Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Check list for a service

Options
  • 15-03-2008 7:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I have a Mazda 626 it is a 2000 and it has a 2L diesel engine , just wondering has anybody got a checklist for servicing a car. I thought I might try doing it myself for a change.Any help or ideas would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Well do you know its history? If not you need to presume its due a major service.

Typical service

Oil & filter
    Air filter
    Drain fuel filter and change every second service
    Check brake wear all round
    Top up or change brake fluid(change every 2 years)
    Check Tyres
    Check wheel bearings for movement
    General underbonnet ckeck of hoses and belts
    Undercar check of cv boots, exhaust & mountings, brake lines, suspension bushes etc
    Check handbrake adjustment
    Check emmisions
    Glow plug function check or observe cold starting efficiency
    Top up washer fluid
    white grease to all locks & hinges
    Check light alignment and bulbs

Timing belt change if over required mileage( Change water pump & tensioer also)
    Chang Auxiliary belts if history unknown

Many garages just change oil & filter and have a quick look at tyres if you ask for a service!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 richroon

cheers thanks very much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

That'll keep you busy.

Also, change over your wipers if you need em.
    Check all levels incl. coolant and brake fluid and power steering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I normally do it in bits an pieces (3/4 of it one day) i've just to get my cv boots done and change the fuel filter when i get a chance.

OP get a haynes manual and have a bash (The way i learned). I tmost things are OK to do. I'm getting some to stick the CV boots on because it looks a big enough job.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Apart from timing belt work, the rest should be easy. without access to lift I wouldnt attempt cv boots or suspension parts replacement but you will be able to check boots for cracks.
    Not only will you save alot but you will know it has been well serviced.

• Advertisement
Advertisement