Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How hard is it to maintain Wooden Window frames ?

Options
  • 15-03-2008 1:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

We are planning to build an extension & would love wooden windows however we are living on an exposed site (to Atlantic Winds) but would like a relatively maintenance free option. Is there a low maintenance wooden option for exposed sites or do I need to go the uPvC / Aluminium route

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,156 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved to DIY

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

We are planning to build an extension & would love wooden windows however we are living on an exposed site (to Atlantic Winds) but would like a relatively maintenance free option. Is there a low maintenance wooden option for exposed sites or do I need to go the uPvC / Aluminium route

I believe there is nothing in life 'maintainence free'! All cars from mini's to Ferrari need servicing as will almost everything you own, in one way or another.

The life of the window is as dependant on the manufacture process as it is on the materials used. It is impossible to describe the qualities of wood windows in a generic way as each window is only as good as the company that manufactures it.

A Ral factory painted pine window is the best value for money window you can buy IMO. Ral paint will be very simple to maintain in comparison to a laquer or a varnish. So long as you can stop your 'builders' covering the windows with plaster, leaving it to cure before taking scrapers to hack it off all the while telling you this is how it is done:mad: your windows should last you an easy 20 years with twice a year cleaning of frames as well as glass. Then only touch up. This of course is based on an assumption that you have correctly installed cills, guttering, professional window installation and as I started of with, a manufacturer with high standards! Laquered finishes will last the same amount of time however would be more difficult to touch up and laquer will display any problems earlier.

A big buzz word is AluClad. Great windows but you will pay for them, appx 40% ~ 45% depending on fenestration. Nothing is maintainence free and budgets must be balanced.

Dont buy uPVC, it is ruining our world for our childeren and will soon be outlawed altogether!:)

Sorry muffler did not see your move before posting:o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

OT,Still nothing in post Blackiebest.....?

k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,156 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Sorry muffler did not see your move before posting:o
    No probs, You are outa my radar now. :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Sorry blackiebest, am i missing something here or are you using this site as an advertising board? Have you discussed advertising rates with the site owners?

delly wrote: »
    Sorry blackiebest, am i missing something here or are you using this site as an advertising board? Have you discussed advertising rates with the site owners?

Delly,

Regret any misunderstanding on my intentions. I am not here to advertise or pimp for business. I was trying to offer sound advice. Will not happen again. Have edited posts.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Grand so.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 badkittybad

OK THANKS
    your advice is apriciatied

• Advertisement
Advertisement