Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Waits

Options
  • 15-03-2008 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

my uncle recently gave me his copy of tom waits album alice, and showed me a sound unlike any other i had heard before. from the gutteral insane 'Kommienezuspadt' to the odd and jazzy 'table top joe', a song about a singer born without a body, and 'poor edward' who had a face on the back of his head! this album rocked my socks off, check it out i implore you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Serpentine

Check out Bone Machine ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Rain Dogs Rain Dogs Rain Dogs.

cos I am a raaaaaindog tooooooo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 whelan11

ah stop Tom Waits is the absolute buisness, only person who touches bob dylan (with respect to just constantly putting out brilliant stuff with a "at least one gem per album" policy. other albums you NEED are

small change,
    closing time,
    Franks Wild years,
    and......... HEART ATTACK AND VINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

Kold wrote: »
    Rain Dogs Rain Dogs Rain Dogs.

cos I am a raaaaaindog tooooooo

ditto

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

There aren't many bad albums in his canon, I'm a huge fan of Closing Time as well as later stuff like Bone Machine and Mule Variations. Stick a pin in his discography, you won't be disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I found a copy of Closing Time at home last night and put it on because I'd seen it mentioned here. Twas my first time listening to Tom Waits but I'll definitely be listening to more of his stuff if I can get my hands on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

Nighthawks at the Diner is a gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Genius

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

All the above are highly recommended. My latest dip into his discog has led me to Mule Variations. Great stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Alice Junge

I am addicted to Real Gone its like Ry cooder is there in the room with him!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement