Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Original xbox modding, anybody have the stuff?

• 15-03-2008 1:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,192 ✭✭✭

Hi all, was wondering could anybody lend me or sell me one of the the 3 following games? So i can put xbmc on one of my mate's xbox?

Splinter Cell
    Mech Warrior
    007 Agent under fire(is this one of them?)

Would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭ongarite

Hi all, was wondering could anybody lend me or sell me one of the the 3 following games? So i can put xbmc on one of my mate's xbox?

Splinter Cell
    Mech Warrior
    007 Agent under fire(is this one of them?)

Would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Where are you based? I have Splinter Cell with Krayzie Ndure or alternatively you can try modding it using the hotswap method. Longfield used it a while ago with no problems at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,192 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Thanks for the reply mate, I have alot to do (10 maybe!) so hot swap method is not really an option( doesnt it involve doing something with removing the hard drive?)

I pm'd a guy who had a large collection up for sale on adverts who decided not to sell them in the end and he's going to give me a loan of it, he's in galway too so its handy.

Appreciate the reply though, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,473 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Seriously, its not hard at all to do it using Ndure, I was a bit worried about it initially but it turned out to be pretty simple in the end.
    I bought another two boxes today they will be getting softmodded later too, no need to buy anything.
    If theres an interest I might write a guide and post it here if the mods are ok with that?

Hope your getting a few quid for doing ten of them ..unless you have one seriously large house!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Dakeyras

I used the hotswap method and ndure to softmod mine, took a few tries but it isn't really that complicated. I used this guide:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=496263

maybe 10 was an overstatement, 7 anyways! Me and a few mates bought 6 today actually, the guy who is loaning me splinter cell asked me to do his too. It'd be nice if they covered the price of my xbox though! There might be a few more after that too!

Am i right in saying you need to open the xbox and attach the hard drive to the pc? I havent found any good guides for the hot swapping method, while i've found a few idiot proof linux exploit ways!
    EDIT: thanks for the guide to the hot swap way

Once i get XBMC up and running is there anything you recomend me looking into? Do i need to get codecs or anything? Good skins or apps anything like that? Cheers.

Did anyone make the home made action replay memory card? was thinking of doing it that way myself. Was thinking of cutting the controller wire and attaching a female usb head to the end that plugs into the xbox, then attaching a male usb head to the xbox controller. It would probably still work as a xbox controller and i'd be able to use it on my my pc too

• Advertisement

I would download the latest compile of XBMC here. It is released every 2 weeks with all the latest fixes and additions.
    XBMC uses ffdshow so all codec support is built in. I prefer the default PM3 skin but MC360 is good, Vision and Basic101 are also excellent. They can be found here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

who loaned you the stuff to softmod?
    I am wondering if i could borrow the action replay memory card as i haveing trouble finding one on the net!(kinda pricey)
    got splinter cell off gamesnash.ie for €3.99 free postage nice.
    any help would be great!
    thanks
    john

That is nice! I paid nearly a tenner of a guy on ebay only for him to send the Splinter cell 2 or whatever its called!

I never got it, i used the hotswap method on all the xboxs i had, out of 6 , 4 went perfect, 2 are being a little awkward! But there still working!

Maybe something like this your best bet? LINK

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭timmy69

I can perform xbox softmodding in the Dublin area for 80 euros per visit per xbox. PM me for details. Finished installation will be with Xbox media centre or user preffered settings, dual boot and xbox live options are also available.

Feck sake thats a complete rip-off! The complete cost of tools needed is €10 for Splinter Cell & Memory Unit if you use game save exploit.
    If you use the FREE guide that Longfield wrote its €80 too dear seeing as all the software & apps are free.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

ongarite wrote: »
    Feck sake thats a complete rip-off! The complete cost of tools needed is €10 for Splinter Cell & Memory Unit if you use game save exploit.
    If you use the FREE guide that Longfield wrote its €80 too dear seeing as all the software & apps are free.

Agreed,I got it done for €40/50 off a lad on here in Dublin nearly 2 years ago.

In the open source spirit of all XBOX modding, I will mod anyone's XBOX free of charge.
    Only takes 20 mins from linux game save with Splinter Cell to dual boot NDURE softmod with XBMC installed as main dashboard using latest T3CH release.

If you are able to get hold of all the materials and do it yourself, good for you. If you want an expert and need help, you can give me a shout :D. By the way a brand new splinter cell/ mechassault/ 007 agent under fire, if you can find it will cost u at least a tenner, the action replay device around 20 plus and not to mention getting it all to work for you successfully. Agreed someone may have charged u 50 euro 2 years ago, but a lot of things were different and cheaper 2 years ago :)

Sorry man, that complete BS. I you were to check the post history of this forum, you would see myself and many other would be the "experts" as you say.

Splinter Cell can be got for €5 in any game shop pre-owned as I did at the time and you can also get MU for the same price. You could also make your own Action Replay with USB key or use the FREE Longfield hot-swap tutorial posted here. You can't have missed it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

timmy69 wrote: »
    If you are able to get hold of all the materials and do it yourself, good for you. If you want an expert and need help, you can give me a shout :D. By the way a brand new splinter cell/ mechassault/ 007 agent under fire, if you can find it will cost u at least a tenner, the action replay device around 20 plus and not to mention getting it all to work for you successfully. Agreed someone may have charged u 50 euro 2 years ago, but a lot of things were different and cheaper 2 years ago :)

So what your saying is that if we were "experts" we ould rip people off too??
    There are guides out there so you can do it for free.

I got it done for €30.
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=341&cat=38

The lad in the above advert still does it for €30.

Or you can take ongarite up on his offer and get it done for free!

I'll also offer to do the hotswap method in the midlands for free If anybody wants it. Its at your own risk though! although i think I've had and sorted all the problems that are possible to have!

Or you can take ongarite up on his offer and get it done for free!

I'll also offer to do the hotswap method in the midlands for free If anybody wants it. Its at your own risk though! although i think I've had and sorted all the problems that are possible to have!

I may take you up on that offer, one of the lads in work might need his done soon and he is in Roscommon.

Sorry man, that complete BS. I you were to check the post history of this forum, you would see myself and many other would be the "experts" as you say.

Splinter Cell can be got for €5 in any game shop pre-owned as I did at the time and you can also get MU for the same price. You could also make your own Action Replay with USB key or use the FREE Longfield hot-swap tutorial posted here. You can't have missed it.

I know all the tutorials out there, and i know the availability of materials to do it. I'm not going to argue with you guys if you are not looking to get it done. And unlike the guy on the adverts.ie advert i will be visiting your site and thats reflected by the price.

By visiting the site I will setup networking share between PC and xbox for the client, would be able to train the client in ftping in to the Xbox and running network share videos etc. I realize people on this forum are already familiar with such tasks but this is mainly for people who aren't able to do it themselves or don't want to and just want it done.

I apologize for not being clear on the whole deal.

I know all the tutorials out there, and i know the availability of materials to do it. I'm not going to argue with you guys if you are not looking to get it done. And unlike the guy on the adverts.ie advert i will be visiting your site and thats reflected by the price.

By visiting the site I will setup networking share between PC and xbox for the client, would be able to train the client in ftping in to the Xbox and running network share videos etc. I realize people on this forum are already familiar with such tasks but this is mainly for people who aren't able to do it themselves or don't want to and just want it done.

I apologize for not being clear on the whole deal.

I still think that €80 is far too expensive. Also the above lads are offering it for free and will no doubt show you all you above listed stuff if you ask at no charge at all.
    The lad on adverts showed me all that, even went as far as tell me how to do the softmod etc.

jonny24ie wrote: »
    I may take you up on that offer, one of the lads in work might need his done soon and he is in Roscommon.

Ya thats sound, Im in Athlone all this week and every weekend after that. Send me a pm if you want.

Ok i didnt realise he called out, not as bad i suppose.

• Advertisement

Ya thats sound, Im in Athlone all this week and every weekend after that. Send me a pm if you want.

Ok i didnt realise he called out, not as bad i suppose.

Sound job, I will chat with him later and get in touch with you.

Even calling out I would say €50 is fair but €80 is a bit too steep.

Prices dropped and service still available: http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=52225

• Moderators Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Prices dropped and service still available: http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=52225
    Ok, posting here is a bit of a joke! the thread has been inactive for months.

You have your own thread and advert, use them and stop thread spoiling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

I wonder will he get banned. What hes offering isn't an actual product, just a "service".

Advertisement