Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good sports Bar?

• 14-03-2008 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm an avid sports watcher and have been going to oskars bar for years now. The problem there is that they're never prepared for the games. Any night we go in to watch soccer or rugby you have to ask them to turn on the telly, then you have to ask them to change the channel, then you have to ask them, repeatedly, to turn up the sound and as soon as it's over they usually turn off the volume so as not to disturb the people eating.

That's a bit long winded but what I'm looking for is a pub that appreciates sports. Somewhere you can go that food etc takes a back seat to the game. somewhere that they don't turn off the telly mid-game because some 60 year old DJ has been booked to play that night.

Suggestions welcome:)

Cheers,
    Sunny

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭horsebokks

any of the alfies bars will pay attention to the sports seeking punters but they may draw the line at the guys looking for the cricket on the big screen oat half ten on a thursday night if you know what i mean :D
    also i find that although its a small pub katty barrys always have the tvs on and full attention to the sports be it rugby soccer racing etc. and theres usually a few of the old alfies crew there to create a decent atmosphere.... worth a try if your not particular about the leather sofas etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭sunnyse

I thought all the alfies were closed, or is that just the one by the tower hotel there???

Where are the other alfies is probably what I should have asked??:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭henboy9

BALLYBRICKEN-TRAMORE-BARRACK ST- I watch the soccer in the exchange up in ballybricken your nearly always guaranteed a seat and good atmosphere.

Thanks Henboy. I've never been in the exchange, I'll definitely have a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭henboy9

sunnyse wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm an avid sports watcher and have been going to oskars bar for years now. The problem there is that they're never prepared for the games. Any night we go in to watch soccer or rugby you have to ask them to turn on the telly, then you have to ask them to change the channel, then you have to ask them, repeatedly, to turn up the sound and as soon as it's over they usually turn off the volume so as not to disturb the people eating.

That's a bit long winded but what I'm looking for is a pub that appreciates sports. Somewhere you can go that food etc takes a back seat to the game. somewhere that they don't turn off the telly mid-game because some 60 year old DJ has been booked to play that night.

Suggestions welcome:)

Cheers,
    Sunny
    NO PROBLEM -if you do go up around alfies in ballybricken have a look at some of the photos on the wall you just might reconise some faces .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

The three ships is a great pace for the rugby, you would want to be in there early to get a good seat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

serious lack of good places to watch sport with a good atmosphere. ballybricken is your best bet but there is nowhere in the middle of town (i know people from ballybricken think its the middle of the universe but its not) i recently tried to watch the ireland italy game in town to no avail it either wasnt on or it was like watching it out in the back kitchen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭jimmytheman

im a liverpool fan and Revolution in John St are always good for us --- 2 big screns upstairs and if 2 matches are on together - usually one match on each screen - and great food for half time ---
    downside - no sound if they have comedy night on -

downside - no sound if they have comedy night on -

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about, It's so hard to find a place where sports come first no matter what, There always seems to be some 21st or comedy club or DJ that takes precedent over the needs of the sports lover:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

Ah stop .. i was in a bar in dungarvan one sunday where United were playing liverpool in a united bar and one spanner wanted to watch horse racing so they wouldnt change over, we all ended up walking out (about 30 of us) and going to the pub next door!! it made my blood boil!
    This sunday wonder where i'll go :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

alfies in ballybricken probably the best you'll get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Stinger-bar

Anywhere the Liverpool supporters arent. They're a horribly ignorant bunch.

Masons. Three Shippes, Katy barrys grand...

I miss Eagans and the old stand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 BillyBobWinters

Go to Masons, thats were all us Liverpool fans (yes FANS) end up.

Brilliant in last May (we got to the Champions League final, again, yawn) - Masons was JAMMERS from 6 O Clock to closing.

Brilliant night all bar one thing.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Brilliant in last May (we got to the Champions League final, again, yawn) - Masons was JAMMERS from 6 O Clock to closing.

Even when John O Shea walked into masons after liverpool lost the match. It was so funny seeing the reaction of many of the pool fans to his presence there

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Anywhere the Liverpool supporters arent. They're a horribly ignorant bunch.

Masons. Three Shippes, Katy barrys grand...

I miss Eagans and the old stand
    Have to agree about the Olde Stand, that was a top class place to watch a match. Will never forget watching the Man U v Arsenal cup Semi Final replay back in 99 in there, The place was packed out the door and no hassles between both sets of fans. In fairness to Eddie Reid, he tried his best to cater for all sets of fans in there. He has tried to do the same in the Cleaboy but he has not succeeded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Stinger-bar

I heard you even got a MAn Utd fan of a DJ who played You'll never walk alone etc

Advertisement