Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ogham tattoo

Options
  • 14-03-2008 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

i want to get my surname tattoo'd in ogham down my side.
    has anyone else got an ogham tattoo done by someone that they'd recommend? i know its a simple design, but i've seen some of the simplest tattoos turn out looking like ****e.
    dublin meath area preferably!
    cheers :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

*dolly* wrote: »
    i want to get my surname tattoo'd in ogham down my side.
    has anyone else got an ogham tattoo done by someone that they'd recommend? i know its a simple design, but i've seen some of the simplest tattoos turn out looking like ****e.
    dublin meath area preferably!
    cheers :D

One thing I will say is research the ogham very carefully. I've seen an american guy with an ogham tattoo with his name 'Marc' tattooed on his leg... Except he had it spelt from top to bottom which is NOT the way ogham is read. It's read from bottom to top. It's important to know these things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 *dolly*

LOL
    yeah ive researched it
    do you have one aoife?
    on a straight line or with the feather/taily thing at the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

does anyone remember the dude who wanted a celticy spiral and asked where he should go and then went somewhere nobody'd heard of anyway? it looked really great, but i can't remember where he went...

untitled-3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

yep, that's ogham davey. i was just saying that the engrained effect looked particularly good, as opposed to just a straightforward line.

• Advertisement

yep, that's ogham davey. i was just saying that the engrained effect looked particularly good, as opposed to just a straightforward line.
    the pic you post is it ogham as well?

nope, but a celtic design, done in a style that implies it was carved into stone, which is what ogham would have been.

nope, but a celtic design, done in a style that implies it was carved into stone, which is what ogham would have been.
    i must need mor study for this as all i know its lines engraved onto stones as im a english/irish woulnt have a clue.

well yes... lines... engraved onto stones... that's the effect of the picture i posted... just... ogham was from celtic times, and carved onto stones... that's how it was... so i posted a pic that depicted a 'carved onto stone' effect, as i thought it would be more interesting than a modernised bastardisation of the original script.

*dolly* wrote: »
    LOL
    yeah ive researched it
    do you have one aoife?
    on a straight line or with the feather/taily thing at the end?

I don't have one yet but it's in my little folder of 'tattoo ideas' in my head! If i was gettin it though i'd go for the 'carved on stone' look and not straight edged. I think that because it is ogham and is found on many standing stones etc around Ireland and the world that keepin it authentic would look the coolest! I'd go for either my calf or foot depending on what words i want. Good luck with it...i'm very jealous that you've your mind made up. I'm tryin to decide what to get for my 3rd and i've so many ideas floating around in my head that it's annoying me that i don't have the cash to just get them all done at once lol

• Advertisement

aoife2k wrote: »
    I don't have one yet but it's in my little folder of 'tattoo ideas' in my head! If i was gettin it though i'd go for the 'carved on stone' look and not straight edged. I think that because it is ogham and is found on many standing stones etc around Ireland and the world that keepin it authentic would look the coolest! I'd go for either my calf or foot depending on what words i want. Good luck with it...i'm very jealous that you've your mind made up. I'm tryin to decide what to get for my 3rd and i've so many ideas floating around in my head that it's annoying me that i don't have the cash to just get them all done at once lol
    as for ideas for tattoo why dont ye share them here some where.im sure youd get help.As for cash to get tats done you can put deposit on chosen tat and for example you paid €50 get the €50 worth done and go back for more until finnished,thats what i do.

really???? jeez, id never do that. It would take me ages to get it finished at that rate. Plus it's much better showing a finished one than a half assed one. If it's a big piece then fair enough but none of mine are guna be that big that i'll have to have a few sittings.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

does anyone remember the dude who wanted a celticy spiral and asked where he should go and then went somewhere nobody'd heard of anyway? it looked really great, but i can't remember where he went...

untitled-3.jpg

Was that some polish fella on ehh...beside where the peacock was?

really???? jeez, id never do that. It would take me ages to get it finished at that rate. Plus it's much better showing a finished one than a half assed one. If it's a big piece then fair enough but none of mine are guna be that big that i'll have to have a few sittings.
    it all depend how big the tat is.if you show your idea,it might give me an idea how long it will take and price guide.

@ bambi..

i've no idea tbh. i just remember him asking for advice, not taking, but linking us to the site where we could see his pic... i think emmet couldlnt see it or something, so i screenshotted it into my photobucket. i quite like it.

untitled-3.jpg
    i looked at the pic again is not what think,it is those tats that gets cut by one of those sharpe surgeon knife.I saw that kind of thing done somewhere?They take the skin off a leave a permanant scar whats it called?

no, it's not scarification, it's just a well done tattoo designed to look as though it's engraved.

davey180 wrote: »
    it all depend how big the tat is.if you show your idea,it might give me an idea how long it will take and price guide.

Your hardly a tattoo artist are ya? I presume not as you didn't know that the celtic design wasn't ogham. Surly price guide and how long it will take will depend on the artist i choose???

My ideas are to get my 'celtic tree of life' re done i.e coloured as its in white ink. The quote 'music is the voice of angels...' but where to put it is the problem and a sugar skull like this one http://api.ning.com/files/RVZ5t5ps7llMpos6JK6pgZErIS*7vr6jq2-5fPHJWPU_/LauraSugarSkull.jpg

I agree Crumble_Froo, it's a beautiful tattoo...i'd love one like that.

that celtic tattoo looks great
    i was thinking that the ogham would look very plain, but i was going to get a vine beside it at a later stage to pretty it up

aoife - why are you getting the white tattoo coloured?
    did you post a pic?
    friend of mine got some white on her hands, but it kinda looks like scars now
    i wanted to get an ankh on my hip in white but that put me off...

Your hardly a tattoo artist are ya? I presume not as you didn't know that the celtic design wasn't ogham. Surly price guide and how long it will take will depend on the artist i choose???

My ideas are to get my 'celtic tree of life' re done i.e coloured as its in white ink. The quote 'music is the voice of angels...' but where to put it is the problem and a sugar skull like this one http://api.ning.com/files/RVZ5t5ps7llMpos6JK6pgZErIS*7vr6jq2-5fPHJWPU_/LauraSugarSkull.jpg

I agree Crumble_Froo, it's a beautiful tattoo...i'd love one like that.
    no im not a tat artist it just ive seen so many tats done by local tattooist every day as hes a good friend of mine.As for celtic designs there thousands of them.tattooists charge between €80 to €150 an hour depends how good the tattooist is.sugar tats are lovely tats but white ink in my opinion not great to have.
    http://api.ning.com/files/RVZ5t5ps7l...SugarSkull.jpg would take about 5 good hours about €450 id say.

• Advertisement

Why am I getting it coloured??? Because it looks like a scar and the tattoo artist who did it was sh**e. Bits are filled in and other bits aren't. I'll try get a pic up as soon as I get a good one. The only one i have is really crap and was taken the day I got it done so it's fairly visible as it's raised.

yeah thats pretty much the same look my friend ended up with
    very disappointing

think ill be sticking to black

well black/grey would be cool for the particular tatt you're getting. I want to really colour mine up this is what i have but in white....http://www.tantalizing-tattoo.com/images/Celtic-Tree-of-Life.jpg i want it extended tho to almost 'lick' my wrist bone coming from underneath if that makes any sense!

dolly, have you looked up any tattoo artists in your area? myspace is great for it: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=170620719&MyToken=67cadf1e-0118-42d4-8bb0-2e863a076650

i live in navan and i havent heard great things about the studios here
    thats why i was thinking of heading towards city centre
    just wanted to know if anyone had gotten an ogham tattoo specifically
    yknow different artists, different strengths

heading to la in may
    might start researching artists there
    god knows what ill come home with!
    lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

where in LA you headed? i was there a 2months ago and know some people there, outer limits tattoo is pretty good, theyve about 4 studios dotted around the orange county area.

dunno wilburt. trying to decide where to stay right now!
    santa monica and venice beach were recommended to us?
    do you have any suggestions?
    we'll be driving to vegas for a few days too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

for tattoos? places in vegas are good, saw one guy getting tattoo'd there.
    i will ask my mate who gets inked there and let ya know the studio name etc,

ok woah! didn't know you were going to the states?! If I was you i'd wait till i got there cuz ther's a wide range of good tattooists in most of the big cities. I'm even more jealous now lol

cheers wilburt

ill bring you back a magnet aoife!
    lol

ps - LOVE that interpretation of the tree of life
    id nearly yoink it myself
    one at a time tho!

• Advertisement

woo hoo a magnet! Now i'm happy *satisified face*

Advertisement