Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Why do you own a gun?"

Options
  • 15-03-2008 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭

A lead on thread from the thread posted by sparks.

Myself I love the workmanship of a firearm. Its about the last area of manufacture that is still produced solidly and with precision. It has to be, to be used safely!
    Not many of today’s mass produced items are still mostly made from wood and steel. A lot of people I know are also interested in clocks and watches for the same reason. I collect and shoot as many weapons as I can. Some de-activated most not.

To me a firearm is like a machine. The bits have to fit right and function together to be able to work right. I am also interested in the history of older weapons. Who used them? Where were they used? Can you imagine some of the sights battle rifles would of seen! The terror, of the person, behind the trigger and the terror of the person in front of the barrel.

I used to shoot for the table, but now only use my firearms for target.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I own mine because you're not allowed throw the pellets down the range in the olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

Sometimes I think it might be easier Sparks :o

• Registered Users Posts: 39,356 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Originally it was for hunting, after hanging around here I'm growing a bigger interest in target shooting. Would really like to try 50m rifle or production class pistol, but its out of my means at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Fox and vermin control.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Sparks wrote: »
    I own mine because you're not allowed throw the pellets down the range in the olympics.

:DGood one:D But What is behind the ownership and passion behind owning a firearm? We all spend alot of time following our sports and if we were payed for our time at it we would all be rich:p

What brought you to the sport and why do we put it ahead of most other activities we do? inc our other halfs most of the time:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Because thier cool;)
    I know a few people who got firearms for this reason as i explained in another thread.
    Me, i love all aspects of hunting/gathering and having a couple of firearms makes for some great sport and keeps me out of trouble.
    Nothing gives me greater satisfaction than organising the hunt, going on the hunt, making a kill, cleaning and preparing the meal and sharing it with family or friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

chem wrote: »
    :DGood one:D But What is behind the ownership and passion behind owning a firearm? We all spend alot of time following our sports and if we were payed for our time at it we would all be rich:p
    What brought you to the sport and why do we put it ahead of most other activities we do? inc our other halfs most of the time:D

Hmmm. Okay.
    To be all poetic about it, it's that little moment of focus you get when you execute a shot perfectly. Mounting the rifle done right, mind in the right frame, breathing correct, the sight alignment is right and the sights drift down onto a solid sight picture and the trigger pulls itself and you put a round right through the ten ring. Dead on perfect.
    Air_tun_small.jpg
    50mBullseye_small.jpg
    That sense, that moment, is the only reason I shoot (there are other reasons for the other stuff I do in shooting, like the admin stuff - you see an Irish shooter on a podium wearing her gold medal with the anthem playing and the flag flying and you'll know what I mean). I don't care about the gun that much. I recognise the degree of engineering that went into it and it's got a degree of familiarity that a pair of old slippers has, but if I had to hack lumps off it to shoot better, I wouldn't think twice (in fact, that's the reason I stay with WTSC even though it's a haul to get out to the range - when they were starting off, they had a rifle that was too big for the junior shooting it, so the hacksaw came out and the rifle's stock got several inches shorter. Very important lesson, that). Actually, I just spent a few days last week with a dremel gouging large chunks out of the pistol's grip for that reason. I don't seem to get this love for a chunk of hardware that others get about their guns. I mean, I look at a CZ or whatever and I mostly just see an inferior design for the sort of shooting I do. I know, I know, it's only inferior if you're shooting 50m ISSF, it's optimal for hunting or informal target shooting, but this isn't a subject with rational and politically correct answers. I don't mean to put anyone's favorite firearm down, it's just that I don't get it at a very fundamental level.
    To be frank, if I'd picked up a bow when I started shooting instead of a rifle and found that moment, I probably wouldn't be in this forum, I'd be over in Archery :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

Sparks wrote: »
    Hmmm. Okay.
    To be all poetic about it, it's that little moment of focus you get when you execute a shot perfectly. Mounting the rifle done right, mind in the right frame, breathing correct, the sight alignment is right and the sights drift down onto a solid sight picture and the trigger pulls itself and you put a round right through the ten ring. Dead on perfect.
    Air_tun_small.jpg
    50mBullseye_small.jpg
    That sense, that moment, is the only reason I shoot (there are other reasons for the other stuff I do in shooting, like the admin stuff - you see an Irish shooter on a podium wearing her gold medal with the anthem playing and the flag flying and you'll know what I mean). I don't care about the gun that much. I recognise the degree of engineering that went into it and it's got a degree of familiarity that a pair of old slippers has, but if I had to hack lumps off it to shoot better, I wouldn't think twice (in fact, that's the reason I stay with WTSC even though it's a haul to get out to the range - when they were starting off, they had a rifle that was too big for the junior shooting it, so the hacksaw came out and the rifle's stock got several inches shorter. Very important lesson, that). Actually, I just spent a few days last week with a dremel gouging large chunks out of the pistol's grip for that reason. I don't seem to get this love for a chunk of hardware that others get about their guns. I mean, I look at a CZ or whatever and I mostly just see an inferior design for the sort of shooting I do. I know, I know, it's only inferior if you're shooting 50m ISSF, it's optimal for hunting or informal target shooting, but this isn't a subject with rational and politically correct answers. I don't mean to put anyone's favorite firearm down, it's just that I don't get it at a very fundamental level.
    To be frank, if I'd picked up a bow when I started shooting instead of a rifle and found that moment, I probably wouldn't be in this forum, I'd be over in Archery :D

Spoken like a true shooter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

The thufffpt of a rabbit taken sweetly, from down town, lying down in a field on a summer's evening with a 22.

A ten on a sporting stand with an old Browning well past its best, in me wellies; the same ten as the twat with the, tut, another yokel out for the day, look on his face, his 15k hyper customised Heylookami Special and the 'extra from Tron' outfit.

The look on a 10 year old's face when his Mammy says it's ok to let them see a REAL gun.

The walk up to collect a trophy, trying desperately not to grin too much, and on the way home waiting for her indoors to ring and ask, "how did you get on"?

The stuff, oh God, the magazines, catalogues, websites, accessories............ so much to drool over, from the newest 4 googol candlepower lamp that also acts as a rotisserie, to the pair of gloves with two extra holes for greater accuracy, reduced recoil, or travel sickness reduction or something.

So I can cock the hammer on a Smith and Wesson revolver, 'cause it's just really enjoyable to do so.

Shooting rats in me back garden.

My Grandfather had a gun.

Not least-I've made pals, blokes (mostly) who have a common interest in something so inherently dangerous if taken for granted that there is a strong bond. It's kinda like us against them, them being the unsafe or the ignorant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

i shoot burno .22 long rifle why i used to go fishing i can not do that anymore. i shoot at target in the field at my home .
    i have the used of a field 300yards long and 20yards wide
    i have about 12target in the field from 30yards to 200yards:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Why do I own a gun ? Probably because I grew up with them. I was still crapping in my nappies when I saw the da bringing in hares and rabbits and pheasants and ducks and... . I wasn't even 12 when I was taken out shooting pigeons over stubble and clays on Sunday mornings in a neighbouring farmers' field. Interest kind of went away when I was your typical awkward teenager only to come back with a vengance later to leave me stranded with a massive interest in everything hunting and two SxS Merkels and .22 Hornet Anschutz in the safe. The only thing lacking is enough time to spend in the fields. If money was no concern I'd do nothing but hunting, looking after feeders, shooting vermin,... unfortunatly I'm no gentleman of leisure but a continiously broke father of 3 kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭ironsight

Why ?

For target shooting, it's a hobby i enjoy, I also enjoy fishing, thats why I own a fishing rod!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭IDon'tKnow!

I like sooting. Thats why I have a gun. Don't care what I shoot at (with in the law). Love shooting love picking up guns in dealers. Would love to have more guns but don't want to fill the house with them (I do but the wife thinks that anymore the 0 guns is to many). But she did buy me a shotgun for my birthday.

Would like to have Hand Gun, Shotgun, rim fire and center fire rifle but am still a few guns off that.

Anything that gets you off the sofa away from the TV and out of the house thats not work has to be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

In a word

Craic

I went to a shoot in the club once upon a time - pure novice - got to try my hand at a load of stuff - got the bug. The criac in the club is mighty and heading off to a shoot with a load of the lads is brilliant.

Clay Pigeon, Sporting, ABT, DTL and Compact - Browning 425 U/O
    Static Pistol - Taurus .38 revolver (not mine - have to get one)
    Practical Pistol - Glock 34 9mm

Have dabbled in ISSF, 1500, Practical Shotgun, .22 Benchrest Rifle, etc but there's only so much time in the world. Have shot some centrefire but nothing in competition.

Have been out hunting a few times with the lads aswell - did more of that back when the gun was taller than me :D

Spend a fair bit of time instructing people aswell - nothing official but just giving lads a hand, tips, pointing out stuff they are going to do wrong, range etiquette etc.

There's a lot of time on the organising side of Practical Pistol stuff. You need to start prepping for those many weeks in advance. When they go off well though it's brilliant.

As someone said - anything that has you out of the house early on a Saturday or Sunday morning is all good.

Probably do it too much - herself cannot understand how I have most weekends out to December already earmarked for stuff but forget stuff she organised :o

She eventually came to a shoot in the club and got a look in the gun room and saw the lads with all their gear heading down the range - that on top of the fact that we head off at 6 or 7 o'clock many Saturday or Sunday mornings (there is no word for Saturday Morning in her language) has lead her to believe we're starting a cult. I did ask her to get me a Glock for my birthday once - she got me a clock - it's all progress.

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

At Sparks....

Both shots a little high mate :D:D:D:D

One click down :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Vermin control

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revan23

saves me waiting for rabbits to die of natural causes (shotgun) and because its more fun than poking holes in a target or a fox with a sharp stick (rifle) :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 garygareth

ironsight wrote: »
    Why ?

For target shooting, it's a hobby i enjoy, I also enjoy fishing, thats why I own a fishing rod!

I recently bought a Mac 10 sub machine gun online, beautiful weapon, it cost me $3,500 but it was worth every sent! Amazing machine!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Mainly because it's fun.

Blend of man and machine together to achieve a purpose.

NTM

Advertisement