Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Progressive Democrats: Leadership

Options
  • 14-03-2008 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

Just for the Progressive Democrats on boards.ie (all three of you;)).
    Which of the two candidates are you supporting?
    Ciaron Cannon or Fiona O'Malley?
    Did you attend any of the debates around the country? What did you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

apparently ciaron cannon is a god botherer, instead of privatisation he's going to send every one to lourdes to be cured!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

apparently ciaron cannon is god botherer, instead of privatisation he's going to send every to lourdes to be cured!
    He has never hidden the fact that he was CEO of a charity (it wasn't the Lourdes one), nor that he helped out other charities. When asked about it he said (roughly) that his focus was on the children (IIRC they are sick), and not where he brought them. He does have the whole social justice thing going, but he does support some things that I think the Church wouldn't.

And for the very last time, it is not privitisation. No public beds are being made private.
    If the ESB is sold and made private, that is privatisation.
    If the ESB is kept public, but private companies are allowed operate windfarms etc, that is not privitisation.

He has never hidden the fact that he was CEO of a charity (it wasn't the Lourdes one), nor that he helped out other charities. When asked about it he said (roughly) that his focus was on the children (IIRC they are sick), and not where he brought them. He does have the whole social justice thing going, but he does support some things that I think the Church wouldn't.
    if it wasn't to do with miraculous healings he would have brought them to trabolgin not lourdes.

its not social justice its superstition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Personally I vote for no one, instead for the dissolution of the outdated irrelevant "progressive" democrats

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Clytus

Just for the Progressive Democrats on boards.ie (all three of you).

For some strange reason i found myself joining the PDs there before Christmas....so now its 4.Iv always found Mary Harney a class act...

• Advertisement

if it wasn't to do with miraculous healings he would have brought them to trabolgin not lourdes.
    Kids with cancer going sledding??????:eek:
    AFAIK he believes in God, but he isn't a bible basher. Most of his charity work does not relate to religion.
    Shame on you if you would not help sick children of religious parents*

*May have been reading tabloids today.
    its not social justice its superstition.
    I was refering to other policies that he holds dear, not the Lourdes trips.
    turgon wrote: »
    Personally I vote for no one, instead for the dissolution of the outdated irrelevant "progressive" democrats
    I know that I am taking the bait, but how are they "outdated"?
    And, if you saw the debate, you wouldn't have been saying that.

brining sick children to lourdes means something you can't deny

brining sick children to lourdes means something you can't deny
    That he cares about children?......

....oh, you mean that he isn't an Athiest. I have no idea what his views on God are, and he is certainly no bible-basher.

There was an interesting article in the Tribune on the last debate today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

And for the very last time, it is not privitisation. No public beds are being made private.
    If the ESB is sold and made private, that is privatisation.
    If the ESB is kept public, but private companies are allowed operate windfarms etc, that is not privitisation.

Semantics ?
    Is the ESB giving up some of it's property to allow private sector entities set up in competition ? No but some of the public hospitals seem to be doing this.

BTW maybe it is not the public beds but the public trolleys that are being privatised ;)

Regarding the topic at hand, speaking as lay person with absolutely no affliation to the pds or their kin, would it not be better to call it a day seen as they are now viewed just as the more right wing element of FF, having forgotten the principles, reason d'etre (Haughey) and ethics of their founding fathers ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

In the last general election, the PDs were practically, for all intents and purposes, voted out of existence. That to me is democracy.

The sole remaining PD cabinet minister, who clung to power by her fingernails, then requests her cabinet position of choice, and is awarded it, despite the obvious will of the electorate, given the overwhelming election results (that of course gets into Bertiepolitics, which is a different issue). That to me is very far from democracy.

That cabinet minister, then proceeds to implement health policy which goes against the grain of public opinion, as far as I can see, almost universally, except for a golden circle of people with vested interests in the status quo. That to me is very far from democracy.

The PD party at this point in time wield an influence far in excess of the mandate they received at the last supposedly democratic general election.

I fail to see what is democratic about the Progressive Democrats, a party that seems to have lost all principles since selling it's soul to that other party, of whom the PDs were supposed to be the 'Watchdog...'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭gordon_gekko

HydeRoad wrote: »
    In the last general election, the PDs were practically, for all intents and purposes, voted out of existence. That to me is democracy.

The sole remaining PD cabinet minister, who clung to power by her fingernails, then requests her cabinet position of choice, and is awarded it, despite the obvious will of the electorate, given the overwhelming election results (that of course gets into Bertiepolitics, which is a different issue). That to me is very far from democracy.

That cabinet minister, then proceeds to implement health policy which goes against the grain of public opinion, as far as I can see, almost universally, except for a golden circle of people with vested interests in the status quo. That to me is very far from democracy.

The PD party at this point in time wield an influence far in excess of the mandate they received at the last supposedly democratic general election.

I fail to see what is democratic about the Progressive Democrats, a party that seems to have lost all principles since selling it's soul to that other party, of whom the PDs were supposed to be the 'Watchdog...'

if the majority of people in this country actually voted in there own interest instead of just voting for who there parents and grandparents voted for , then the pd,s would instead of being almost wiped out , be a major party

that and the fact that michael mc dowell was a pr disaster in a country like ireland where we dont like being told it like it is spelled there end

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

IMO why bother with a leadership in the PD. They need to come out of the closet, and call themselves FF and the leader is Bertie.

how about the pd's at heart in ff and fg join the pds and then similar ff and fg types merge

Advertisement