Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

opinions needed!

Options
  • 14-03-2008 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I have had many occasions i where i couldn’t afford the dress i wanted and the one i could afford i hated, i have decided to set up a business selling clothes for all occasions from weddings, debs, communions and just general evening wear!
    i am Dublin based and am just interested in comments on the prices, colours, styles and interest in buying top quality at a reduced rate??
    All comments welcome and appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I hate to shít all over your dreams but how exactly do you plan on selling these top quality products at a reduced rate? That should really be the first thing you look at. It's not like the wholesale price for these products is extremely low and the retailers are adding an insane mark up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 fallen-kiss

I hate to shít all over your dreams but how exactly do you plan on selling these top quality products at a reduced rate? That should really be the first thing you look at. It's not like the wholesale price for these products is extremely low and the retailers are adding an insane mark up.
    i have contacted some local designers who are very interested in creating new looks and having their gowns sold at suitable rates. so thanks for the concern but i can assure you my "dreams" are fully backed with research, interest and finance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Ooh Im sure I saw this post somewhere else *racks brains*

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭PonyP

I must say that I love the clothes that Coast usually stock although I am not mad about their current stock this Spring. Some of the Irish models that you see in the papers wear lovely dresses and I have never seen the dresses in the shops so it would be great if you could stock similar items!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭scoot on

I thought Fran and Jane had savage dresses last summer. I've done all my shopping online so far this year so haven't been into town so I can't comment on this years styles.

Btw I think having local designers designing the dresses is a great idea, at least then you can maybe offer an alteration service aswell if somebody needs something changed. I tried on an absolutely gorgeous dress last summer for a wedding. I fell completely in love with but I have scars on my back from surgery and the back of it went too far down and revealed too much. If it had been a local designer I could have asked them if they'd consider altering it but I wasn't going to spend 200+ euro on a dress just to bring it to a dressmakers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭campervan

I have had many occasions i where i couldn’t afford the dress i wanted and the one i could afford i hated, i have decided to set up a business selling clothes for all occasions from weddings, debs, communions and just general evening wear!
    i am Dublin based and am just interested in comments on the prices, colours, styles and interest in buying top quality at a reduced rate??
    All comments welcome and appreciated.

best of luck with your business! if you're asking for what styles people like, I do love coast dresses too, in nice summery colours - flower patterns, or light blues and pinks. i like chiffon type dresses, (i like boohoo.com) and just normal classy dresses, not really into the mad stuff they have in some shops now. littlewoods have nice ones too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

OP - i wouldn't know.
    i only benefit from ladies looking great in evening wear. so best of luck.

don';t mind this barrel of positivity.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

To be fair to AlimightyCoushin it does sound very idealistic, if were as easy, i'm sure loads of people would be at it. Also 'local designers' always fill me with fear, we have a local design school in my town, which is always being raved about, and after seeing some of the 'creations' on display, i couldn't help but see the sniggers around the room, and a general consenus of 'I wouldn't touch it with yours..'.

Anyhow if you reckon you can do it, here's my two cent..

Coast do have really nice stuff, but rarely buy as it's a killer to go to a wedding/night out and see someone else wearing 'your' dress, especially when you pay up to 250+ for it, this happens regulary with coast stuff as they never really have a hugh selection.
    Monsoon do sometimes get it right but I fell its a bit more formal and a little older in style.
    There are two local business which hire out dresses (one really formal, the other a mix), I really like this idea, and have done it a couple of times for dresses that i really loved but couldn't afford to buy at the time.

Other than that i go to boutiques, which makes me feel ancient, but is a neccessary evil if you want to make sure noone else is going to have it, again this is hit and miss as styles can be for older women but I generally get lucky.

Best of Luck with it any way and lets us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

I'm currently looking for a red dress ...l 60's style just above the knee flowy ... cant find any anywhere so i think you should stock those :D
    best of luck with it ... I think classy is always better!!!

Advertisement