Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cutting out on low idle

Options
  • 15-03-2008 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Any ideas on what might be the cause of a car to cut out on a low idle when coming to a stop at traffic lights or junctions.Engine is running perfect at all other times so im a bit stumped as to the cause.
    It starts no problem after cutting out and has no problem with power or getting up a bit of speed.
    Its a 95 Sunny btw. 90,000 miles Never had an ounce of trouble tll this.
    Thanks
    2ST

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Idle control valve wont open properly due to failed mechanism or disconnected? Does it always cut unless giving it some socks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭2stageturbo

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Idle control valve wont open due to failed mechanism or disconnected? Does it always cut unless giving it some socks?

Really only started 2 days ago.It wont cut out every time but it is getting more frequent.
    I had it in for the NCT last week (passed) and im now thinking did the tester do a bit more than look it over.:confused:
    I'll get a look under it tomorrow to see if anything is loose or disconnected.
    Would it be worth adjusting the accelerator cable slightly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If it runs well and if you can keep it ticking over using accelerator I would say Idle valve too although i have seen cases of where a cracked air pipe was causing car to occasionally overrev therefore causing idle valve to try to reduce rev and then if cracked pipe was occasionally sealing itself, revs would die so really just do a general check of air intake and pipework then idle valve. Also dirty throttle body causing it to stay slightly open can cause same problems.

Thanks lads.
    I'll give it the once over tomorrow.
    It's a great little motor that costs me almost nothing to run:)

Just a pity about the looks dept:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Adjusting the accelerator cable is not the fix

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    Adjusting the accelerator cable is not the fix

Fair enough.
    Bit of luck, something has come loose.

Advertisement