Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A spot of bad moderating in Animals&Pet Issues

Options
  • 15-03-2008 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

A member recently posted a thread detailing how her new rescue dog is defecating in her house frequently. Methods she is using to train the dog include slapping it on the nose and sticking its nose in its own excrement. After pointing out that this method is cruel and outdated, this user posted abusive messages slagging off the fact that I have a degree, referring to me as a "silly little college girl" who "thinks she knows it all because she has read a few books... I've been farming for years".
    She also attempted to circumvent the swear filters- there is a sticky against this in the forum- apparently you get an immediate 48 hour ban. Not so. I defended myself, saying I'd rather be a college girl than a farm girl, and that she seemed very bitter about people who have an education.
    There was also an issue with another user calling me touchy for telling this girl that slapping her dog and sticking its nose in its own excrement is cruel- I posted a reference to a thread she posted which makes her "touchy" remark seem quite hypocritical (she was emailing butcher's organisations because her local butcher charges €2 for bones. I mentioned going to a different butcher and her answer was- I like to support local businesses- to which I responded that publicly slagging them off on the internet is not the best way to do it).

Basically, another user posts about how she slaps her dog, and sticks its nose in its own excrement, and attempts to circumvent the swear filters (apparently an immediate 48 hour ban!!) and I got banned. Nothing was said about her cruel methods of "training". It seems to me that such animal cruelty is condoned in this forum, and in this case the ban stick is thrown at whoever says anything that might ruffle the poor OP's feathers. The moderator has also been quite rude to other users in the past- telling one to mind her own business when she asked a simple question of "what animals do you keep". Anyone else would get banned for that..
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

links to the thread(s) in question generally help...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Grow up.

This coming from me is saying a lot btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

rb_ie wrote: »
    Grow up.

This coming from me is saying a lot btw.

Seconded! More so the coming from me part though!! :D

But seriously, it's becoming more or a pointless issue (the to-ing and froing with emsy) than it was in the original thread. Let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

ridiculous for a mod to ban you for what you said it that thread .

some mods are idiots

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Meh you deserved the ban. Take it like a man

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

I think the ban was deserved. Your attitude in that thread is pretty snippy. Whatever one's opinion of training methods (and the OP really did not seem to be to be abusing her dog, just using older methods that disliked or not nowadays, worked well for generations) being belittling and bitchy is unnecessary. (and yes, you were bitchy)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

OP, from my reading of that thread, you're lucky not to have been kicked a lot earlier.

It looks like you made several attempts to derail the thread. If you don't agree with the poster in question, why didn't you just stick them on ignore or just not bother responding.

The ban is deserved.

OP, Bond gave you more chances then I would have - you were trying to derail and drag a thread off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

The OP of the linked thread only wanted to hear what they wanted to hear. When someone is posting like this the best option is to ignore them and if you like you can report the post to the moderator. Imo if someone can't discuss something on a discussion board then they should be called up on it, but a mod should really only do this as it would derail the thread if a regular user tried to tackle the issue.

Luckystar, you took offence to this and I have no idea why you brought up the dog bones on post #19? This just enflamed the thread and you did nothing to bring it back.

I would have banned you for taking the thread off topic and into a bickering argument.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

I was not the one that started the slagging, that was Bluefrog calling me touchy, and Emsy slagging people with an education. Which they should have been called up on. As I pointed out in the thread, that is just bitterness. I can't help it if Emsy only hears what she wants to hear. She wanted to hear "oh you're dead right, what an awful dog you have" instead of "hang on, you slapped your dog and stuck her nose in her own excrement- that's cruel". I got banned because she took objection to what I said- despite the forum being supposed to be against animal cruelty. That was just swept under the carpet by the mod rather than her actually deal with the issue of a dog being slapped by its owner. She also conveniently forgot about her "zero tolerance swear bans". As for me being snippy- being banned for this is a bit hypocritical as this mod recently told someone to mind their own business when they asked her what animals she keeps.
    To be honest I am more concerned about a rescue handing a dog to someone before assessing how they intended on "training" it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

A long walk in the fresh air might do you the world of good.

Hulla -> :D

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Nothing wrong here. The subject of the thread doesnt give you the right to attack another boardsie. As for the subject; I don't see anything the OP did wrong. It might be frowned upon but then what isn't. The dog pics she provides suggest they are far from abused.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You really should have taken the higher ground and kept silent. You did yourself no favours. Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭SMERSH

doomed.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Mr Burns

Very Good Smersh. :)

OP, you deserved a ban, take your medicine.

Miaow!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say that I don't see why one poster was banned and the other one wasn't. They both gave as good as they got from what I can see. I don't see how "know-it-all farm girl" is worse than "little college girl". As for the accusations of cruelty, I don't at any point it was implied that the OP intended to be cruel, just that the methods happened to be cruel. There is a difference. I'm sure the OP loves and wants what's best for her animals, but that doesn't mean that she couldn't be using the wrong methods accidentally. She said herself that her methods weren't working.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

oh god, its like being slowly whipped to death with scented boot laces.

to be honest, should have either banned the lot of them or banned no one.
    animal people are so pissy.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Stark wrote: »
    I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say that I don't see why one poster was banned and the other one wasn't. They both gave as good as they got from what I can see. I don't see how "know-it-all farm girl" is worse than "little college girl". As for the accusations of cruelty, I don't at any point it was implied that the OP intended to be cruel, just that the methods happened to be cruel. There is a difference. I'm sure the OP loves and wants what's best for her animals, but that doesn't mean that she couldn't be using the wrong methods accidentally. She said herself that her methods weren't working.

but lucky was also derailing the thread while she was at it. the OP at least was trying to get back on track (somewhat)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The OP never let the thread get started. To paraphrase: "My methods aren't working, what can I do?" "Start by changing your methods". "How dare you suggest that there's something wrong with my methods". When the OP won't listen to advice that her methods are wrong, what did she start the thread looking for? "Keep persevering and with enough positive thoughts and energy, it'll work"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

LuckyStar you're contribution to thread was not in the slightest helpful at all. a ban was merited. however seeing as the ban was for personal abuse and not derailing the thread, i do think LuckyStar has the right to feel somewhat aggrieved over the banning. the majority of the personal abuse in the thread came from the OP and in my view (s)he also merited a ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

[IMG][/img]01AwcAX1X58_oAAAABAAAAAAAAAAA_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

LuckyStar you're contribution to thread was not in the slightest helpful at all. a ban was merited. however seeing as the ban was for personal abuse and not derailing the thread, i do think LuckyStar has the right to feel somewhat aggrieved over the banning. the majority of the personal abuse in the thread came from the OP and in my view (s)he also merited a ban.

+ 1 The thread was derailed but I think both luckystar and the OP contributed to that and both should have been slapped on the wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

I don't see why one poster was banned and the other one wasn't. They both gave as good as they got from what I can see. I don't see how "know-it-all farm girl" is worse than "little college girl".

to be honest, should have either banned the lot of them or banned no one.
    animal people are so pissy.

the mod was wrong.
    plus the part about banning people for swearing as lucky says.

sack the mod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

The OP never let the thread get started. To paraphrase: "My methods aren't working, what can I do?" "Start by changing your methods". "How dare you suggest that there's something wrong with my methods". When the OP won't listen to advice that her methods are wrong, what did she start the thread looking for? "Keep persevering and with enough positive thoughts and energy, it'll work"?

Seems pretty unfair to me too. If one deserved a ban, then both did in my opinion. Unfortunately for the OP it doesn't count for much around here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I think the OP should have her nose rubbed in her own excrement.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

green123 wrote: »
    the mod was wrong.
    plus the part about banning people for swearing as lucky says.

sack the mod

Leave 007 alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Cruelty to innocent animals and posters, what is the world coming to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

After reading the first post in both this and the problem thread I believe the real solution to this problem is that both OP's to go back to school and learn how to construct proper sentences.

That is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

green123 wrote: »
    the mod was wrong...................sack the mod
    Good idea only he would probably take it to an employment appeals tribunal and there would be no more boards. ;)

I read enough when I got to the end of the first page. emsy g wanted advice but wasnt prepared to accept alternative techniques. It was way out of order though for LuckyStar to drag up another post and then correct the OP on grammar. That took the biscuit!

Advertisement