Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meade ETX-70AT (aka Lidl scope)

Options
  • 15-03-2008 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Ok, so here's the thing.....

Haven't used the scope in ages and today I took it out just to make sure everything was working fine. Everything was, until I decided to check the flip-up mirror. It flipped, but not as far as I'd have liked.

Upshot was that the mirror had separated from the platform that flips. After some dismantling and super-gluing, I managed to get it back on.

Proper telescope users turn away now to avoid any suffering!!!!

I discovered that holding the mirror in a pair of flat-head tweezers while applying glue to the frame is not good for the mirrored surface. I scratched it slightly - the scratch looked like an eyelash. Having left fingerprints on the mirror in an effort to remove what I thought was an eyelash, I decided to give it a quick clean with a moist tissue used for cleaning glasses. To anyone else who has a similar telescope and wants to use these wipes (purchased from the main competitor to Lidl) to clean the mirror, here's a word of warning - DON'T. I discovered that the wipes have a tendency to remove the surface of the mirror. It doesn't seem to be like a normal mirror - silvered on the backside. It's silvered on the upper side and the wipes remove this silvering.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for replacing the mirror? Is it worth leaving it down permanently and buying an extension to flip the image 90 degrees? Or could I cut a "normal" mirror to size and use that instead?

Mike

Advertisement