Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 string bass

Options
  • 15-03-2008 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭

Hi i just bought a 4 string bass but have never played before, i am just wondering if anyone knows anywhere to get good tips on the net or any good ways to learn on my own?

Cheers
    Mark

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

I'd say learn songs, loads of them, and watch videos on youtube to get basic techniques down like fingerstyle/pick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

http://wheatsbassbook.org/

start working your way through the sections in this!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

As you are a complete beginner I'd advise getting a few lessons from a good teacher. I know you want to learn on your own, but you'll learn more from a teacher in an hour than in 3/4 days from a book or the internet. He/she can show you correct technique. This way you avoid developing bad habits from the start. Bad technique can result in wrist problems later on. When you have mastered that, learn where all the notes are on the fretboard. Then start on your scales. The main thing is to be patient and dont rush it. Everyone learns at their own pace.

A great book I' recommend is "Bass Guitar for Dummies". Dont let "dummies" put you off. There's a wealth of info there dealing with EVERYTHING to do with bass.

A website I like is www.studybass.com

Welcome to the "low end" ;) Above all - Have fun. :)

Advertisement