Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Totti

• 15-03-2008 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭

Watching Roma v Milan and thinking, when he gets the ball, or the ball is coming to him, everybody else on the field seems almost to be in slow motion. He has so much time. Cantona was like that. I can't think of anyone else currently. Surely the mark of a great player. Can't stand Totti the person, mind you. Hated Cantona for leaving my beloved Leeds too :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

the best players are excellent at creating time and space for themselves, allowing them to dictate the pace of a game and getting other people on the ball,paul scholes is an excellent example imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

scruff321 wrote: »
    paul scholes is an excellent example imo

IYO. NIM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Riquelme.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i dont like totti the person but as a player he is absolutely first class. so much composure and natural flair its not funny. an absolute legend for AS Roma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Yeah Totti has been one of the best players around for a few years now but he never seems to get the recognition he deserves. For a player who is challenging for capocannonieri every year he is not very highly rated outside of Italy, except by Serie A fans. I think its because he plays for Roma, if he had been playing for Inter, Milan or Juve(pre calciopli) he would be have won a least one Ballon d'or and a few more trophies by now. You do have to admire his loyalty to Roma though when he could have moved to almost any other club in the world but stayed with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Tottis great in one game and then average or even absent for the next few.

A million miles away from a great player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Nunu wrote: »
    Riquelme.

+1

Often think that he didn't get the best out of his talent. Would have loved to see him come to EPL just to see him play every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

adox wrote: »

1993- A.S. Roma 390 (164) - A goal every 2.38.

1998-2006 Italy 58 (9)

A.S. Roma

* Serie A:
    o Winner: 2001
    o Runner-up: 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007
    * Coppa Italia:
    o Winner: 2007
    o Runner-up: 2003, 2005, 2006
    * Supercoppa Italiana:
    o Winner: 2001, 2007
    o Runner-up: 2006

National Team

* FIFA World Cup:
    o Winner: 2006
    * UEFA European Championship:
    o Runner-up: 2000
    * UEFA Under-21 European Championship:
    o Winner: 1996

Individual

* FIFA 100 (125 greatest living players)

* 2006 FIFA World Cup All-Star Team

* EURO 2000 Team of the Tournament

* Serie A Footballer of the Year: 2000, 2003

* Italian Footballer of the Year: 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2007

* Serie A Young Footballer of the Year: 1999

* Serie A top scorer: 2006-07

* European Golden Boot: 2006-2007

* All-Time Top Scorer for Roma

Yeah definitely not great :rolleyes:

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Yeah definitely not great :rolleyes:

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Surely the mark of a great player. (

Sounded like he was looking for opinion on him and I gave mine.

I`ll ask your permission the next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Well define great then if appearances, goals, awards and trophies aren't in your criteria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Well define great then if appearances, goals, awards and trophies aren't in your criteria.

lol,well said ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Watching Roma v Milan and thinking, when he gets the ball, or the ball is coming to him, everybody else on the field seems almost to be in slow motion. He has so much time. Cantona was like that. I can't think of anyone else currently. Surely the mark of a great player. Can't stand Totti the person, mind you. Hated Cantona for leaving my beloved Leeds too :(

Torres seems to be like that at the moment. Nothing seems to rush him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

but your opinion is rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Utter tripe. As long as he is playing for Roma he gives his all every game and as Xavi pointed out is extremely consistent.If he's playing for Italy he is hit and miss but he won his World Cup and when they took him off against the USA they looked lost without him .

I love the guy, both as a footballer and as a man. He has a certain finesse that I think other skillful footballers lack. He just seems so much less frenetic than those guys. This clip shows what I mean in a more articulate manner
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktyW8uUPp5E

He is also a big game player (and before anyone mentions the 7-1, exceptionally bad performance by Roma and in fairness Totti got an assist) and one of the reasons that I have a lot of time for him as a person is that he has stuck with Roma despite much better options. He's not a money grabber and he doesn't bull**** to the fans and then return as a messiah (ala Stevie G). He is also phenomenal with the fans. 6 years ago I saw Roma vs. Lazio and Totti was out there posing for photos muh longer than the others not to mention he has solved some Ultra desputes in the past. Ironically, it's not just here he's not appreciated, generally the rest of Italy, particularly the north don't rate him either. Strange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

You've got to admire the Roman mentality and turning down the advances of the Milans through the years.

Love watching him play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Problem for him is that Roma is always a smaller club, and as such, even though his performances for them have been nothing short of unreal, he is always gona be rated on his CL performances and his Italy performances. Those have been lacking somewhat, and because of that, people are gona ignore his Roma performances, which are just amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

He turned down Chelsea too last season afair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I love the guy, both as a footballer and as a man.

As a man? In what sense?

Absolute class footballer, one of the best there are, but hardly the nicest guy going.

but your opinion is rubbish.

In your(and others opinion).

Get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    As a man? In what sense?

Absolute class footballer, one of the best there are, but hardly the nicest guy going.

Well for one for a player who could have moved to any club in the world at practically any time in his career he is phenomenally loyal which I love to see in a player, especially when the club you are staying at was as small as Roma was when he appeared on the scene. Secondly, he does an awful lot of work behind the scenes to keep the Ultra's happy and stop them from destroying the place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

I possess a cheap knock off Roma kit with "Totti" on the back, hence proving that he is worthy to be called a world class player, when he is accepted into the Gucci Hall Of Fame for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence TM
    Class, class player. when you consider how he came back from that horrific ankle injury to play such a role to win the world cup with italy.

(The only other jersey i have with a name on it is a Maldini 3 AC Milan Jersey)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    As a man? In what sense?

This Totti appreciation thread reminds me of one of favourite stories from a few years back.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3109197.stm

Basically, the gist of the story is that Totti was (still is?) a bit dim and the butt of many jokes which got very popular, so a book was brought out called All the Totti Jokes (co-written by Totti, natch ;))

Gave the proceeds to charity too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Advertisement