Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearms Officers

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

I think in your case no news is good news, your club sec will have his finger on the pulse so to speak so he probably is the most clued up person
    to talk to-I had a firearms officer tell me wasnt happy with my security when looking for a forth firearm- i had a gunsafe securely bolted inside a
    wardrobe-with seperate storage in another part of the house for rifle bolts ammo etc, and this was several years ago!, however after some debate the matter was resolved in my favour by the local inspector.
    i have found that most times these matters will be resolved so keep your chin up;)

+1 heckler. fight the good fight and you will come out a winner
    the prize a FIREARMS CERT steve:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

rrpc wrote: »
    In your case Sparks, not living in the locality you wouldn't know. Other club secs would be in fairly constant contact with their locals and would be better placed to make a judgment call.

If your club was in Greystones, you'd be and expert. Horses for courses :)

yeah rrpc quite right, i keep forgetting that some club secretarys dont enjoy a good relationship with the local boys in blue:D, us countryboys
    up here are spoiled:).

yeah rrpc quite right, i keep forgetting that some club secretarys dont enjoy a good relationship with the local boys in blue:D, us countryboys
    up here are spoiled:).
    aaa yes the wild west:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

rrpc wrote: »
    In your case Sparks, not living in the locality you wouldn't know. Other club secs would be in fairly constant contact with their locals and would be better placed to make a judgment call.
    I'd agree - except that when I was secretary for DURC - at which point I was spending most of my time across the road from the local super - the information flow wasn't any more extensive. Maybe if you grew up in the area and the local super thought of himself as a blow-in relative to you, it'd be different :D Or maybe it's just a per-Super thing and some are just more closed-off than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

YAY !!!!

Got my reply from An Garda today. Application successful and cert ready to be picked up at the station ! About a month and a half after I applied. Good result I reckon. I had kinda built myself up for a rejection so was delighted with the news. Dunno if its the same feeling on your 2nd or 3rd cert as your first but I was on a buzz for a while afterwards.

Was planning to pick up and install the gunsafe Saturday morning and the rifle saturday afternoon except that when I went to the station the Garda on duty said only the F.O. could give me the cert and he wouldn't be back till next thursday. Have to wait a full week :(

Or do I ?

I have the letter signed by an Inspector saying the application was successful. Now obviously I'm not going to take any chances but I was wondering does this allow me to take possession and/or use the rifle I'm buying or do I need to wait till I have the cert in my hand ? I'm buying privately. I can wait no problem but I'm sure you all know that feeling where you just want to get you hands on your new firearm. I'll still go ahead and install the gunsafe. Shur, whats another week.....

Anyway, its been an interesting and informative journey so far. I came late to shooting and if anybody had told me this time last year that not only would I be shooting but would have a cert and own my own rifle I'd have called them crazy. I still know next to nothing about the sport but can't wait to start learning.

Thanks for all your help and advice, I know I'll be needing plenty more as I go on :p

Heckler

• Advertisement

thehair wrote: »
    +1 heckler. fight the good fight and you will come out a winner
    the prize a FIREARMS CERT steve:D

AND THE WINNER IS HECKLER:D:D:D:D well done steve and welcome:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

Picked up my cert and rifle in the same afternoon. F.O. was sound. He is calling round in a week or so to make sure the serial numbers on the rifle and cert are the same. Which they are !!

Got myself off to the range tuesday without having to rely on anyone to provide a rifle and ammunition. Delighted with myself at the moment. To anyone about to go for a cert, go full steam ahead. Tis worth it !!!

Regards,

Heckler

great news heckler well done:Dsteve

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Fair play to you Heckler, at least some good news today. Enjoy and safe shooting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

congrats and do enjoy :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement