Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Beatles Song/Moment?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Boo-yah

- She Said She Said
    - In My Life
    - She Came In Through The Bathroom Window (hard to pick a favorite song from Abbey Road!)
    - You Won't See Me
    - A Day In The Life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

You never give me your money - from Abbey Road. I'll keep on saying it, but there's a chord there, around the 'One Sweet dream/came true/today' part that sounds like the sun coming out.

'I should have known better'. It's simple as hell, it's simple boy-girl music, but listen to the enthusiasm in Lennons voice and the gob-iron work on it.

'I am the Walrus'...not for the song itself and the pschadelic bollocksology that went with it, but there are people who say Ringo wasn't a good drummer. Listen to the drums on that. Playing drums in *that* kind of floppy, sloppy, perpetually behind the beat style isn't easy, and this is one of the best examples. The fills in it are savage.

'Here there and everywhere'. McCartney once said that if there was one Beatles song that he could have with *just* the credit 'McCartney' on it, it'd be this one. I can see why. I remember the day of my 25th birthday, waking up and feeling crap cos i knew that McCartney had written HT&E by the time he was 25. I'm now 34 and i've got Live and Let Die to compete with. Roll on the Frog Chorus years... :D

'Two of us'. It's not a particularly brilliant song, but it's John'n'Paul doing the Everlys. Whilst they could hardly talk to each other, they could still sing.

While My Guitar Gently weeps...no need to justify it...it's just great, innit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

the second part of "you never give me your money"

the rising chords in "Hello Goodbye"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the end of "I want you (she's so heavy)" when they all lock into that circular riff and the static starts rising. So different from anything else in their catalogue...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

what's quite amazing about reading this thread thus far is the massive bias towards Abbey Road and the White Album; if you ask people their favourite Beatles album, so many will say Sgt Pepper, and whilst there's nothing wrong with it, I've always been a HUGE Abbey Road fan, with Hard Days Night (rather inexplicably) coming in at number 2. Revolver at 3, now that you ask.

Save for a few votes for 'A Day in the Life' and the odd mention of 'Within You Without You' are we finally witnessing a time when people are rethinking the un-rethinkable, that perhaps Sgt Pepper isn't actually their favourite!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Dudess wrote: »

It's only hit me in the last couple of years just how ridiculously, insanely young he was when he died... :(

Ah it annoys the **** out of me to think that they have made a film about the twat that killed Lennon ,therefore given him even more notriety than he deserves as in Quote '' i was a nobody till i killed john lennon '' .......jeesus ...* puke * No twat you were a nobody then and your even less of a nobody now !

what's quite amazing about reading this thread thus far is the massive bias towards Abbey Road and the White Album; if you ask people their favourite Beatles album, so many will say Sgt Pepper, and whilst there's nothing wrong with it, I've always been a HUGE Abbey Road fan, with Hard Days Night (rather inexplicably) coming in at number 2. Revolver at 3, now that you ask.

Save for a few votes for 'A Day in the Life' and the odd mention of 'Within You Without You' are we finally witnessing a time when people are rethinking the un-rethinkable, that perhaps Sgt Pepper isn't actually their favourite!

I think all the beatles albums from please please me up to Let it be have their own gems on them .My preferences would be 'Hard days night ' revolver ' rubber soul' and abbey road but love all the others nearly as much .

I love on Polythene pam were john goes all scouse as in '' she's killer diller when she dressed to the ilt, she's the kind of a gal who makes the news of the werld ,yes you could say she was atractivley built , yeah yeah yeah .. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

I think the white album is a muso's favourite beatles album and sgt. pepper the average joes favourite album.

Then again, i could be talking out me hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

'Two of us'. It's not a particularly brilliant song, but it's John'n'Paul doing the Everlys. Whilst they could hardly talk to each other, they could still sing.
    Yeah, very true. Ah it's a gorgeous song all right. And I Want You (She's So Heavy) - forgot about that too.
    And Norwegian Wood. And Lady Madonna.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Sir Paul's divorce. Or would this be part of his solo career. Total a-hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭St Bill

Heather, is that you?

• Advertisement

Mother * the scary bell into before lennon blasts '' Mother you left me ''

The mangled solo betwen poythene pam and she came in through the bathroom window .Only a beatle could do a wonky guitar solo like that :D

Silly love songs * great brass section *

C-moon * Wings meets James last *

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Maybe george harrisons appearance in the simpsons. Musically it was def a high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

I cant pick just one,so here we go:
    Ringo's drumming on Rain-cleared all doubts that he ever deserved a place in the band from my head.
    In My Life- Lennon's best song by a clear mile.
    A Day in the Life, not my favourite song but it was undeniably a work of art.
    Harmonies in Because, sends shivers down my spine every time.
    Oh, and Norwegian Wood, obviously lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

So many great moments

Elenoar Rigby - the strings , perfection

I love towards the end of "Ticket to Ride" when John ? sings "Ohhhh She's got a ticket to ride" the Ohh bit mainly

the "let it out and let it in" between lines of verse in "Hey Jude"

Pretty much all of "In My Life"

The little sigh in "I'm only Sleeping"

The last "with a love like that you know shouu --ulld ,,,,,,,,, be glad" in "She Loves you"

The "of the beginning" refrain in Tommorow Never knows

"Hey Up" at the start of While my guitar gently weeps

The bassline in "Drive My Car"

The lyrics in "Norwegian Wood"

and many many more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

Cool thread.How did i miss it in the first place?

Favourite songs:

In My Life
    Strawberry Fields Forever
    A Day In The Life
    If I Fell
    Across The Universe

My favourite moment on a Beatles song would be the end of Dear Prudence.There is beautiful call and respond thing going on between Lennon and the lead guitar.Starts at 3:18.

The middle eight for No Reply is a great moment too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

damonjewel
    "within without you",

+1

Gently weeps anthology version aswell, I've just seen a face for mccartney, favourite of Johns would prolly be come together, thats where 'cool' came from and ringo octopus' garden, cant go wrong really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Too many great songs to list a favourite ten, or even twenty, it's almost impossible.

For just one special moment though, the opening chord of Hard Day's Night....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭jasonb

Excellent thread...

As already mentioned, the opening to 'I Feel Fine', excellent intro.

All of Side 2 of Abbey Road ( my favourite album ). It's just genius, fitting all those little parts of songs, a verse here, a chorus there, together.

My favourite thing about the Beatles though? If they did something once, whenever anyone else does it people say 'that sounds like the Beatles'. The Harpsichord in In My Life is a good example, whenever you hear any kind of Harpsichord solo ( or even the solo in Four Season In One Day by Crowded House for example ), you think of the Beatles. They had a Trumpet ( or French Horn? ) in Penny Lane, and whenever you hear a French Horn in a song, you think of the Beatles. That's the power they have...

Sad in a way, but I'm also really glad they were only with us for a few years ( the band, clearly I'm not glad that John and George are gone ), and they quit while still on top of their game. The Rolling Stones show what can go wrong if you just keep on going...

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

Hippo wrote: »

Or the opening phrase of Something.

Too many great songs to list a favourite ten, or even twenty, it's almost impossible.

Here is that special moement .My own you tube tribute to that famous guitar chord Twang :)Twangggggggggggg

And Intresting article i found about that Twang Here . Apparently george Martin may have added a piano chord to ,ahhhhhhhhhha sneaky ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

latchyco wrote: »
    Here is that special moement .My own you tube tribute to that famous guitar chord Twang :)http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=floU_edZ63s

Psst - ex scuse the blip at 0.05 ;)

And Intresting article i found about that Twang Here . Apparently george Martin may have added a piano chord to ,ahhhhhhhhhha sneaky ;)

Thank you, can never get enough of it. I can believe that the Martin genius is in there somewhere, truly the fifth Beatle.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭walter sobchak

Thank you, can never get enough of it. I can believe that the Martin genius is in there somewhere, truly the fifth Beatle.

My favourite Beatles momemt?
    George Martin's kidnapping :pac:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIA_NVFnXZ8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭djmike

Ooooo

Either

The riff in Helter Skelter... makes me shiver

or Gnik Nus off Love (under, under rated. some super re edits and mixes )

or The 4 track 'suite' off the end of Abbey Road

or

Lucy in the Sky

or...

Must Listen...Beatles.....Now...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭crisco10

okay, i have a 4 hr drive ahead of me later and having read this thread, i think i shall be puttin the beatles on my iPod all the way home! So so many good songs:

My highlights:

-Golden Slumbers (cant believe no one has mentioned it)
    -That moment where Polythene Pam turns into She Came in through the bathroom window (actually, i think i may just say all of the 2nd side of Abbey Road!)
    -The haunting harp on "She's Leaving Home"
    -Revolution

Oh, god there is so many tho. i feel i should just list my fave moment per album! but i wont cos the thread asks for a "song/moment"

Advertisement