Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tibet to Nepal

• 15-03-2008 8:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I am going to China in April and will have roughly two months to enjoy my visit. I am very interested in going to Tibet and possibly going over into Nepal. After a short search on the web it appears that the only way for a foreigner to travel across Tibet is via a tour group. Has anybody taken the trek I'm thinking of by themselves, or is going by tour a mandatory requirement? And if the latter is the case, are there any seasoned travellers out there who have used a tour that did not add on a plane ticket, as I've thought of going to Tibet by rail? An inexperienced greenhorn would be very grateful for any and all info regarding!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭tea

If you really want to do a tour, try GAP Adventures' Tibet Adventure:

http://www.gapadventures.com/tour/ACTA

Its not cheap, but its quite good (a little more time would be nice), and Tibet can be a little expensive to get off the beaten track in even independently. No need to buy plane tickets - just meet in Beijing and leave from Kathmandu.

The whole tour permit requirement thing seems to change from day to day. When I was there last year, independent travellers who took the train didn't seem to get asked to buy a permit when they arrived(although they are supposed to buy one at Lhasa Train Station), but ran the risk of being turned back on the road to Nepal if they were stopped. Most of the independent travellers I met in Lhasa didn't really go any futher than there and a few day trips outside the city, partly due to the complexity and expensive of organising trips.

With all the riots etc in Tibet this week, I'd imagine that even in a few weeks, things will be a little tighter than they were last year.

Of course, all hearsay - I went there with a tour, and I'm sure there are lots of people who did the overland trip to Kathmandu independently, and while its probably quite do-able, I suspect the majority didn't bother.

Advertisement