before on Boards.. You wont be able to avoid the 130 charge its a reconnection charge for the line (not the cable) they may not even turn up at your house as the connection will be done from the exchange.
    However seeing as how you cut the wires even when they do this you still will not have a phone line.. so you would be best advised to recconect the wires wher you cut them..
    You'll find an orange/white pair and a black/green pair.. Just join each pair to each other.......orange/white being the first pair if youve ordered a single line it will provided on this pair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It can be a lot more random than that, I would advise you to re-connect all of the cables.

Use something a proper connector like a "skotchlok". You can usually pick these up in electronics shops.

300-071.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

If it was cut externally you would need to be very careful how you rejoin the cables and seal up the joint.... unless the point where you join the wires is protected (inside a cabinet or something) I would never recommend using insulation tape. Within a quite short period of time the tape will just fall off exposing your connections and within a short while you will get oxidisation etc on the bare metal.

Use something like the cable connection jobby someone has shown above, and if it is going to be in a wet environment, then seal it with denzo tape (use disposable gloves when applying this stuff)

• Advertisement

Solair wrote: »
    It can be a lot more random than that, I would advise you to re-connect all of the cables.

More Random than what!!! You'll find an orange/white pair and a black/green pair.. Just join each pair to each other.....

OP:Does anyone know the colour pairing of the Telephone system?..
    orange/white being the first pair if youve ordered a single line it will provided on this pair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

there's often a lot more than one pair in a typical eircom line and depending on the age of the installation they may use various different colour schemes.
    they do not always use the orange and white pair, they can use any pair!

The best advice is to reconnect all of the cables that were cut.

I believe this was a house we were talking about in that case Eircom will use a two pair cable either a drop wire or poly poly using colours orange/white and green/Black... All Eircom engineers will use the first pair (orange) unless of course there is a problem with the pair.. If its not standard wiring the next schem would be Blue, orange Green brown grey.. Blue -white being the first pair. and so on.. usuallly come in 5 pair poly poly or ten pair.. (but this type of cable would never be used in a House.) any way I do agree with you and I did say to join all pairs.;)

Advertisement