Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moral Dilemma: Owe large sum of money

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

nah leeches like me never use commas or full stops

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Behave.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

Personally I dont see the dilemma, if the company cant get their act together on their billings and credit control well then i would welcome them to the real world and walk away.... this might seem a very simplistic and shallow attitude, the OP wasnt being careless with his money, we all live busy lives these days and an oversight like this is understandable, if i was in ur shoes and taught i could get away with it id let them go to hell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Oceana2u

Don't take advice from free-loaders, OP... their luck always runs out eventually.

Why not tell the company you'll pay 50 Euro a month and it will take a whole 14 months.... that shouldn't be a major strain on your day to day living costs.

At the end of the day it isn't really about whose fault it is. And even if the company DID slip up regarding the address aren't we all responsible for checking that our own finances are in order - why should they be out of pocket just because we're too busy to get our affairs in order.... doesn't sound like fair-play to me.

What you decide to do depends on how much value you place on your own integrity. The free-loaders like to call this "taking the moral high ground" 'cause that way they avoid facing the fact that their own integrity is in tatters.

And even from a practical perspective, if that company is like most others it will end up sellling the debt. As soon as the debt-collection process begins you start becoming liable for any additional costs incurred by the collection company (the costs of retrieving the debt from you) and so the problem will likely grow and grow. And if you stop hearing from them it doesn't necessarily mean the problem has gone away, they may have secured a judgement against you without your knowledge - something that can come back to haunt you in years to come when you go looking for finance.

Why not give yourself a break by avoiding all that unneccessary stress. If there's one lesson I've learned in life it's that sometimes money just costs too much.

Whatever you decide best of luck !

Oceana

Advertisement