Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

interest rates.

• 14-03-2008 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭

If you were buying property now,which interest rate would you opt for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭homer911

The lowest??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭berliner

homer911 wrote: »
    The lowest??
    Oh dear..well at least you tried.Guess i'm in the wrong place for the answer i'm seeking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

I would split and go with some fixed (maybe 50%) and let the other float on an ECB tracker. ECB is under pressure to cut but so far hasnt. If the global situation continues (e.g. dollar weakness, etc) then they will have to cut before year end (poss more than once). Unlikely rates will go up in the short term.

Hedge your bets and commit to making a set repayment for the first 12 months based on the rates for day 1. If the rates drop then overpay against the capital of the loan for that time, then after 12 months review and if rates look like they will remain steady, readjust your repayments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭portomar

kenco wrote: »
    I would split and go with some fixed (maybe 50%) and let the other float on an ECB tracker. ECB is under pressure to cut but so far hasnt. If the global situation continues (e.g. dollar weakness, etc) then they will have to cut before year end (poss more than once). Unlikely rates will go up in the short term.

Hedge your bets and commit to making a set repayment for the first 12 months based on the rates for day 1. If the rates drop then overpay against the capital of the loan for that time, then after 12 months review and if rates look like they will remain steady, readjust your repayments.

poppycock. the ecb has a mandate for fighting inflation, not boosting its currency, or (like the us fed) promoting growth. they talk about the need for a strong dollar but i cant see them cutting rates to reverse an exchange rate. they will cut rates if inflation falls, unlikely.

id go for 50% fixed if i could do it.

Still haven't reached a decision but I believe the ECB will cut rates so a tracker seems like a good bet.Whaddy reckon??:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

glad to see youre with me on this dave

daveirl wrote: »
    read a lot of articles and everything points to a cut.i'd be 80% confident of a cut by the middle of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

the more important issue here is if buying the property now is the right decision: a mistake here will make the wrong interest rate look like .....

• Advertisement

berliner wrote: »
    read a lot of articles and everything points to a cut.i'd be 80% confident of a cut by the middle of the year.

any of these articles written by economists who work for banks, mortgage lenders, estate agencies, builiding companies or builders trade associations by any chance!?

now, the ECB has no mandate to cut rates to weaken its currency, it has no mandate to cut rates to stimulate growth, it has 1 mandate, and that is price stability, i.e. low inflation. inflation is skyrocketting, led my commodities in particular and also wage demands, particularly public, particularly in Germany. The ecb look like they will follow they're mandate, because they are essentially the bundesbank, only larger and with a french head. The bundesbank were possibly histories most successful central bank, particularly at tackling infaltion. The French central bank, formerly headed by trichet, could be equally as stubborn on rates (one of trichets famous quotes from back in the day was "what has unemployment got to do with me?" when under pressure to cut rates)

The only chink in the armour for people like myself and daveirl who see no prospect of a rate cut in frankfurt is that the ecb is a relativiley new institution who we have never seen in a situation of rapid rate cuts by the us, coupled with high inflation in euro area, so this will test the mettel of their independence from political influence. my gut tells me they will not deviate from their mandate, and hence no rate cut.

as an aside, current uk retail sales show an early indication of high sales in february, if more of the same is seen coupled with high inflation, the BoEs rate cutting cycle may have come to an end already. this would leave the fed all on its own in slashing rates, even in the anglosphere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Trichet has acceded that the exchange rate is a concern. The comment was understood to mean that it fell within ECB remit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭homer911

berliner wrote: »
    Oh dear..well at least you tried.Guess i'm in the wrong place for the answer i'm seeking.

Ask a stupid question...

You should have asked what sort of loan: Fixed (and duration), Variable, Tracker, Capped Tracker,...

exactly. also, the meer fact that trichet highlighted it as a concern helped push the dollar higher, i.e. job done without a rate cut.

homer911 wrote: »
    Ask a stupid question...

You should have asked what sort of loan: Fixed (and duration), Variable, Tracker, Capped Tracker,...
    I thought it was obvious so I didn't ask.Assuming intelligence!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

BOI report today suggesting one possibly two rate cuts before year end.

May or may not happen but the start of this thread was a simple question from a poster looking for advice.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Afuera

BOI report today suggesting one possibly two rate cuts before year end.
    Would you pay the same attention to a report from BMW stating that now is a great time to pick up one of their new cars?

Back in the real world, the head of the ECB is stating that there are no cuts in interest rates on the cards:
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=ao10ZzjMue8k

BOI report today suggesting one possibly two rate cuts before year end./QUOTE]

LOL. this the same boi that provides a massive amount of mortgages? i agree whole heartedly with the poster above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭DJDC

Ha interest rate future contracts have moved in a upward direction the last few days with the markets clearly believing the Dec rate to be at 4%.

Makes you wonder about the quality of research analysts working in Irish banks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Turbodreams

if i was getting a mortgage id actually fix now too, 10 years if i could. i love when people say that we shouldnt be in the euro because we could be cutting rates now with the downturn, when exactly could our central bank sustain 4%!!??

portomar wrote: »
    if i was getting a mortgage id actually fix now too, 10 years if i could.

I personally think you would be mad to fix now but I guess each person has their own opinion. Feel free to say “I told you so” in 10 years though if you want to!

• Advertisement

I personally think you would be mad to fix now but I guess each person has their own opinion. Feel free to say “I told you so” in 10 years though if you want to!

The possible downside to interest rates is about 2% from where they are now (unless we'd face a japanese dysflation scenario, then 4% would be the possible downside but thats unlikely) the upside is how much? 6%, 8%, 12%??

Maybe it’s a naïve anticipation but im waiting till 3% before considering fixing!

Maybe it’s a naïve anticipation but im waiting till 3% before considering fixing!

given the economic situation on the continent that brought about interest rates that low, were we to suffer similar, i have a feeling that interst rates might be low on our priorities list!

Advertisement