Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wenger Out!!!!!

• 15-03-2008 6:55pm

Not really :D

But how come Arsenal fans never complain when results don't go their way?

I'm a gooner by the way, just trying to get my head around our "We'll be Champions..... Some day."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Papa Smut wrote: »
    how come Arsenal fans never complain when results don't go their way?

Humour section please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Because Wenger has won them the league and made them one of the best teams in the Premier League on a budget that Sunderland would dismiss as too small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

ITP: A typical Wenger interview

Interviewer: Did you feel you deserved a penalty?
    Wenger: Of course, how could the referee not see it, it was an easy decision!
    Interviewer: And what did you think of Eboue's challange on Ronaldo?
    Wenger: ......I did not see it

OP I really think you need to rephrase that original comment by the sounds of things!

Manager defending his players shocker!

More like manager blatantly hightlighting his absolute refusal to see his players do anything bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

He's a good manager... A complete rat but a good manager.

I don't for a second doubt that Wenger disciplines his players for their transgretions, but he does it the right way, away from the public eye.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I'm a gooner by the way, just trying to get my head around our "We'll be Champions..... Some day."
    I find it hard to comprehend how someone could be a Gooner and not know the answer to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

deise59 wrote: »
    More like manager blatantly hightlighting his absolute refusal to see his players do anything bad

Every manager does it, look heres the proof !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6wcicZGNnQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think he means why don't Arsenal wants complain about Wenger.

I'd say its because he has put together a title challenger squad with a net spend of 20 million less than Torres, yes thats right, 0 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The answer is because we remember the previous manager Bruch Rioch !!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

OP I really think you need to rephrase that original comment by the sounds of things!

oh what a great post, haven't heard that one before and of course Wenger is the only manager that reacts like that :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

How is that in any way relevant to the thread? Or just trying to cause trouble yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

not an Arsenal fan, but 1 defeat all season after spending modest amounts in transfer market while still in real contention to win the premiership title... not much to complain about really

in my view best all round manager in the premiership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

Mourinho does have a point, for a manager who has'nt won a whole lot he gets a whole lot of praise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

OPENROAD wrote: »
    oh what a great post, haven't heard that one before and of course Wenger is the only manager that reacts like that :rolleyes:

consistantly yes he is the only manager that reacts like that...

He is an exceptional manager, probably the best in the league but he does need to go to specsavers

Trilla wrote: »
    consistantly yes he is the only manager that reacts like that...

Don't agree with you, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Don't agree with you, I'm afraid.

thats the kinda thing that makes life interesting...really really interesting though

Seriously. People questioning Arsene Wenger? Let's be honest, he's probably the best manager in football, England, Europe or the World, in the last 30 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Murtinho wrote: »
    Mourinho does have a point, for a manager who has'nt won a whole lot he gets a whole lot of praise.

the number of trophies won is just a stat, and stats never give the complete picture. Any good manager could have taken over after Ambramovich bought it and won the league with Chelsea really, I mean all the ground work was done by Ranieri. After all, Grant isn't a patch on Jose and he's still in the title race. however, for a team have gone an entire season unbeaten. and with the footballing philosophy Wenger had? that's really on a different level to be honest.

also i wonder sometimes, why did Jose walk out on Porto so quickly after his successes. could some of the motivation have been that he was unsure that he could replicate his success?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

the number of trophies won is just a stat, and stats never give the complete picture. Any good manager could have taken over after Ambramovich bought it and won the league with Chelsea really, I mean all the ground work was done by Ranieri. After all, Grant isn't a patch on Jose and he's still in the title race. however, for a team have gone an entire season unbeaten. and with the footballing philosophy Wenger had? that's really on a different level to be honest.

also i wonder sometimes, why did Jose walk out on Porto so quickly after his successes. could some of the motivation have been that he was unsure that he could replicate his success?

Ah come on it's not rocket science. He had won all he could in the Portuguese League - the 2nd tier of leagues. It was time to move on to the next level. Only a fool would have stayed at Porto.

DSB wrote: »
    How is that in any way relevant to the thread? Or just trying to cause trouble yeah?

Of course not, I was just highlighting the fact that sometimes Arsene Wenger isn't the most gracious of managers when they lose, but on second reading I just saw the OP was talking about fans in particular, so I can see why it might have caused some confusion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

Seriously. People questioning Arsene Wenger? Let's be honest, he's probably the best manager in football, England, Europe or the World, in the last 30 years.

Never won the European cup and only has 3 or 4 titles and a couple of cups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Let's be honest, he's probably the best manager in football, England, Europe or the World, in the last 30 years.
    :rolleyes: You honestly believe Wenger is the best manager ever since 1978? How do you define best? Most trophies won? Most players bought or sold? Most money received in transfer fees? Most penalty incidents not seen? Most red cards received in a season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

AH COME ON ,yes he is a great manager but the best in the last 30 years maybe if he had this record

[edit] Aberdeen 1978–1986
    Domestic competition

Scottish League: (3) 1979-80, 1983-84, 1984-85
    Runners-Up: (2) 1980-81, 1981-82
    Scottish Cup: (4) 1981-82, 1982-83, 1983-84, 1985-86
    Scottish League Cup: (1) 1985-86
    Runners-Up: (2) 1978-79, 1979-80
    European competition

European Cup Winners Cup: (1) 1982-83
    UEFA Super Cup: (1) 1983-84

[edit] Manchester United 1986-
    Domestic competition

Premier League: (9) 1992-93, 1993-94, 1995-96, 1996-97, 1998-99, 1999-00, 2000-01, 2002-03, 2006-07
    FA Cup: (5) 1989-90, 1993-94, 1995-96, 1998-99, 2003-04
    League Cup: (2) 1991-92, 2005-06
    FA Charity/Community Shield: (7) 1990*, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2007
    European competition

UEFA Champions League: (1) 1998-1999
    UEFA Cup Winners' Cup: (1) 1990-91
    Intercontinental Cup: (1) 1999
    UEFA Super Cup: (1) 1991-92

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Lads, lads, stop your silly bickering. Sir Alex is the greatest manager in the history of the game ever and anyone who says otherwise is just deluded. Come on now. Now lets circle-jerk on a picture of the great man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lads, lads, stop your silly bickering. Sir Alex is the greatest manager in the history of the game ever and anyone who says otherwise is just deluded. Come on now. Now lets circle-jerk on a picture of the great man.

I think I'll pass on that. I will bring along the matches to burn the photo though.

Two different types of manager, both had great success, Fergie's had the most but has been at it ten years more, Wenger keeps bringing in top younsters on a shoe string etc etc. Yet another pointless argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Nice to see the thread has been hijacked and veered WAY off topic.

In reply to the OP, I believe the reason why Arsenal fans don't call for Wenger's head when things go bad is because we know he is the reason why our club is in such a good position and consistently has been for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

I remember when Arsenal lost 3-0 at home to Inter in champions league. I watched your on sky sports that night and someone rings up as says in all seriousness Wenger has to go.
    Of course that season they went on to win league unbeaten. Still remains my favourite call ever, got to love the fickleness!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

cooker3 wrote: »
    I remember when Arsenal lost 3-0 at home to Inter in champions league. I watched your on sky sports that night and someone rings up as says in all seriousness Wenger has to go.
    Of course that season they went on to win league unbeaten. Still remains my favourite call ever, got to love the fickleness!

They also thumped Inter about 5-1 at the San Siro iirc

cooker3 wrote: »

Love that show, truly the ghome of the irate and the ignorant.

Of course not, I was just highlighting the fact that sometimes Arsene Wenger isn't the most gracious of managers when they lose, but on second reading I just saw the OP was talking about fans in particular, so I can see why it might have caused some confusion

All managers are the same, but Arsenal have achieved a great deal under Wenger for a relatively small investment playing some of the best football in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

So is it logic then to say that we could achieve even better things if there was significant investment in the squad? As a fan for over 20 years I do get frustrated by our lack of investment in players. I've no problem buying for the future, but what about the present?

keano_afc wrote: »
    So is it logic then to say that we could achieve even better things if there was significant investment in the squad? As a fan for over 20 years I do get frustrated by our lack of investment in players. I've no problem buying for the future, but what about the present?

The thing is we are supposed to have adequate funds to invest in the new squad particularly since the move to the new stadium but it is not really Wengers style, he just won't pay over the odds for a player, I would like if we had added during the transfer window but Wenger obviously felt the squad was strong enough.I suppose the team is at an age now where it should start to achieve things. I feel we will add a couple of players during the summer but no more than that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Galvasean wrote: »
    Love that show, truly the ghome of the irate and the ignorant.

and thats just the presenters!! WAY-OH!! :D

but tbh the reason arsenal fans dont call for wengers head is because he is an amazing manager, he has a great record and if they did get rid of him no one could live up to what he has achieved at arsenal!

• Advertisement

but tbh the reason arsenal fans dont call for wengers head is because he is an amazing manager, he has a great record and if they did get rid of him no one could live up to what he has achieved at arsenal!

A Man United fan speaks, and an Arsenal fan could not have said it better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Same thing happened for Ireland under Charlton. It was clear about 2.5 years before the end that Big Jack had run out of ideas but we were so grateful to be where we where that we forgave any dips in form.

Same with Wenger. Arsenal fans have long enough memories to realise they've never had it so good.

Advertisement