Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obamas preacher is nuts

Options
  • 15-03-2008 4:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

Just saw this on Fox News (was flicking and it caught my eye).
    He said that 9/11 was America's chickens coming home to roost.
    And he said a few other things too.
    The guy seems nuts.
    I'll grab a link if I can.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3WtDdIgHMA
    embedding disabled.
    This is one of Obamas leading supporters, who Obama has praised continually.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

The guy seems nuts.

What is nuts about that statement? The only nuts thing is that he had the stones to say it, and in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Heard George Hook on about it on Newstalk

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

More coverage

Jebus Fox news fills me with murderous rage.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    No matter how biased they are, there is no excusing what the preacher said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

He is a preacher, of course he is nuts.

Fox News is a bastion of truth, knowledge and love, they said so themselves.

No matter how biased they are, there is no excusing what the preacher said.

Which bit though?

The chickens coming home to roost?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Just saw this on Fox News (was flicking and it caught my eye).
    And he said a few other things too.
    The guy seems nuts.
    I'll grab a link if I can.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3WtDdIgHMA
    embedding disabled.
    This is one of Obamas leading supporters, who Obama has praised continually.

well 9/11 was a direct consequence of decades of imperialistic American Govt foreign policy, so he's right about that. The individuals who unfortunately suffered certainly did NOT "deserve" it but America is kidding itself if it doesn't realise that actions always trigger reactions. Also, recognising this fact is not condoning the violence but the first step to ending it.

Lastly, who gives a crap what Obama's preacher says? Fox news have been broadcasting this crap heavily. They can't touch obama so they focus on any satellite nonsense they can find in order to force him to respond as opposed to talking about the real issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Orbghost

The preacher was spot on, if only more folks shared his insight.

It's a shame Obama can't agree with him. Judging by the reaction to this there's a massive amount of American folks who are clearly not very educated when it comes to their own country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭bartholomewbinn

9/11 was a direct consequence of America’s total and unconditional support for Israel with the absolute exclusion of the Palestinian people. Americans do not believe this of course, but then people will always believe what they want to believe anyway. Fox news is a complete joke, and only people as unsophisticated as Americans are would believe anything they say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Orbghost

9/11 was a direct consequence of America’s total and unconditional support for Israel with the absolute exclusion of the Palestinian people. Americans do not believe this of course, but then people will always believe what they want to believe anyway. Fox news is a complete joke, and only people as unsophisticated as Americans are would believe anything they say.

I wouldn't make sweeping statements regarding all of our American friends. The ones I have had the pleasure of meeting have been well informed and totally disgusted by the Bush administration. I also don't think you can pin 9/11 just on the Israeli/Palestine issues. It goes way beyond that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

For the record, ABC broke the video, not Fox.

According to CNN the issue wasn't the 'coming home to roost' comment as much as the claims that Hillary will win because she is white and a part of the system which has methodically and actively attempted to keep blacks as a downtrodden servient underclass. The pastor seems to be a sort of Reverend Jackson.
    [...]the Illinois senator denounced some of the ministers's sermons, calling them "inflammatory and appalling."

"I categorically denounce any statement that disparages our great country or serves to divide us from our allies," Obama wrote on the liberal Web site Huffingtonpost.com about recently surfaced sermons from Wright -- his longtime pastor at the Trinity United Church of Christ.

"I also believe that words that degrade individuals have no place in our public dialogue, whether it's on the campaign stump or in the pulpit," Obama continued. "In sum, I reject outright the statements by Rev. Wright that are at issue."

Obama, during the CNN interview, said, "I just don't think it's necessary to talk about Senator Clinton or anybody in those terms."

NTM

For the record, ABC broke the video, not Fox.

According to CNN the issue wasn't the 'coming home to roost' comment as much as the claims that Hillary will win because she is white and a part of the system which has methodically and actively attempted to keep blacks as a downtrodden servient underclass. The pastor seems to be a sort of Reverend Jackson.

NTM

Considering how messed up Americans are I don't think Obama had a choice but to denounce his pastor's comments if he wanted to stay in the election race. It's sad really. I used to remember a time when I had so much love and respect for that country.

Which bit though?

The chickens coming home to roost?

I'm talking about the racist rant.

DIT: He claimed that the Roman Empire was a racist institution.

Memnoch wrote: »
    Considering how messed up Americans are I don't think Obama had a choice but to denounce his pastor's comments if he wanted to stay in the election race. It's sad really. I used to remember a time when I had so much love and respect for that country.

You saying that you believe that the pastor is correct in his assertions that the US is run as a white supremacy movement?

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

yup

• Registered Users Posts: 83,247 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'd sign on that.
    The government gives them the drugs, builds bigger prisons and wants us to sing God Bless America? No no no. Not God Bless America: God Damn America.

Sounds right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

most of what he said is completely right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

I have read all the posts on this and it seems that most people around here are in agreement with this guy, seems most people here hate america, and are racist against white people, but that is an aside.

The real point is that the link between Obama and this guy reagadless of how stong will be enough to scare off many liberial democrat voters. Reagrdless of what people on this borad think most Americans do not like to hear fellow Americans condemn the country in such fiery terms, also I cannot see many white working class, union, type voters warming to Obama after listening to his preacher

I would imagine many that have supported Obama in the Democrat party are very worried that this will swing the voters in the remaining primaries and the super delegates towards Clinton.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

<snip>Fox news is a complete joke, and only people as unsophisticated as Americans are would believe anything they say.
    Considering how messed up Americans are <snip>
    I'm talking about the racist rant.

Minister, you might qualify which one. There are a few different 'racist' rants on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,247 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Benedict has a point, but I dunno. Barrack Obama's entire campaign is based on 'turning the page' and that has a lot to do with criticizing whats in place (by necessity) I'd say a lot of his existing supporters both delegate and citizen already feel this way (about the prisons and aristocracy and such) so I doubt for many of them this will sway them significantly. That said it will give Hillary a push in the polls.

You saying that you believe that the pastor is correct in his assertions that the US is run as a white supremacy movement?

NTM

Read what I said above in my first post.

I think the pastor is right that 9/11 was a consequence of years of malevolent foreign policy decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

TJJP wrote: »
    Minister, you might qualify which one. There are a few different 'racist' rants on this thread.
    Americans aren't a race.

Read what I said above in my first post.

I think the pastor is right that 9/11 was a consequence of years of malevolent foreign policy decisions.

That's not the bit that's proving most controversial, however. Sure, the right are complaining about the 9/11 comments, but what's worrying the left is the racism commentary.
    yup

Well, how can one argue with that?

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

This pastor nutjob is really starting to get on my nerves. He is loving all the attention, full of his own self-importance. Of course he's been made into a political issue by Obama's rivals and yeah, give an interview to explain yourself by all means. But he's starting to give press conferences now, telling Obama he's coming after him etc. Someone please lift the rock so he can crawl back under it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

This stuff has really crapped badly on his campaign: a pity but....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭berliner

Because they tell the truth.For crying out loud 90% of the media is left liberal.Can conservatives have one lousy channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

berliner wrote: »
    Because they tell the truth.For crying out loud 90% of the media is left liberal.Can conservatives have one lousy channel.

Really? Fox news is a propaganda spin machine so much so that even programs on the fox network make jokes about it, (fair and balanced) I always wondered how they manage to say that with a straight face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭irishsurfer

As with Mike Moore I want to say a word about the basic decency I have seen in Mr. Obama. Mrs. Clinton continues to throw the Rev. Wright up in his face as part of her mission to keep stoking the fears of White America.

Every time she does this it is hard not to shout at the TV, "Say it, Obama!

Say that when she and her husband were having marital difficulties regarding Monica Lewinsky, who did she and Bill bring to the White House for 'spiritual counseling?' THE REVEREND JEREMIAH WRIGHT!"

• Advertisement
Advertisement