Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Families the ideal tenants?

Options
  • 15-03-2008 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

I'm renting out a house with an Agency. Would a family be a better idea for a 12 month lease rather than 3 individuals, so there wouldn't be a problem if 1 person leaves? I'm thinking of the neighbours next door. Has anyone any experience?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭radioactiveman

Have never rented to a family but I think if you get one that keeps the house in a fairly ok condition it could have a lot of advantages over individual tenants. Individuals don't really care about the upkeep of the house whereas a family are more likely to settle in and make it their home.
    You also have the advantage of them paying rent as one unit rather than chasing up the one that never pays. If you get several individuals you also have more of a risk of getting a troublesome one. That said a family with babies and toddlers could leave the house in a state:)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dors1976

I live in a mixed apartment block in relation to renters and owners - families and individuals. What I can say is that it is very much what each individual is like.
    Example - the guy across the hall from me who owns his place, every Saturday morning around 4 comes in drunk with all his friends and they make tons of noise.
    Another example - the guy who lives beside me - never hear a peep from him, he rents alone.
    Another example - the woman who lives one floor up has a small child but the child is in bed by 9pm, but very active during the day.

If you are thinking of your neighbors i would personally rent to a family. But you really won't know until they move in.

Also individuals could treat the place like crap too - not just families :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

If you are looking for long-term tenants, families I think would be your best bet as they are unlikely to intend to move on after twelve months. Also a family would consider your property their home much more so than a group of individuals would, therefore likely to afford it with more respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

In our expierence of 25 years of renting.

Single (unmarried) men from 25 - 35 are the ideal tenennnts

Advertisement