Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

523i Cutting Out

Options
  • 15-03-2008 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭

Lads,

Have a question!
    Got the alternator changed on my 96 523i yesterday and seems to be fine - the red battery light is go out and starting fine.
    Only problem is that when I drive it and im coming to a stop the car cuts out when i put the clutch in - but starts again no problem. Shes a bit jumpy too!!
    I should mention that when i collected the car, the petrol was nearly gone as they had it running all afternoon, to charge the battery - drove it straight to the petrol station when i collect it and the problem started on the way - could the engine be air locked???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Would bet on it being a cracked air pipe or a pipe that was disturbed during the work and not put back properly or just split while being handled.
    If not, check all connections in area of work.
    First check I would make would be the pipe between the air filter housing/air flow meter and the throttle body.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Cheers mickdw.
    I thought it might have been something that they bumped off or loosened when they were fixing it cos it was running perfect until the alternator died!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

hey curran, i had a simillar problem on my 323i. It can be one of a few things. For me it turned out to be an oil breather fault.

you most likely have an airflow issue so need to check the MAF, ICV and and any air hoses that may be cracked.

have a read here:

http://www.bavarian-board.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=39647&PN=2

its worth getting a diagnostic done before you replace anything.

Cheers quarryman - will have a read tomorrow in work ;)
    Wheres the best place to get a diagnostic - AC?? - cost much??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Camshaft sensor - textbook bmw fault cutting out while slowing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

EnterNow wrote: »
    Camshaft sensor - textbook bmw fault cutting out while slowing
    Failure of the crank sensor also gives the same symptoms. A diagnosis is required to find out what is the cause!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

could be running a bit lean and if it its jumpy its not a good sign wuld have to see it happen t give an accuate opinion but the butterfly valve could be gne and might be running a bit lean on fuel but then again theres a million and one sensors to check so diagnostics is the best option...

i have much exp with bmws and tbh this is a quite comon problem but its always caused by something differant....

you should check that all pipes are no crack and have something holdin them on...

i only ever have to sort problems like this out on toyota corrollas and volkswagen golfs but 9 times out of 10 its just people comming down too fast off the revs + faulty sensors....
    just my 2p , dont shoot me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Hey curran , EXACTLY the same thing happend to me after getting my alternator replaced too a while back!

... The culprit was a small crack in the air pipe! (was probably disturbed while they were fitting the alternator)

I taped it up myself and is running perfectly ever since.

Cheers C_Breeze,
    Will have a look around the pipes in the morning - having my fingers crossed its something that simple - cos the missus is going ape that i have to use her car!!! :rolleyes:

Cheers for the replies lads - if anyone else wants to add their 2c, id be grateful - will have a look at all the simple possibilities myself before checkin the more serious ones! Handy to have as much ruled out as possible!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

you're not going to get any better advice here really until you get a diagnostic done. There are too many causes of those symptoms.

Check for cracked pipes but a lot of the stuff you won't even be able to see, good luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement