Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aero Theme in Vista Home Premium

• 15-03-2008 1:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hey people,

Just got a new computer today with Windows Vista Home Premium. Spent the day looking around it, getting used it.

A friend of mine told me about the Aero theme and I wanted to try it. However, some program I'm running mustn't be compatible as Aero won't work, but I can't work out what. I get an error saying something like there's a problem with "Windows Destkop Manager" or something like that.

Anyone any ideas or suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

What's running? You could try disable the programs 1 by 1 to find what's causing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Pegasus15

Hi, and thanks for the reply.

Please have a look at the attached image. That's all that I have running at the moment. I have other things installed (eg, programme for my Bluetooth Adapter, programme to do with my mobile phone, etc) but they aren't running at the moment.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

That list looks fine. There are a few icons in the tray I don't recognise though.

Click on "Start"
    Right click "My Computer" & click properties
    On the window that opens up if you have "Windows Experience Index: Unrated" (it will be in blue) showing click on it.
    On the next screen click "Refresh Now"

When thats done hopefully that will solve the problem.

Thanks again for the replies.

For some reason, I get an error if I try to run the Windows Experience Index. It searchs for solutions, but doesn't find any.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Have you tried updating video card drivers m8?

Nick

Upgrade the graphics driver and install all the latest Windows updates (make sure to restart even time it asks you to), but don't install Vista SP1.

When you have done that try this:
    • Go to C:\Windows\Performance\WinSAT\DataStore
    • Delete all of the files
    • Reboot (might not be necessary)
    • Refresh Windows Experience Index

Hey people.

There are no driver updates to my graphics card, and there are no files in that folder.

Could programes that are install but not running have any effect on this?

After flicking through the error reports, I found this:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: Dwm.exe
    Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386
    Application Timestamp: 4549aed1
    Fault Module Name: atiumdag.dll

And there's more technical stuff after that. After searching for the "fault module", it is located in "System32". Anyone got any suggestions that won't affect my data?

Edit:
    Just realised, this is a file that has something to do with my graphics card.

What graphics card have you got ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

That file is from the ATI graphics drivers, which seem to be crashing thus Aero not working. Just go to http://ati.amd.com and download the latest ones. They're probably more up to date than anything Windows Update has. If its a laptop though you'll probably have to do some messing about with the drivers to use them. Last time I had an ATI card (ages ago btw) they wouldn't support laptops at all and they'd just tell you to go to your OEM's website to get drivers. It was usually possible to get working ones for laptops from omegadrivers.net.

hellboy99 wrote: »
    What graphics card have you got ?

An ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT.
    Stephen wrote: »
    That file is from the ATI graphics drivers, which seem to be crashing thus Aero not working. Just go to http://ati.amd.com and download the latest ones. They're probably more up to date than anything Windows Update has. If its a laptop though you'll probably have to do some messing about with the drivers to use them. Last time I had an ATI card (ages ago btw) they wouldn't support laptops at all and they'd just tell you to go to your OEM's website to get drivers. It was usually possible to get working ones for laptops from omegadrivers.net.

Thanks, I'll try this now. It's actually a desktop that I have.

I'll let you all know how this goes.

Stephen wrote: »

You, my friend, are a legend :D

Working perfectly now. Thanks to all you great people for replying!

Advertisement