Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearms Officers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

Update....but little progress.

Seeing as I can't get in touch with my local FO i've been advised to approach the Sargent in charge of the station I'm looking to submit my application to.

I'm thinking he'll only pass me on to the FO and said FO might be pissed off that I went over his head. Am I being too worried about annoying the garda ? I know I have a legal right to apply for a FAC but I'm afraid that if I push it too much my FO will simply stamp "not recommended" on the form for the Super and thats the end of that.

I've heard of people having arguments and winning with their Supers but having had no contact with the Gardai in all my years I'm a bit reluctant to get feisty with them.

End of the day I suppose I'm asking, "Are Gardai reasonable and fair" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Heckler wrote: »

Seeing as I can't get in touch with my local FO i've been advised to approach the Sargent in charge of the station I'm looking to submit my application to.

I'm thinking he'll only pass me on to the FO and said FO might be pissed off that I went over his head. Am I being too worried about annoying the garda ? I know I have a legal right to apply for a FAC but I'm afraid that if I push it too much my FO will simply stamp "not recommended" on the form for the Super and thats the end of that.

I've heard of people having arguments and winning with their Supers but having had no contact with the Gardai in all my years I'm a bit reluctant to get feisty with them.

make your application to the super in a sealed envelope , he will delegate
    ,this will get the ball rolling, ive did this on several occasions ,it works;)

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

I'm thinking he'll only pass me on to the FO and said FO might be pissed off that I went over his head.

I'd contact the Sergeant and start with something like: "I can't get a hold of <name of FO> for a firearms cert application, can you help me with it?". If he bounces you to the FO then a fair follow-up would be to ask him for advice on how to catch the FO to submit the application. Depending on the station, the FO could be stuck with all sorts of other duties and could be quite busy so the station Sergeant should probably have a good idea of how to catch him.
    Am I being too worried about annoying the garda ? I know I have a legal right to apply for a FAC but I'm afraid that if I push it too much my FO will simply stamp "not recommended" on the form for the Super and thats the end of that.

I'd save arguing as an absolute last resort (like if you meet with the FO and he says no to a reasonable request) since the Gardai are much more likely to be helpful if you don't p*ss them off.

Going over the FO's head might put their nose out of joint a bit or they might not care. You'll never know until you try it. Since you've been trying to catch him for so long I don't think it's unreasonable for you to do it. If you get no luck there, I'd say try the Super since they'd be the one ultimately deciding on the application.

In my experience, yes. That said, they're human, and since firearms cert applications are a) paperwork and b) non-urgent they're bound to get pushed to the bottom of the pile at times.

heckler in this situation where you cant make contact with your FO, a
    situation which is quite abysmal in modern society , I would have no hesitation in going " over his head" as his head is not available to you.
    to go over someones head they must be there to bypass.. but your problem is rather different..so make an appointment or post your application with a covering letter to the super, youll find that you will get a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

For those applying for a moderator perhaps you could attach this.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/hsl_pdf/2004/hsl04-01.pdf

• Advertisement

Traumadoc wrote: »
    For those applying for a moderator perhaps you could attach this.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/hsl_pdf/2004/hsl04-01.pdf

There's another interesting link from the references section of that PDF:

http://www.guns.connect.fi/rs/trial1999.html

Update AND progress.

After ringing the station yesterday and leaving yet another message the FO rang me back this morning. Have a 3pm appointment to meet him today to submit my application. Yay !! Wish me luck !! I'll let ye know how it goes.

Heckler

Update AND progress.

After ringing the station yesterday and leaving yet another message the FO rang me back this morning. Have a 3pm appointment to meet him today to submit my application. Yay !! Wish me luck !! I'll let ye know how it goes.

Excellent news.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 39,356 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I found my FO to be great, I left in the application on sunday, he rang me on tuesday morning, said the super would liek to see me, gave me a number to ring, meeting arranged, and another meeting next week and i'll have my answer,

From lodging app to FO ringing, A day and a half
    From meeting super to decision, a week,

The time inbetween was about a week, was up to me to arrange the meeting

• Advertisement

Well I'm back. A complete and unmitigated disaster.

A brief backtrack.

I live close to a dividing parish line when it comes to garda stations. Lets say station A and station B. When I started off applying for my FAC bout 3 months ago I rang station A and asked do I go to ye or station B to apply. Sgt. in charge at station A says oh no, you need Station B, you're under their jurisdiction.

So i've been ringing Station B for the past two months trying to get an appointment and had all my paperwork addressed to them. Lo and behold I arrive at station B today after eventually getting a call back after 2 months and countless phone calls, get chatting to the FO, nice guy, I'm thinking sorted. Until the address to register the gun comes up and What does he say ?????...You need to be in station A !!!!!!

I'm f***ing fuming here. 2 months wasted because some idiot sgt. doesn't even know what district he f**kin' polices. The FO I met today rang them to say they sent me to the wrong station but of course no-one there knew anything. Incidently neither station had the pc-20 forms.

<mod snip>

Maybe I'll change my mind when I calm down but right now I feel like just giving the whole thing up.

A few seasoned shooters have told me that when it comes to FAC's they don't want to know so I'd have no problem believing that the Sgt. in Station A was fobbing me off. It's either that or he doesn't know his area of responsibility. Whichever it is, its a disgrace.

Rant over.

Heckler

P.s. I know not all guards are the same and I'm generalising but I am so damn annoyed right now I don't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I was in the same boat, on the border between 2 districts. The border is my gate. I went to station A that I thought was the station I should have applied to. The sgt dug out the map and showed me where their area ended and where my stations area began.

Rather than sending me away to apply at station B, station A accepted my application and forwarded it to station B for me. Had a call from station B the next day confirming receipt of my application. Everything went ok after that.

Well I'm back. A complete and unmitigated disaster.

A brief backtrack.

I live close to a dividing parish line when it comes to garda stations. Lets say station A and station B. When I started off applying for my FAC bout 3 months ago I rang station A and asked do I go to ye or station B to apply. Sgt. in charge at station A says oh no, you need Station B, you're under their jurisdiction.

So i've been ringing Station B for the past two months trying to get an appointment and had all my paperwork addressed to them. Lo and behold I arrive at station B today after eventually getting a call back after 2 months and countless phone calls, get chatting to the FO, nice guy, I'm thinking sorted. Until the address to register the gun comes up and What does he say ?????...You need to be in station A !!!!!!

I'm f***ing fuming here. 2 months wasted because some idiot sgt. doesn't even know what district he f**kin' polices. The FO I met today rang them to say they sent me to the wrong station but of course no-one there knew anything. Incidently neither station had the pc-20 forms.

<mod snip>

Maybe I'll change my mind when I calm down but right now I feel like just giving the whole thing up.

A few seasoned shooters have told me that when it comes to FAC's they don't want to know so I'd have no problem believing that the Sgt. in Station A was fobbing me off. It's either that or he doesn't know his area of responsibility. Whichever it is, its a disgrace.

Rant over.

Heckler

P.s. I know not all guards are the same and I'm generalising but I am so damn annoyed right now I don't care.

know the feeling heckler..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

YEP, been there alright. Going into the station and asking for a gun licence can be like asking an old farmer, how much land he owns and what he payed for it:D

Keep at it and dont get fobbed off;)

chem wrote: »
    YEP, been there alright. Going into the station and asking for a gun licence can be like asking an old farmer, how much land he owns and what he payed for it:D

Keep at it and dont get fobbed off;)

laughin my ass of here:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

well there a man trying to do think the right way and after 2 months
    is told station b you will have to go to.heckler keep at it dont give up
    go to a fat ass T D tell hin the way you have been messed around:mad:
    get him to work on your behalf if that dont not work what to do.
    ring the newpapers.ring.joe duffy liveline.and tell them about the
    f-around you have been getting then see what happend next
    ans. sorry for the delays sir here is your fire arms cert sir:cool:
    dont give up steve;)

Don't give up.

thehair wrote: »
    well there a man trying to do think the right way and after 2 months
    is told station b you will have to go to.heckler keep at it dont give up
    go to a fat ass T D tell hin the way you have been messed around:mad:
    get him to work on your behalf if that dont not work what to do.
    ring the newpapers.ring.joe duffy liveline.and tell them about the
    f-around you have been getting then see what happend next
    ans. sorry for the delays sir here is your fire arms cert sir:cool:
    dont give up steve;)

Thanks lads.

I don't think its quite a case for Joe Duffy yet but thanks for your support. I'm after calming down now and while still very annoyed I'll just start over again with the right station. This time though i'm not taking any pawn offs or excuses. If I don't have a meeting with the FO within the month I'm going to the Super. Here we go again !!

Heckler

Update.

So-So result. After getting in touch with the right station 2 phone calls and 2 days later I got a meeting with the FO. Great result whatever about the outcome.

Gave in my application but the FO had a serious issue with one aspect of it (storage) and he reckoned the Super would too. I was very nervous because I never have any dealings with the Guards so I probably didn't come across very well. He said it wasn't ideal (the application) but he filled out the pc-20 (?) in front of me and said he'd be in touch.

Anyway, the application is in so i'm wondering how long I should leave it before I follow up. I'm not hopeful that the application will be successful. I can't see any reason why if he has any doubt at all that he'd sign off on it.

I'm a member of a gun club using borrowed club guns but I don't see any reason to carry on using them if I going to be denied a cert in a few months. I love shooting but if i'm denied a licence I'm not going to continue.

I'm slightly optimistic that the longer I don't hear from him means its been signed off on and is being processed but it could just mean he hasn't passed it on to the Super yet.

Would it be acceptable to ring him in a month or so just to find out whats going on ? If I'm refused a licence I get club fees back plus I'd like to be able to tell the guy i'm supposed to be buying the rifle off whats going on. I also have a refundable deposit on a gunsafe.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Heckler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

What issues does he/she have over storage ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

He couldn't have an issue with storage seeing as you're getting a gunsafe. Unless you've told him you're going to bolt it to the outside of the house or something.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

hi heckler if you have not got a gun safe go and put a few euro off one
    bring in the detail invoice to the fao officer and say to him will you
    be happy with the safe if i am granted a fac cert befort i get the
    fire arms i will have and bolton to the wall for you to inspect:cool:
    heckler read up on the type of firearm you are looking for .
    http://www.nargc.ie/Upload/Docs/NARG...ETY-MANUAL.pdf cool.gif
    also tell him you have read this book. check out the link:Dsteve
    it is about safety :cool:

thehair wrote: »
    hi heckler if you have not got a gun safe go and put a few euro off one
    bring in the detail invoice to the fao officer and say to him will you
    be happy with the safe if i am granted a fac cert befort i get the
    fire arms i will have and bolton to the wall for you to inspect:cool:
    heckler read up on the type of firearm you are looking for .
    http://www.nargc.ie/Upload/Docs/NARG...ETY-MANUAL.pdf cool.gif
    also tell him you have read this book. check out the link:Dsteve
    it is about safety :cool:

He already has a gun safe (deposit paid).
    Heckler wrote:
    I also have a refundable deposit on a gunsafe

Some FAOs want to see the safe in situ. That may be the problem.

The problem is I live in an apartment where the walls are not suitable for mounting a gunsafe. I wouldn't get permission for alterations from the landlord anyway. I also have no alarm. So my plan was to register and store the rifle at my mothers house. Its a private residence in a really quiet part of town with an Eircom phonewatch alarm system. I spend a lot of time there as it is but the FO wasn't happy that I wouldn't be there overnight.

I looked at the relevent sections of the Firearms Act and all it says is that you must provide safe and secure accomodation for the firearm. No mention of having to be resident there. I guess "safe and secure" could be interpreted by a FO to mean living under the same roof. I understand where he's coming from in that most burglarys take place at night time but I think the alarm should cover that. The safe would be on an independant sensor alarmed 24/7.

I think I've provided a very safe and secure place for the rifle but he wasn't happy and reckoned the Super wouldn't be either. So its wait and see time. Someone mentioned before that their FO had no problem registering a gun at a different address to where they were living so I thought i'd be ok. I guess all FO's are different.

So thats the current update. Any thoughts ?

Heckler, my thoughts on this would be too clearly explain your circumstances in the form of a letter, outlining the need to store the gun
    at your family home,where you could provide the highest possible level of
    safe storage within reason...if all else fails have your mother licence the gun alongside you..but on no account stop shooting.

best of luck

Hello all,

Nearly a month or so since I put the application in. Nothing yet but I don't expect to hear back for a while. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm optimistic that if he didn't recommend me to the Super that I'd have heard by now.

I spoke to the club secretary of my rifle club and he reckoned that there should be no problem and he told me to ring the FO in a week or two and ask what was happening.

Anybody have experience of being refused ? Do the powers that be let you know in a short time or could it be a case of waiting 3 months only to be told the application has been rejected ?

Regards,

Heckler

Hello all,

Nearly a month or so since I put the application in. Nothing yet but I don't expect to hear back for a while. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm optimistic that if he didn't recommend me to the Super that I'd have heard by now.

I spoke to the club secretary of my rifle club and he reckoned that there should be no problem and he told me to ring the FO in a week or two and ask what was happening.

Anybody have experience of being refused ? Do the powers that be let you know in a short time or could it be a case of waiting 3 months only to be told the application has been rejected ?

Regards,

Heckler
    I think in your case no news is good news, your club sec will have his finger on the pulse so to speak so he probably is the most clued up person
    to talk to-I had a firearms officer tell me wasnt happy with my security when looking for a forth firearm- i had a gunsafe securely bolted inside a
    wardrobe-with seperate storage in another part of the house for rifle bolts ammo etc, and this was several years ago!, however after some debate the matter was resolved in my favour by the local inspector.
    i have found that most times these matters will be resolved so keep your chin up;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I think in your case no news is good news, your club sec will have his finger on the pulse so to speak so he probably is the most clued up person
    Speaking as a club sec, "ye wha?"
    Seriously, we don't have a line to the gardai :D
    Give your firearms officer a call, and if he doesn't know, ring "Mary in the Park" :D

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    Speaking as a club sec, "ye wha?"
    Seriously, we don't have a line to the gardai :D
    Give your firearms officer a call, and if he doesn't know, ring "Mary in the Park" :D

In your case Sparks, not living in the locality you wouldn't know. Other club secs would be in fairly constant contact with their locals and would be better placed to make a judgment call.

If your club was in Greystones, you'd be and expert. Horses for courses :)

Advertisement