Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hospital Games Selection

Options
  • 14-03-2008 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭

Anybody got list of games suitable for bored hospital patients?

My Dad is in for a while and likes classic kinds of games, but zero interest in stuff like shoot 'em ups.

Ok so I have a few already - backgammon and scrabble etc, but anymore? (Nothing too bloaty for an old w98 laptop.)

I have had a look, but time is currently precious, any quick help/suggestions?

thanks in advance
    /r

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

If you have a DS 42 All time classics would be a winner. It has everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Hey Tricky D, sorry to hear about your Dad being in hospitable, hopefully it won't be for very long. So do you just have a laptop with Windows 98? As Mr. Genghiz Cohen recommend, the Nintendo DS is a great portable system and it has games that people of all ages can get into, like the Brain Age games. Buy it for the Da, then keep it for yourself ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Cheers for the wishes, he's actually looking and feeling grand. He's got a mild pneumonia, but that's on top of 20 years of heart trouble, so nothing is ever routine and the docs are kept on their toes.

The Nintendo DS is a brilliant suggestion, thanks, and the classic games are spot on for him - perfect for short attention-span and not too taxing on the head. As it turns out my sis is getting one for her b'day next monday, so I'll grab the classics in town in the next few days. In the meantime, he's got those 2 games and a few movies and nature documentaries to keep him occupied.

Thanks again

CCCP^ wrote: »
    in hospitable
    in fairness he's not well and not even at home;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

one word...

peggle

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Get him the Planet Earth dvd boxset. Can get it for fairly cheap and it is truly amazing! Hours of entertainment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

L31mr0d wrote: »
    one word...

peggle

Definitely peggle. Or Bejeweled. I got that for my mum, my family has not had dinner in three weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

chess is always a good bet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Laptop + Theme Hospital = WIN!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Asbad wrote: »
    Laptop + Theme Hospital = WIN!

damn you, beat me to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

damn you, beat me to it!

Hehe

It would be the perfect game in the situation. It's one of those games you just lose hours in front of. I also consider it the best out of all the 'Theme' games. Only problem is availability. At this stage the only place to get it is ebay I imagine and that could take a few days for delivery :(

So Peggle might be the best choice, you can download it off steam for about €10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Ugh, peggle.
    Never again, I like to eat every few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Asbad wrote: »
    Hehe

It would be the perfect game in the situation. It's one of those games you just lose hours in front of. I also consider it the best out of all the 'Theme' games. Only problem is availability. At this stage the only place to get it is ebay I imagine and that could take a few days for delivery :(

So Peggle might be the best choice, you can download it off steam for about €10

you can get theme hospital handily enough in the cheapo section in game actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

if have about 100 old retro acade games i can stick on a cd/floppy disc if you like ?? they run perfect oin my P1 laptop with windows 95 so your laptop will run them perfect...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Ugh, peggle.
    Never again, I like to eat every few hours.

probably proving myself to be too much of a TNG geek, but peggle reminds of that episode of Star Trek called "The Game"... where they played a simple VR game of putting discs in funnels and getting an endorphin hit from it.

Peggle is like crack cochain for the brain... I've seen normal, non gamer people have one or two goes at it and then I literally have to pry the mouse out of their hand to get them to stop.

ST-TNG_The_Game.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Thanks again all for the suggestions - that new 'thank poster' function got a good outing.

He's got plenty to keep him busy, esp Planet Earth an a load of classic games.

@ S.I.R what do you reckon on sticking them online for others to use in their 'grab bag'? I can arrange some hosting and get it in the sticky.

Advertisement