Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaving cert Accounting

Options
  • 15-03-2008 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hey, i was wondering do people think it is very risky to just learn either budgeting or costing for section 3 on the paper? my teacher intends to just cover budgeting and not costing, is this a bit risky????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

My teacher's taking no chances and she's covering both.

Budgeting would be a better bet I'd say if you're only going to do one. Apparently, the Department can put budgeting for both Q8 & Q9 but costing can't be put on both Qs.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Our teacher is taking no chances also but she feels budgeting would be more likely. This woman has been in the circuit for years and knows what she is on about...if she's not surere, than no teacher can be sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Our teacher thinks Marginal Costing will come up.

Well there is only one solution then...learn both of them and well...

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭armbruster

I've decided to play it safe and study both budgeting and costing. Perhaps the dept will play around with the costing question - and you wont be able to do it - then wouldn't it be handy to have the budgeting question as a backup?

Also - lets talk about section two:
    I'm thinking club accounts and published accounts.

Would it be safe also to leave out studying control accounts, tabular and revaluation? (Since they came up last year).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

Aw i m hoping to leave out the control accounts.. but still you never know.

Anyways have anybody got the 98 accounting paper? Particularly interested in cash flow and the marking scheme for that, or even any other 100m cash flow with the marking scheme? Heard it came up in some mock paper..

Thank you in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Yuugib wrote: »
    Aw i m hoping to leave out the control accounts.. but still you never know.

Anyways have anybody got the 98 accounting paper? Particularly interested in cash flow and the marking scheme for that, or even any other 100m cash flow with the marking scheme? Heard it came up in some mock paper..

Thank you in advance

Control accounts, once you get to know the lingo of the exam questions is very easy. As with all accounting, it is all about repetition. I'd recommend that you go over it once more with your teacher once more if possible. I'm only in 5th year and found it really hard at the start, but it becomes easier every time you do one more exam question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭betsymagoo

so is this how the paper is lookin now......

1. manufacturing acc

2. ? (never look at these so i havent a clue)

3. ?

4. ?

5. Ratio question

6. Published

7. Club acc

8. budgeting/costing

9. marginal...

any one agree.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

q2 depreciation
    q3 suspence acc / cashflow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

betsymagoo wrote: »

1. manufacturing acc

3. ?

4. ?

5. Ratio question

6. Published

7. Club acc

8. budgeting/costing

9. marginal...

I'd be happy with that!! Although Manuacturing Accounts do take ages to do!

• Advertisement

That would be the ideal paper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭betsymagoo

eh i hate ta be a wile pain in the a**..... but is everyone just concentrating on man acc or are ye all practicing the other 2......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

betsymagoo wrote: »

1. manufacturing acc

3. ?

4. ?

5. Ratio question

6. Published

7. Club acc

8. budgeting/costing

9. marginal...

That's pretty much what my teacher expects anyway-and I'd love it if that was what came up!
    I'm going to be concentrating on those sections but I'm not risking anything and hope to cover pretty much everything. Except for maybe control/revaluation/depreciation these can't come up as 100m can they??
    And Im concentrating on Manufacturing but also covering Sole Trader. Im really banking on Q1 but I doubt Company will come up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Rich89

My teacher said that for Q8 and Q9, its possible that Budgeting could come in both questions but impossible that Costing can come up in both. If thats true and I would tend to believe him then learn Budgeting. As for a prediction:

Q1. Manufacturing

Q2. Suspense

Q3. Depreciation

Q4. Cashflow

Q5. Ratios

Q6. Published

Q7. Club Accounts

Q8. Marginal

Q9. Production/Flexi Budgets

As always, i wouldnt advise anyone to stick to a prediction and cover all angles!

Advertisement