Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Quest - Waterford's finest Full Irish Breakfast

• 15-03-2008 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

I bring you news of a quest.. A quest of great importance.

I'm looking for the finest most spectacular Full Irish Breakfast in Waterford.. or within a distance from Waterford city that is reasonable for one searching for a sausage and a rasher.

Criteria

The following should be certainties for any place claiming to provide the holy grail of a savage Full Irish:

Quality - Not your manky burnt sausage and fatty greasy tiny rasher.
    Quantity - There should be at least 2 jumbo sausages or 3 normal ones in a good Full Irish.
    Generousity - There should be no shortage of toast provided.
    Flexibility - Im a "swap that hash brown for a sausage" man myself. Such flexibility is applauded.

I'll start with the Shamrock in Dungarvan. Massive amounts of toast, a good serious pot of tea which I got 3 cups out of. Homemade marmalade on the table and the white puddin was the business. I couldnt finish it all so no complaints on quantity. All for less than a tenner.

Also.. The Bay Cafe (I think thats what its called) in Dunmore East. In the words of O'Gara during happier times.. They do the simple things well. Nice breakfast, not overly greasy but no weightwatchers portions either. No complaints really at all.

Ladies and Gentlemen.. I ask you to join me on this quest, and report back.
    Good luck.

EDIT... Let us also SHUN any heathen that stops serving the Full Irish at 11am.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Poor Sizzlers :(

It's sorely missed.

Anyways, Trotter, you may not believe this, but the breakfast in the Whitfield clinic is very, very good.

Tesco's in Ardkeen have a decent enough one too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Anyways, Trotter, you may not believe this, but the breakfast in the Whitfield clinic is very, very good.

Tesco's in Ardkeen have a decent enough one too.

My My Fajitas.. Putting yourself in hospital to get your hands on a good Full Irish... I bow to your dedication!!! :eek: :D

Tesco's is good.. but.. lets be honest. Its like climbing into a giant tesco value, white with blue stripes restaurant, and eating the finest cheapest food going. What it gains in its nice sausages, it loses in its complete lack of classiness.

Hospital or Tescos... Not the start I imagined but a start nonetheless!! Good stuff Fajitas!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

I give my vote to Jenny's Kitchen in the brasscock centre. Breakfast all day, jumbo sausages, nice rashers and eggs, loadsa toast, good teapot of tea, puddings, hash browns, fried tomatoes, beans etc all available in different combos as required. two thumbs up. Staff there are nice too, and a plus for the summertime - tables outdoors.

Jenny's Kitchen?

Haven't heard of that one before... Interesting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

The pantry down in georges court. A savage breakfast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

The breakfast in the Hyper is the best IMO and great value for money.

If you're feeling really hungry get the jumbo breakfast, the plate is groaning with the weight of food on it and its less than a tenner.

angry_fox wrote: »
    The pantry down in georges court. A savage breakfast

I think the Pantry has gone downhill quite a lot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

Fajitas! wrote: »
    I think the Pantry has gone downhill quite a lot...
    Has it? I only started going in there recently. Another place is Bellisimos, it was 12 euro but it was the nicest breakfast i ever had. I havent been back there since ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

echosound wrote: »
    I give my vote to Jenny's Kitchen in the brasscock centre.

Where's the Brasscock Centre?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Out on the Dunmore Rd where Oskars Bar is, Its actually off the roundabout just before you come to the Woodlands Hotel

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Any other suggestions on this folks?

Iv been to Tesco, its not to bad but its not as good as it used to be.

Iv never actually had to get breakfast anywhere in Waterford, besides breakfast rolls when out driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I still can't look past the bay café in Dunmore. (I know I know.. Waterford County.. ;)) They offer great flexibility (Theres no place in my full Irish for tomatoes.. ever.)

Also.. If you're ever in Dungarvan, The Shamrock, just up from Halifax is spectacular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

The Bay Cafe, yup great little spot and great memories of this place, they are v friendly and nice, the breakfast is ok nothing amazing anyone could do, but i go there for the atmosphere. Simply put after a night out going there for the smell of fried bacon hot coffee as well as the breeze of the ocean coming in and the great view , nothing beats it.

However the Vic cafe in tramore do a better quality breakfast but its way more pricy, the price of the orange juice amazed me, and not in a good way!

Also anyone going on a drive to Dublin or going over the bridge early in the morning id recommend the late late shop (i think its a centra now) on the Quay, great fresh bread (if you ctach them early enough) and the breakfast rolls are fantastic

Advertisement