Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Roadside floodlights blinding & dangerous

Options
  • 15-03-2008 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭

Bit of a rant here.

Blinding floodlights on dark unlit roads, country roads in particular.

What I am talking about is the very bright floodlights placed on the sides and front of buildings. In some situations these lights can shine directly onto the road and into the driver’s line of vision. I have found them to be very blinding in some situations. It can be very very dangerous and personally I think it is very irresponsible of the building owner. Don't get me wrong now the majority of people have some cop on and they direct the lights so that they aren't blinding (towards the ground or away from the road for example) or if they do need lights shining in that direction the use the orange/yellow lights which create a lot less of a glare.
    It’s not just me either, I have asked friends and family that would travel the same roads as I would and they have the same complaints, I taught my eyesight was going for a while.

Has anyone else found these lights blinding?

Is there any law or regulation to prevent people erecting lights in a manner that could blind drivers?

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

The worst ones around Galway, IMHO, are the ones at Corinthians Rugby Grounds on the Tuam Road; a couple of them point directly at the road. Worst in bad weather, or the pitch black of a winters night.

Last week Galway Corporation started road works on Seamus Quirke Road, with floodlights on all evening and night blinding people heading from Rahoon toward Newcastle, and people turning right off Shantalla Road. The worst thing about them was that the roadworks blocked the path, so pedestrians were walking out onto the road without taking the heavy traffic into account, which was being blinded by the floodlights so the drivers couldn't see the walkers!!! After a few near misses, near heart attacks, and a few irate calls from drivers to the Corpo, the lights came down...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

also a problem on the m50 with the floodlights for the construction works.
    sometimes they point directly onto the road blinding oncoming traffic

Advertisement