Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BAndwidth limiter thingy?

Options
  • 15-03-2008 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi all
    Not sure if this is in the right place.
    I've got eircom BB using a a netopia 2247 wireless modem.
    Basically my problem is this.I share the connection with my housemate,
    I play online games and she using it mainly for surfing via a laptop over wireless.
    THe pc is also connected via wireless.
    My question is this:
    Is there a way to allocate bandwidth to the laptop and the pc respectively so that her surfing does not affect my in game ping?Otherwise it's virtually impossible to play while someone else is using the connection.
    Any help would be much appreciated,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

You'll need more expensive hardware to do bandwidth shaping - Is it only web surfing or is she on Youtube or other demanding sites? - because if it is normal web pages, can't see how it should affact things - be easier id say just to upgrade your connection. You could always set up a linux box, box but don't know how far you are willing to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Delganys Finest

I see I see,
    it's only the youtube and streaming sites and such that really affects it,the surfing is fine.The linux thing sounds way out of my depth,I'm more of a paddler really,a wader at most:D
    Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

http://www.cfos.de/download/download_e.htm

Software traffic shaper that allows you to prioritise applications and protocols. One license covers 3 PCS and the latest version has a co-operative mode whereby each client PC talks to the others and can work your priorities between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

Hi,

If you feel like going more "hands on", and have a space (low powered) PC around, there is a fantastic tool called 'pfsense', which is based on FreeBSD+pf. It allows you to do your bandwidth allocation. You can download ir (for free) from http://www.pfsense.com/ . The community support is good, but you'll need some TCP/IP knowledge.

Regards,
    Ruairi

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

You can setup QOS on the linksys WRT54G boxes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

The Netopia 2247-02 has a Quality of Service feature built in. If this is available on your Netopia 2247, make a list of the server ports your games use, add them to the router's QoS configuration (most games use UDP if I recall correctly) and set these to either Assure or Expedite (experiment to find out which one works best).

http://forums.blueface.ie/showthread.php?t=545

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

If you have budget monowall embedded box.
    If not a WRT54GL

learn Iptables. job done.

Qos may be enough on the eircom router try it first.

Advertisement