Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Beatles Song/Moment?

Options
  • 15-03-2008 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭

Know I'm probably gonna get slated by some of the regulars here by starting such a thread but seen as I missed Beatlemania by a couple of decades I love hearing any info related to them.

Few for me:

-A solo from each member in 'The End'.
    - The 3rd part of 'Happiness Is A Warm Gun', the ska section!
    - The Boeing 747 ushering in 'Back In The USSR'

and finally, All of 'Ob-La-Di,Ob-La-Da', a rare dabble with reggae with dazzling results. :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

Hey Jude

All of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Here Comes The Sun

Such a beautiful simple song. Just shows that for all the masterpieces the Beatles created, my favourite song is this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

"within without you", and "tomorrow never knows" stand out for me as real breakthrough songs that basically set the standard for psychadelia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Here Comes The Sun

Such a beautiful simple song. Just shows that for all the masterpieces the Beatles created, my favourite song is this.

Great song. My favourite is A Day In The Life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    My favourite is A Day In The Life.

Not a massive Beatles fan but gotta agree there, A Day In The Life is my favourite song by them too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

While my guitar gently weeps (Clapton :cool:) and Magical Mystery Tour :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

damonjewel wrote: »
    "within without you", and "tomorrow never knows" stand out for me as real breakthrough songs that basically set the standard for psychadelia.

'Tomorrow Never Knows' is incredible alright.

That piano solo in 'In My Life', technically not played by a Beatles member but it was on the record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Outro to 'Strawberry fields'
    'Sun King'
    'Polythene Pam'
    'Ticket to Ride'
    Fast thrill bass note at start of 'Paperback Writer'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The guitar solo in cant buy me love (with feed back )

the intro into I feel fine (apparently it's an electic razor)

Intro into the night before

Not a second time ..intresting vocal nasal change from lennon

Guitar solos on the end of abbey road

sure i will find many more ........i'll be back again ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

The White Album. It's all just amazing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

My tuppence worth:

While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Norwegian Wood

Blackbird.

The intro to 'I feel fine' is feedback via McCartney's bass playing a note.

Beatles had previously covered 'Watch your Step' by Bobby Parker (from 1961) in concert-has very similar guitar and drum patterns. http://youtube.com/watch?v=TvtabNAb_wE

funktastic wrote: »
    The intro to 'I feel fine' is feedback via McCartney's bass playing a note.

That's intresting because i remember reading a beatles article many moons ago were george harrison said the intro at the start of ' i feel fine ' was a barbers electronic clippers warming up and it does sound remarkably like one to although the note on McCartneys bass is more like it
    Beatles had previously covered 'Watch your Step' by Bobby Parker

Does sound very like ' i feel fine .Also the chord structure on the Everly brothers Temptation (who were big influences on the beatles ) sounds remarkably like early beatles like ' a hard days night ' . This is a live version http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Us6UQ5W2xEY&feature=related

Keeping on topic the way snippets of songs are introduced into ' All you need is love ' like the french anthem at the beginning ,glen millers ' in the mood ' and ringo singing 'she love you yeah yeah yeah ........

Well I'm pretty 100% that it's McCartney's bass-and everything else I've ever read about the song says so. Might sound a bit like a drill but it taint.

And to be annoyingly pedantic, it's McCartney singing 'Loves you yeah yeah yeah' at the end of 'All you Need Is Love'. :pac:

Well I'm pretty 100% that it's McCartney's bass-and everything else I've ever read about the song says so. Might sound a bit like a drill but it taint.

I am only quoting from a long lost magazine article but we wont go into one of those 'paul is dead ' beatles mystery ;) .It does both sound like an electric bass/elctronic shaving device
    And to be annoyingly pedantic, it's McCartney singing 'Loves you yeah yeah yeah' at the end of 'All you Need Is Love'. :pac:

Sounds remarkably like ringo ,be intresting to find out for sure .I still say ringo :)

'Loves you yeah yeah yeah' is sung in the kind-of sarcastic Liverpool tone that McCartney and Lennon put on (in stuff like Polythene Pam). Ringo's voice is more flat/dull.

According to wikipedia it's McCartney and Lennon singing together - '"She Loves You" (spontaneously ad-libbed by Lennon and McCartney)'' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_you_need_is_love

wikipedia entry also says the intro to 'I Feel Fine' is a bass

'Loves you yeah yeah yeah' is sung in the kind-of sarcastic Liverpool tone that McCartney and Lennon put on (in stuff like Polythene Pam). Ringo's voice is more flat/dull.

According to wikipedia it's McCartney and Lennon singing together - '"She Loves You" (spontaneously ad-libbed by Lennon and McCartney)'' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_you_need_is_love

wikipedia entry also says the intro to 'I Feel Fine' is a bass

Thats what i hear at the end ,a dull flat scouse nasel tone like ringos and
    Lennon and Mcarneys voice was far more pleasent but i will give you that , however wika has be know to be wrong/misinformed

Yeah grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭dh2007

Fool on the Hill
    Your Mother Should Know
    actually all of Magical Mystery Tour - it's my fav!

and Martha My Dear - my boyf plays in on the piano so I like it cos it reminds me of him! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Octapus' Garden..... Wings

• Advertisement

Dr Robert
    Taxman

The guitar chord changes are so cool .(Paul weller copied a lot of chords from the revolver album )

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Mr Kite

Favourite Beatles bits

Raw energy of Twist n' Shout
    Ringo's drum loop at the start of Tomorrow never knows
    Lennon singing In my Life with so much emotion
    Something - still gives me the shivers
    Lennon and McCartney harmonising together on Shes Leaving home
    When I'm 64 - learn the words, its one for the shower
    and finally the demo for Strawberry fields forever with Lennon and guitar only and no artifical double tracking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Day Tripper
    Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
    I Am The Walrus
    Strawberry Fields Forever
    Magical Mystery Tour
    The Fool On The Hill
    Come Together
    Across The Universe
    The Long and Winding Road
    Here Comes The Sun, While My Guitar Gently Weeps (George deserves more credit imo)
    And my fave: Happiness is a Warm Gun. A piece of genius. And The Breeders' version is as good (imo).

Nowere man
    The solo trumpet on Penny lane

Producer george martin on the Harpsicord solo during the midddle of Hard days night / In my life .He wasn't called the 5th beatle for nothing .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Its gotta be Come Together for me, thats by far my favourite Beatles song.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭St Bill

Get Back. I love the guitar and McCartney's voice in it.
    Also Hey Jude, what an anthem.
    The violin in Eleanor Rigby.
    Lady Madonna for the piano and the relentless beat.
    I used to love the iconoclastic Lennon compositions more..... Strawberry Fields Forever, I Am the Walrus, In My Life, Norwegian Wood. But now I've gone back to McCartney (seeing as he's single :p)

I love The Ballad of John and Yoko too. I was playing it on a college radio show once and one of the guys burst into the on-air studio and yelled "what the fukk are you playing Stealers Wheel for?!"

I know what he meant. The guitars sound extremely like Stuck in the Middle With You...

The Ballad of John and Yoko - 1969
    Stuck in the Middle With You - 1972

"Stealers" indeed... :)

Just listened to Happiness is a Warm Gun again - oh it's just remarkable. John was such a hot man. And he sounds so sexy when he says "When I hold you in my arms... And I feel my finger on your trigger..." Mmm... I'd have let him put his finger on m-... never mind ;)

It's only hit me in the last couple of years just how ridiculously, insanely young he was when he died... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

A Day In The Life, If you're in the right mood at the right time, it's astounding.

Happiness is a warm gun
    Everybody's got something to hide.

And I have a soft spot for Yes It Is.

White Album, Abbey Road and Revolver would be the albums I listen to the most.

Check out the book "Revolution In The Head". Great stuff

And it's McCartney singing "She loves you...." at the end of All you need Is Love. How you thought it was Ringo.....................

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

"A Day In the Life" is gorgeous. "Oh Darlin'" is nice too. And yeah, I like "The Ballad of John and Yoko" (and I believe it's "Steelers Wheel", not "Stealers", Dudess...)

But my favourite Beatles moment would probably "Get Back" - the live version, as performed on the roof of Apple - especially the ad-libbing (mostly by Paul) at the end when the police arrived. Great stuff!

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, A Day in the Life and Get Back - can't believe I didn't include those in the first post.

Advertisement