Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Time Build: Advice

Options
  • 15-03-2008 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Firstly, I am thinking about building my own PC from a few components I have here but will need to buy some other things.
    My old computer was a Dell Dimension 4700 but it went pop and nobody seemed to be able to fix it. When you started it up, the power light just stayed amber and the fan was on full blast.

Anyways, my parents splashed out on a new PC from Dell but I kept the old one as a kind of project. :rolleyes:

The RAM from the computer is fine (was only new), along with the processor, graphics card and hard drive.

I was wondering what else would be worth salvaging or trying to salvage from the old Dimension 4700??

as for building a new PC..........can anyone recommend the other components I would need for a build. I plan on it having 2GB's RAM (4x512MB PC-2700) with my Pentium4 Processor and old graphics card (all I know its an ATI 128MB card). the computer won't be used for running games, just internet browsing and things like word processing or Dreamweaver.

I'm not sure what the other things are I will need. Any help would be greatly appreciated. As I said, this is going to be a project to help me understand computers and how they're built. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Sounds like a dodgy power supply to me...

Anyway you will need to get a LGA775 socket motherboard that supports pc 2700...

Then get a case, psu, dvd drive and download/get the cd of whatever os you had and use the serial on the back/front of your unused dell pc...

Just as rough guide here is a very cheap build

ASRock S775 VIA PT880 ATX GLAN €53

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4QNB&CategorySelectedId=11143&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11143,405070000,4294959853

Dabs Value Midi Tower 400W Silent - Silver €34

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=39MT&CategorySelectedId=11145&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11145,44110000

LiteOn 20X DVD+/-RW/RAM IDE black + NERO €23

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4TR6&CategorySelectedId=11155&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11155,4294952765

€120 delivered I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

Same as above.. if thats what you wanna do..
    You could buy a cheap computer and get a crossover LAN cable and you could setup a local gaming network. Completely different to your console gaming as well!

Here is a budget rig for €244 from www.hardwareversand.de:

Intel Pentium Dualcore E2160 "Tray", LGA775

ASRock Conroe1333-D667, Sockel 775, mATX

Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Sockel 775

1024MB DDR2 Aeneon PC6400 CL 5, PC6400/800
    1024MB DDR2 Aeneon PC6400 CL 5, PC6400/800

Compucase 6K11BS sch/silb. 350W ,temp-geregelt, mATX

Sapphire Radeon HD 2400 Pro,256MB GDDR2, PCI-Express

Samsung HD161HJ S-ATA II 160GB 7200, 8 MB Cache, NCQ

Samsung SH-S203D bulk schwarz

That will play CoD4; CoH; UT2004;Quake 4; Crysis; if you turn down the spec. You can also overclock the beans out of that E2160.

I'm now half thinking of buying one myself :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

the computer won't be used for running games, just internet browsing and things like word processing or Dreamweaver.
    toco123 wrote:
    You could buy a cheap computer and get a crossover LAN cable and you could setup a local gaming network.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

Hehe!! Thanks a lot for the suggestions people. :)

The idea of a little gaming computer is actually interesting. I didn't think I could build one that cheap which was capable of running great games. Afterall I do spend a lot of time gaming on Xbox360.

Although, I might just build a basic computer as I originally said and upgrade my new PC with a decent graphics card maybe. :)

Thanks again everyone. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

Jeez Gurgle, It was only a god damn suggestion!! You might wanna strech the budget for a 7600GT if possible too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

I'll have a look into decent graphics cards as well. I'm thinking about chancing my arm and seeing if it is the PSU which is faulty on the computer.

So I'm looking for a PSU for a Dell Dimension 4700 or one which is compatible.

I've checked online and it says that the PSU will need the following:

1 Each
    24 Pin
    ATX Power

8 Each
    4 Pin Peripheral
    or 5.25 Drive

1 Each
    4 Pin Floppy
    or 3.5 Drive

3 Each
    Serial ATA