Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

oil submerged pc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

What stupidity.
    Also pretty messy if you wanted to tinker with it afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

i agree with the messy bit, i dont know where your comming from with stupidity? would it not cool the components?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

So does a fan, so does water cooling. Whats the point?

well thats what my question was :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

cool the components? wouldn't it heat them up more? the oil heats up, but that heat has no where to go because the guy who had this genius idea, siliconed the case up to the hilt.

• Advertisement

i wouldnt expect the computer be able to heat the oil faster than the oil cools itself... could be wrong, be interesteing to see it in action

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

jetski wrote: »
    i wouldnt expect the computer be able to heat the oil faster than the oil cools itself... could be wrong, be interesteing to see it in action

itl heat up faster than will cool down, this is obvious. Youll also end up with really poor circulation of fluid, meaning ul get hot patchs around the cpu, northbridge, graphics card, etc. Poor means of cooling IMO. just leaving it at its original state with air cooling would be better.

you must admit oil is a good conductor of heat and a pc case full of it has a hell of alot more surface space than a heatsink... there is also the possability of leaving the cpu fan connected :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Poor means of cooling IMO. just leaving it at its original state with air cooling would be better.

Oil cooling is extremely efficient. Far better then air cooling...but seriously messy.

This is very amusing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

the problem is they are using either vegetable or cooking oil which is protein based and will stink to high heaven over time.

This method below is much better as it uses mineral oil. I'd do it myself if I was setting up something like a home server or mail server and wanted silence. Plus as the below video shows, it can look pretty cool to

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

L31mr0d wrote: »
    the problem is they are using either vegetable or cooking oil which is protein based and will stink to high heaven over time.

This method below is much better as it uses mineral oil. I'd do it myself if I was setting up something like a home server or mail server and wanted silence. Plus as the below video shows, it can look pretty cool to

Now thats nice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Wow, now that is amazing............googles to find a fish that can survive in mineral oil :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Personally I would stick with the cooking oil. Imagine the possibility:

Come home late one night, switch on the PC to watch a movie. Suddenly you feel peckish...reach down and grab a bag of McCain fries and dump them into the tank.

I wonder if I have an old deep fat fryer around that I could use as a case???

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Wow, now that is amazing............googles to find a fish that can survive in mineral oil :p

rofl! Just mod a partition into the front of the tank that has water :) You could even have tropical fish as it would be nice and toasty :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

conzymaher wrote: »
    rofl! Just mod a partition into the front of the tank that has water :) You could even have tropical fish as it would be nice and toasty :)

that would be amazing i'd be definitely game for trying it:D
    Maybe start with goldfish and work my way up to tropical fish :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭Design_Dude

Does oil not conduct a certain amount of electricity? Alos, the fan would burn out very quickly under the pressure of oil would it not? Deadly idea tho!:)

Advertisement