Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PS3 sales overtakes xbox 360

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

So what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I'd say bluray winning out over hd-dvd had something to do with that... probably a lot of people getting their cheap bluray players :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

That is the only reason people buy the ps3 over the 360. well either that or because microsoft are scabby bastids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Evolute wrote: »
    That is the only reason people buy the ps3 over the 360. well either that or because microsoft are scabby bastids

or coz they had 360s already and decided to get a ps3 as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

it was the same in january before hd dvd gave up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

who is buying those ps2's ! who !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Iraq! Their chip can be used to control a cruise missle.....or so Sony's PR hilariously spouted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,698 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Placebo wrote: »
    who is buying those ps2's ! who !!!

Yeah it is a bizarre state of affairs. Are people going in, looking at all the great new consoles available, and opting for old gen hardware?

Tbh, I though most households had a PS2 already. But it is just very strange that people keep on going and buying old gen hardware, whatever about cheapness. Not like any decent games are being released any more ('cept the odd one or two releases of offbeat Japanese RPGs like Persona 3 or Odin Sphere, which certainly wouldn't bother the average late consumer). May just be people cashing on the cheap availability of lots of great games. But 300 and something thousand of them a month? Hardly as if the average casual gamer is going to be buying a PS2 - not that many mainstream games like Brain Training or whatever.

Evolute wrote: »
    That is the only reason people buy the ps3 over the 360.
    Well, that and the xb360 sounds like a hair dryer by comparison.
    Now all we need are some good games... roll on April 29th!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Now all we need are some good games... roll on April 29th!

The PS3's never-ending quest for decent exclusive games, I've heard the
    same story for the last 12 months.

The only people I know who are buying PS3's are doing so in order
    to pick up a cheap blu-ray player. My PS3 gets used for nothing
    but blu-ray whereas the 360 is on daily for gaming.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/a91500/xbox-360-first-to-boast-1000-game-library.html
    Microsoft has announced its next-generation Xbox 360 games console will be the first new system to boast a 1,000 games library by summer.

The news, seen as a welcome announcement by the firm as it strives to make its console family-friendly, takes into account both boxed titles and those appearing on Xbox Live.

"We’ll have north of 1,000 games on 360 by the summer, across Live and boxed product," VP of Microsoft Interactive Entertainment Europe Chris Lewis told MCV.

Lewis also added that the Xbox Live service will be a major factor in Microsoft's attempts to make the Xbox 360 a family machine.

“The number of people that have signed up to the Live service so far is testament to the fact that there are a broad spectrum of consumers enjoying the service,” Lewis said.

“That can only grow as we expand the likes of Live Arcade and Live Video Store. We’re listening hard to what casual consumers want as you see us release more and more content that appeals to a broad audience.”

• Advertisement

I'm the same actually, most of my gaming gets done on the PC... my PS3 is sitting around waiting for MGS4, GTA4 and Resident Evil 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I thinkit's something to do with the fact the ps3 has a blu ray player and a hard drive, and they aren't scabby b*stards charging you for every little detail. Also the fact the price has come down a lot and maybe loads of people have an xbox already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Wonder how many XBox 360 owners also own PS3s? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I'm the same actually, most of my gaming gets done on the PC... my PS3 is sitting around waiting for MGS4, GTA4 and Resident Evil 5.
    same and until microsoft stop charging to play multiplayer online on a xbox i shant get one.

i would consider paying for multiplayer if it was dedicated servers but since you're more than likely playing on a game hosted on someone's ****ty eircom adsl connection it's not worth it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I play a lot of COD4 and Halo 3 online and I have to say 9/10 it work great. There is little lag or wait even if it is on someone's ****ty Eircom connection. You're missing out on some great online gaming.

Is it worth €50 or so a year? Maybe but I think they should offer a bit more i.e. the ability to join clans etc, win Mircrosoft points etc.

if i got one, i sure as hell wouldn't buy halo3 or any halo's for that matter. it's a hyped up piece of crap.

COD4 is good, but like all fps' is better on the PC.

maybe there is no lag on multiplayer but still having it hosted on someone's connection means the player count has to be low what is it 12 players? with dedicated servers that number could easily triple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭Damien360

Maybe the bad press Microsoft got for the failure rates of the 360 is finally beginning to bite.

Mine died for the second time in 15 months. I will continue with it until the end of the warranty for RROD. If it dies after that it goes in the bin. Then I will buy the PS3.

Blue-Ray does not appeal to me at the moment. A crap movie is still crap even when it looks lovely on your TV. Plus the movies on blu-ray cost a small fortune.

Do not play too much online but the lack of dedicated servers for PS3 would put me off online gaming but not the game machine.

but there aren't any dedicated servers for xbox either so that's a moot point no?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭mancduff

Oh but there are, not many i grant you but all EA games are on their servers, Burnout Paradise, Fifa 08 etc etc.

Frontlines Fuel of War is on dedicated servers with up to 50 online, from Wikipedia - "The game features dedicated servers similar to Battlefield 2: Modern Combat as well as client-side hosting found in the majority of Live-enabled Xbox 360 games. This is done in order to support the 50 player limit, which is unprecedented on the console. Client-side hosting will still be available, but will only support a 16 player maximum"

Hopefully this is what's to come on Live (seeing as were paying for it) because Gears is sh*te online with host advantage, the amount of times headshots don't register is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

This thread contains excessive amounts of rhetoric and biased, poorly formed opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

no wonder, a ps3 fanboy decided it was necessary to post sales figures favouring sony on a 360 forum. id like to see those figures post 360 price cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    no wonder, a ps3 fanboy decided it was necessary to post sales figures favouring sony on a 360 forum. id like to see those figures post 360 price cut.

As you correctly guessed:
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/a91830/xbox-360-uk-sales-surge-after-price-drop.html

Following Microsoft's Xbox 360 price drop last Friday, industry watcher Chart Track has revealed that sales have surged ahead by some 36%.

But despite the rise, Chart Track added that the jump was much lower than the 260% rise Microsoft enjoyed when it first cut the price of its next-gen console, though it admitted that that rise coincided with the launch of the Xbox 360 Elite system and the acclaimed BioShock game.

“During week 11, Xbox 360 enjoyed a 36% jump on week 10, which is a nice refreshing uplift for the console,” ChartTrack director Dorian Bloch told MCV. “That was just for the Friday and Saturday after the price cut."

“The 260% rise Xbox 360 enjoyed in August last year coincided with the introduction of Elite and BioShock coming onto the market, which obviously gave it a massive boost.”

Discussing the Xbox 360's long-term sales, Bloch added: "We need to wait two or three more weeks to see if the 360 sales surge will carry on. I would predict that it will increase again over the Easter period. It’s a bit of an odd year for the industry – Easter is early, and doesn’t coincide with the end of Q1 – when publishers traditionally release very big games – like it usually does."

Last week also saw sales of the PlayStation 3 rise by 6%.

Advertisement