Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can someone explain this to me?

• 15-03-2008 3:26pm

Why do they have to blur/erase/cover/etc. the WWF Scratch logo when they're showing footage from the Eras it was used?

I mean.. they can use the WWF Block logo, but not the scratch logo?

I don't get it. Its always been on my mind sub-consciously. I mean. it makes no sense. Showing that logo doesnt hurt the Panda people. It doesnt attack them by having a WWF scratch logo present.

Its not like they can pretend it never existed. It was the central part of the RAW IS WAR titantron.

So, my question:

Can anyone think of any logical reason why WWE are not allowed display the WWF Scratch logo?

brand.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

I assume it was part of the conditions that were set down by a court between the tree huggers and the then WWF. doesn't make a lot of sense, but its not worth WWE's while to disobey a court order or legal agreement.

Edit: from Wikipedia (referring to the case between the two parties)
    Additionally, the court order required the company (WWE) to remove both spoken and visual references to "WWF" in its library of video footage (which spans several decades).

I assume it was part of the conditions that were set down by a court between the tree huggers and the then WWF. doesn't make a lot of sense, but its not worth WWE's while to disobey a court order or legal agreement.

Edit: from Wikipedia (referring to the case between the two parties)

Can you link me to the Wikipedia article?

Also, i dont see how it makes sense. They still use the WWF block logo whenever they want.

I think they should have appealed such a ridiculous decision.

In the Tagged Classics DVDs, do they blur the WWF turnbuckle covers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

They aren't allowed to use any of the old wwf logo's at all as far as I know, it was one of the parts of the court ruling.

Yep, they blur the turnbuckle covers, which is a pain in the arse when you're watching old matches on dvd.

It's not that ridiculous from a legal standpoint. They lost the rights to "wwf", so them showing the acronym on tv would open them up to lawsuits from the wildlife folks for breach of copyright or something like that I'd imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I think they should have appealed such a ridiculous decision.

WWE had a legal agreement with the WWF that they broke, they hadn't a hope of winning the court case

They don't have to blur the old WWF logo because they lost the right to the WWF name in certain circumstances, not all. There's a few other special cases where they can make reference to WWF

Fozzy wrote: »
    WWE had a legal agreement with the WWF that they broke

Do you know what it was? or how they broke it?

• Advertisement

Do you know what it was? or how they broke it?

I'm pretty sure that the main part was that they couldn't market themselves using the WWF name outside of America. WWE agreed to this and then broke it for years

But... How can they market themselves any other way?

Besides, it always said "World Wrestling Federation" underneath the logo anyway :-/

They could use their full name. The WWF (panda people) owned the rights to the term WWF

It wasnt a part of the conditions of the deal . It was more to the fact that WWF was so engrained into everybodys head that they needed a fresh start. People still say WWF to this day , and when anybody hears it , people automatically think wrestling.

It wasnt a part of the conditions of the deal . It was more to the fact that WWF was so engrained into everybodys head that they needed a fresh start. People still say WWF to this day , and when anybody hears it , people automatically think wrestling.

What wasn't a part of the conditions of the deal? Blurring out the WWF scratch logo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

thank christ for the tagged classics dvds, no blurring needed so we dont get the bastardised versions of old ppvs, although now its kinda wierd hearing people call it the WWF, did anyone see the WWF sign with the wildlife panda logo on it in the crowd on raw a while back, clever way of a fan getting the wwf logo on wwe tv without them having to blur it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

krudler wrote: »
    thank christ for the tagged classics dvds, no blurring needed so we dont get the bastardised versions of old ppvs, although now its kinda wierd hearing people call it the WWF, did anyone see the WWF sign with the wildlife panda logo on it in the crowd on raw a while back, clever way of a fan getting the wwf logo on wwe tv without them having to blur it

Yeah, saw that. Had a hearty chuckle.

Does anyone else someties feel like a tard when talking to a non-wrestling fan about wrestling, and not being sure whether to address it as the WWE or the WWF. It almost seems that if I call it WWE, that person will consider me as some sort or wrestling mark who's a sad act, yet calling it the WWF feels weird too :confused::confused:

Ahhhhh curse you Mr. Panda federation. :pac::pac::pac:

krudler wrote: »
    thank christ for the tagged classics dvds, no blurring needed

they dont blur tagged classics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Nope, the blurring only appears on rereleased wwe dvds and american releases, the wwf logo both old and scratch version is on all the tagged classics dvds so its worth buying them for that alone

Advertisement