Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best advice you got?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

It’s a cliché but it has to be RELAX and CONCENTRATE!

I know its an stupidly easy thing to say but for my 2nd test which I passed I was really nervous for the first 5mins and then I realised if I didn't relax I was going to fail, so I just took a min at traffic lights and calmed down, for the remainder of the test I was really focused and felt very much more in control of the outcome.

One major thing that made me feel at ease was when my new instructor pointed out that I was over exaggerating my head movements! All you need to do is do them once and efficiently.

Another one was as soon as the examiner says to take either a left or right, you immediately look in that mirror and indicate, I used to wait maybe 2/3 seconds then do it, which can lead to mistakes.

Finally for the roundabout I was told to use the handbrake after completing each movement, which again my new instructor pointed out was on necessary if the road had a hill, again this made me much more at ease completing the task. Hope it helps someone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭chicoben

Best advice I got? You may be the best driver ever, but on the day you could do something crazy that you'd never do, so don't worry about what the instructor might think and just drive like you usually do and don't set out to "impress" the tester. Relax! The tester isn't there to trick you or ask you any funny questions so go and do it and if you pass, you pass. If you don't, get back out and do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

SeanW wrote: »

And yes, do exaggerate your head movements when you're using your outside mirrors - so that there's no mistaking that your doing it..

No, DON'T exaggerate headmovements, it will look OTT and the examiner will think you are just looking in the mirrors for the sake of it, NOT to check for hazards!

Instead of exaggerating your headmovements, just make sure you actually MOVE your head when you NEED to check your mirrors, rather than "eyeballing" the mirrors - as another poster said, examiners can't see your eye movements!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Edit - duplicate post

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

eth0_ wrote: »
    as another poster said, examiners can't see your eye movements!
    It's up to the examiner to check that the driver is making proper observations. The driver shouldn't have to go out of their way to demonstrate it. They are, after all, requested to drive in a normal manner.

In other words - the burden of proof is with the examiner not the candidate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Trampas

My tips where as mentioned already is to reverse into the parking spot so means you can drive straight out but still indicate to say which way you going.

Also make the tester feel safe in the care by making him know you are always in control of the car and not the car controlling you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Best advice I got was just before the test: "make the tester feel safe, that's what they're essentially looking for".

My advice for the test would be: "concentrate on doing the next thing right". When I did my first test (which I failed), I was thinking back to something that happened earlier in the test, wondering if I'd failed then, and this led to me not concentrating and messing up some other things. It turned out later on the original incident wasn't an outright fail, but the later ones were.

For my second test, I tried to put out of my mind anything that was already done, and just concentrate on doing the next little thing right (I passed that time).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 siobhcc

The best advice I got was to:

1. Glance at schools, exits etc as you are passing them, you shouldnt have to exaggerate just show you are aware of them. You should be looking carefully especially where there may be children anyway!!

2. I had a huge problem with reversing around a corner but my instructor showed me how I could postition my mirror so I could see the road and the kerb (luckily I could do this with my Kia I know some cars have smaller mirrors so it may not be as easy)
    Once the kerb was in line with my back wheel I turned the wheel slightly, stopped, rechecked my blind spots and turned, keeping the kerb in sight at all times. If it was a sharp corner turn you wheel about 180 degrees, again keeping the kerb in site. Practice as much as you can though!

Observation is a huge key though- check left mirror, over your shoulder and right mirror constantly!

Advertisement