Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT Colleges want university status

Options
  • 15-03-2008 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭

I don't know where to put this as I'm not sure if there is one forum for IT colleges in general, but DIT seems to be one of the main IT colleges in Ireland, and I'm considering going there myself when I leave school so I thought I'd put it in here! :D Sorry if there's already a thread about this.

Anyway, I read in the paper that there are debates going on as to whether certain IT colleges should be allowed university status. As in, they can give out university degrees rather than the higher level degrees they already give out. The suggestion is that all the IT's be united into one college, and the existing colleges would be subsequent schools. Much like, UCC, NUI Galway, NUI Maynooth etc. is all part of one University.

As a student who may study in DIT in the future, I can see how it would be attractive to many, but I'm not sure if I'd be in favour of it for a few reasons.

1) Points would rise in IT colleges due to the fact that more people would be likely to go to the "easier-to-get-into (I use this term loosely) IT colleges, while still gaining an equal degree to that of, say, Trinity College

2) Ireland is a small country with already plenty of universities. Is there a point in changing the system? IT's have been very successful in providing an educated workforce in technology and science already.

Can't think of my third point..but what do you all think of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

in my career a lot of companies prefer IT college graduates as they are known to do more practical work rather than just spew out facts from a text book.

it won't matter to me as i'll be graduating in the next year so i doubt they'll anything in place by then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭joeybloggs

Id agree with Cremo there.Many companies prefer IT graduates.IT's are generally more practical intensive and theres usually smaller numbers which will always help in teaching.

I don't really think theres much of a difference degree wise.There all level 7/8, so thats what really matters.

I would seriously doubt that the status of the degree is a major factor for choosing a college anyways.People will usually make that decision on "What kind of course they want to do?' or "Is it any craic?'

Or even 'Is there a Subway nearby?".There was, and I have never looked back.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

^ Haha..subway is my guilty (and filthy) pleasure. They're gorgous but they always seem kind of..I dunno mank..but they're cheap! :)

But there's still a huge difference in IT's and Universities. A lot of people in my school wouldn't dream of going to an IT. They think it's the place for stupid people who can't get enough points. Pure snobbery IMO but it remains that the points are lower in IT's and it's viewed as more academic to go to a University. Out of all my friends in 3rd level education, the ones in IT's enjoy it the most and I agree the practicality side is an advantage. But I would've thought the opposite in terms of employability. The career advisors I've seen have also said that. For example, a degree in Pharmacy from Trinity College will always be looked upon as better than a similar Pharmaceutical degree from an IT (to employers, I mean. And even if applying for a practical job like in a pharmaceutical company).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Jayage

For example, a degree in Pharmacy from Trinity College will always be looked upon as better than a similar Pharmaceutical degree from an IT (to employers, I mean. And even if applying for a practical job like in a pharmaceutical company).

But wouldnt they just look at the qualification rather then the college you studied at. though yes they would look at the college to see if its legitimate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭joeybloggs

But I would've thought the opposite in terms of employability. The career advisors I've seen have also said that. For example, a degree in Pharmacy from Trinity College will always be looked upon as better than a similar Pharmaceutical degree from an IT (to employers, I mean. And even if applying for a practical job like in a pharmaceutical company).

Well it depends.Your in Chemisrty ( I presume), so theres a good chance you probably have work placement.As you might know when working in the pharmaceutical work, companies will usually have to do a general training for a couple of weeks.So if your up against a college graduate, the fact that you won't have to do a long train-in with you will give you a distinctive advantage.

'Could distance from pubs also be an acceptable factor in 3rd level choices?''

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

I don't know where to put this as I'm not sure if there is one forum for IT colleges in general, but DIT seems to be one of the main IT colleges in Ireland, and I'm considering going there myself when I leave school so I thought I'd put it in here! :D Sorry if there's already a thread about this.

Anyway, I read in the paper that there are debates going on as to whether certain IT colleges should be allowed university status. As in, they can give out university degrees rather than the higher level degrees they already give out. The suggestion is that all the IT's be united into one college, and the existing colleges would be subsequent schools. Much like, UCC, NUI Galway, NUI Maynooth etc. is all part of one University.

As a student who may study in DIT in the future, I can see how it would be attractive to many, but I'm not sure if I'd be in favour of it for a few reasons.

1) Points would rise in IT colleges due to the fact that more people would be likely to go to the "easier-to-get-into (I use this term loosely) IT colleges, while still gaining an equal degree to that of, say, Trinity College

2) Ireland is a small country with already plenty of universities. Is there a point in changing the system? IT's have been very successful in providing an educated workforce in technology and science already.

Can't think of my third point..but what do you all think of this?

As far as I know, this doesn't include DIT. This is an application by all of the other technical institutes around Ireland to be part of a single technical university. DIT is classed differently and can grant its own awards. DIT has been looking for university status for years by itself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

As far as I know, this doesn't include DIT. This is an application by all of the other technical institutes around Ireland to be part of a single technical university. DIT is classed differently and can grant its own awards. DIT has been looking for university status for years by itself...

This is true, DIT isn't an "IT" but a separate institution with its own awarding powers, something normally confined to universities. Hence the "university in all but name" appeal by DIT, other ITs do not have awarding powers but all go through HETAC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

^ Oh, I didn't know this. So DIT gives out higher qualifications than other IT's? Mods feel free to move it then.
    Well it depends.Your in Chemisrty ( I presume), so theres a good chance you probably have work placement.As you might know when working in the pharmaceutical work, companies will usually have to do a general training for a couple of weeks.So if your up against a college graduate, the fact that you won't have to do a long train-in with you will give you a distinctive advantage.

'Could distance from pubs also be an acceptable factor in 3rd level choices?''

That was just an example actually. I'm not in 3rd level education yet! But I know what you're talking about there. But for something like a straight up job as a pharmacist. Would a degree from an IT look attractive to employers in a pharmacy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

people here are talking about it by the name of the college rather then anything else. All that shold matter is what the students come out at the end with. I know people who have come out of trinity with accounting degrees and they stand to nothing in the real world compared to say accounting and finace degrees from NUI Maynooth or even DIT own one with gives near full excemption in the ACA exams and in the AITI if i'm not mistaken. So used reason like this rather then is an IT Uni or PLC even. Look what it gives you at the end not what it is called

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

The value of the degree(in an employer's eyes) differs depending on the subject really imo... so yeah, the likes of Pharmacy/Denistry/medicine etc from Trinity would be looked on favourably but then accounting etc might not be. You can't really group every course in a college under one banner, differant courses have differant reps, often set by the graduates that have come before you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭elementalwater

Would a degree from an IT look attractive to employers in a pharmacy?

Maybe go to a prospective employer and ask him who'd he hire? Uni vs IT?

I know IT's are very into the whole placement theme (i'm about to go on my 7 month one) which means you have practicle experience when you grad.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,302 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Trinity is rated higher ib science, but DIT is higher rated in enginering etc

Advertisement