Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ogham tattoo

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

*dolly* wrote: »
    i live in navan and i havent heard great things about the studios here
    thats why i was thinking of heading towards city centre
    just wanted to know if anyone had gotten an ogham tattoo specifically
    yknow different artists, different strengths

heading to la in may
    might start researching artists there
    god knows what ill come home with!
    lol

Deres one from Classic Ink, looks alright to me

brenog.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

Bambi wrote: »
    Deres one from Classic Ink, looks alright to me

brenog.jpg
    that looks great nice and straight,i wonder who can decipher it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭truthinwords

I know a guy with a negative space oghm tattoo that looks amazing. I'd deffo recomend getting it done negative space if you can.

xtruthx

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

negaitve space or the engraved look i reckon... im not hugely fond of hte straight line effect myself, but that's just my own opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

davey180 wrote: »
    that looks great nice and straight,i wonder who can decipher it.

It says "Brendan".

@ Crumblefroo:
    I also think that the engraved look would be the only way to go with this! Considering that Ogham was engraved into stones, it'd look the most authentic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

It says "Brendan".
    how did ye work that out Damo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

Ogham is read from bottom to top..... here's the 'alphabet' http://www.ballybegvillage.com/images/Ogham_letters.gif

Google is your friend in this particular case also, read up on it, tis very interesting. Dolly you have me really wanting an ogham one now. I'm in Limerick (most of the time) so i must pop in to see Danny Bullman to see what he could do. :D

Happy St. Patricks Day :)http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/news/archives/irish-thumb.jpg

davey180 wrote: »
    how did ye work that out Damo?
    Thanks for the thanks Davey! :D Worked it out just like Aoife2k said, googled Ogham to get the translation.
    aoife2k wrote: »
    Dolly you have me really wanting an ogham one now.
    That's the danger with frequenting the body mod forum, lots of cool stuff going on all the time that make you wanna get it done yourself ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

I know a guy with a negative space oghm tattoo that looks amazing. I'd deffo recomend getting it done negative space if you can.

xtruthx

Any pics truth?

Ach sure Damo i know what you mean! I've a bit of extra cash floating about so Danny Bullman may be gettin a visit from me next week...I just love the feelin of gettin a tatt and then showing it off :)

That's the danger with great thing about frequenting the body mod forum, lots of cool stuff going on all the time that make you wanna get it done yourself ;)

much better :D

• Advertisement

Thanks for fixing it Crumble Froo! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Sgt Slaughter

Excuse my ignorance but what is negative spacing as supposed to the engraved look. Im thinking seriously about getting an ogham style tattoo but ive never seen it done or pics. I was thinking of getting what that fella brendan got a straight line, but people keep going on about the engraved look so im really curious as to what that would look like, but obviously i dont want to get a f*cked up one. If i could see what an engraved ogham stone woud look like on someone then id have an idea. Any help or advice i can get on this would be greatly appreciated.

negative spacing, i think, would be having white where normally you'd have black...

engraved effect... i think would be to the effect of this tattoo...

untitled-3.jpg

Anyone got an idea of what engraved ogham would look like. Would it just be an outline if you know what i mean, or what? Im having trouble getting a picture in my mind of what an engraved ogham tattoo would look like

well, twould look like what i put up in that last post, except with straight lines instead of spirals... you might be able to put a stone on the back too, if you want.

Wasnt thinking of getting a stone in the background to be honest. I was thinking before i heard of this engraved thing of getting something very similar to a pic that was posted of black ink tattoo of ogham with the lines then representing what i want written on it. The carved idea sounds kinda cool but its hard for me to actually get a picture in my head of what that would look like. As in ogham is one vertical line with horizontal and diagonal lines crossing that vertical line to represent letters if you get me. But with an engraved tattoo would it not just be the outline of these lines that would be done so that there would be nothing in between if you know what i mean. And i dont know how that would look. Also with an engraved tattoo would it be bigger than say black line. The pic on boards of the fella with the ogham tattoo is quite big but what im thinking of getting is only 3 letters so quite small, and i intend to get old english / ancient writting underneath the ogham in gaelic.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭irishturkey

Does an ogham tattoo have to have the diagonal linbes at the end of the word? Or can it just be left open? How much would you expect to pay for one?

Advertisement