Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

T.y.o

Options
  • 14-03-2008 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Should i do it? is it worth it? is it any good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,747 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Ill Tell You now why you should'nt do it.
    1) After a while you will realise that ye are doing nothing and it becomes dull
    2) You will get sick and tired of people in your class trying to be funny
    3) When you are finished you will have another 2 years your friends that didnt do it will only have 1 year left. (This is what I regret most about T.Y)
    4) You will find yourself becoming very lazy, wont do work etc...
    5) They say if you do T.Y on average you get 20 points more in the L.C than people that didnt do T.Y..This is a lie...it doesnt make a difference...DONT DO IT..You might enjoy it during the year until January,,Then you will seriously regret it :(:(!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

callaway92 wrote: »
    3) When you are finished you will have another 2 years your friends that didnt do it will only have 1 year left. (This is what I regret most about T.Y)
    5) They say if you do T.Y on average you get 20 points more in the L.C than people that didnt do T.Y..This is a lie...it doesnt make a difference...DONT DO IT..You might enjoy it during the year until January,,Then you will seriously regret it :(:(!!!

+ 1

I went on a trip and it was class, but apart from that TY has sucked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭-Els-

Well I'm in TY at the moment and I love it. You're proabbly sick of hearing it but it is completely what you make of it. I would give you one piece of advice though- If none of your friends are doing it, don't do it. Make sure at least 2 of your friends do it. I knwo form my experience that what has made my TY is I spend SO much time with my friends and we all know each other so well. But I know if none of my friends were in 4th year I would hate it. And if all your friends are in 5th year they'll be much busier and cant go out as much as you and you'll be bored.

The same goes the other way- if all your friends are doing it, do it, otherwise you'll feel really left out and maybe you won't keep in touch as much and will grown apart. I know I said I would still stay good friends with the people who went into 5th year but really I'm not half as close with them as I was before.

Ty is great though, My school pretty much does nothing (seriously- nothing!) but i got involved in stuff outside school which has made it good for me. Its good aswell if you're not sure what you want to do when you leave school aswell. I know if I had made my subject choice last june and gone into 5th year I would have made a huge mistake!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Its only good if you really want to do it, its compulsary in my school. which mean we do loads of work! Full steam ahead in History honours maths and french!
    eugh! was horrible!
    Only one trip everyone done! and even then we were divided up into 6 groups one group dong about an hours drive away for one night!
    Other trips are only good if you can afford to pay a gran d to go half way around the world! (and people brought about a grands spening money)
    MOdules can be crap
    i was in a group with none of my friends.. and everyone else in that group had their friends so i was like such a loner!!
    sad times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 siobhanher

If the programme in your school is good, it will help you. But you have to get involved in everything to make it worthwhile. If you don't like a lot of people then reconsider doing it cause you're gonna be put in groups of people like KatCookie said, and you might hate everyone. They tell you you'll make new friends but you most likely won't. I found my attendance went up from like 75% to like 95% or something crazy like that. If you're anyway like iffy about subject choices then do it cause it really helped me there. I completely changed my mind and now I'm certain of what I want to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

How good transition year is really depends on how much effort and money they put into it. Not trying to sound snobby but a lot of my friends in public schools didn't like it while most of my friends in private schools loved it.

You can do some great things in transition year if your school allows you to. A guy in my school went to a PGA golf academy in florida and trained there for 6 months. I'm doing it next year and from march to may me and my friend are going to a boarding school near Nice in the south of france, this is done by a private company though, not my school.

Really it's what you want to do, you can layback and do nothing, resulting in having a **** year and being lazy in 5th year or you could do some amazing stuff and have some amazing trips. sounds stupid but it's what you make of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭TransititionMan

callaway92 wrote: »

There are pros to cons,

1.Ty is proven to improve your leaving cert points to an average of 30 points.
    2. Its fun also and your teachers will grow to like you as it shows yopu have an interest in school.
    3. Career Guidence.
    4. Work Experience.
    5. Lots of rewards and certificates at the end that look brilliant on CV's.
    6. You can gain financially from it with the Mini Company and it helps you get closer to your classmates and confidence and self belief soars.

Advertisement