Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

PSV test

Options
  • 15-03-2008 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hey all! Question! My partner has just passed the PSV taxi exam. But can anyone tell me what now. I know he needs to get roof sign and meter fitted before he goes for "another" NCT test and he needs to rent plate. But where to start? I would appreciate any info. Tks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hey all! Question! My partner has just passed the PSV taxi exam. But can anyone tell me what now. I know he needs to get roof sign and meter fitted before he goes for "another" NCT test and he needs to rent plate. But where to start? I would appreciate any info. Tks.

if you dont mind me asking, when did he sit the exam and where?
    im just trying to gauge when i should get my results. (i sat exam on 1st march)

in regards to your question :

he needs to go to the carraige office/regulators office and pick up his PSV card.
    he then needs to buy/rent a plate

then he needs to go get a meter/printer/roofsign as these will be linked to the plate number.

then he needs to got to your local nct centre who will test his car to make sure its ok and that all equipment is installed ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MarinoMark

am a first time applicant – what do I do?
    If you are planning to drive the vehicle yourself, you first need to apply for an SPSV driver’s licence ( click here to find out more about driver licensing). Then follow the steps below.

Step 1: Contact the National Car Testing Service (NCTS) to register your initial application for a licence by ringing the dedicated SPSV lo-call number 1890 927 977 for details of the process. At this point you will only need to supply your name and address. You will then be provided with an application form.

Step 2: Fill in the application form, and return it together with the appropriate fee, to the following address: National Car Testing Service (NCTS) Ltd Citywest Business Campus, Lakedrive 3026, Naas Road, Dublin 24 An application cannot be progressed until a completed application form along with the appropriate fee has been received. Once this is in order, you will be assigned a provisional SPSV licence number.

Item
    Fee (&euro)

New Taxi

New Wheelchair Accessible Taxi

New Hackney

New Limousine

Step 3: Once you have received the provisional licence number, you can proceed to have the vehicle fitted out with a meter and roof-sign if it is to be used for a taxi. If you are licensing the vehicle as a hackney or limousine you can go straight to Step 4. Note that you have three months from the date of your initial application to present your car for inspection.

Step 4: When the vehicle is ready for inspection, it can be presented at any of the 43 NCTS Service centres throughout the country by appointment, where it will be tested and assessed for suitability as a small public service vehicle. An SPSV NCT test is also required for a new application, and must be booked in advance by phoning the SPSV dedicated number – 1890 927 977.

Step 5: Upon successful completion of the suitability test, a licence will be granted when the application, together with the following documents, have been inspected and passed by NCTS:
    (a) A valid NCT certificate
    (b) A Valid Vehicle Suitability Test Certificate as provided by NCTS
    (c) A valid SPSV insurance certificate in respect of the vehicle to be licensed
    (d) A valid Tax Clearance Certificate in respect of the named applicant for this licence (this can be obtained from your local revenue office or by visiting http://www.revenue.ie/)
    (e) The appropriate fee (as above)

Note that the name on the tax clearance certificate must fully match that on the application form, all documents must be valid on the date they are presented and the insurance certificate must specifically be for an SPSV.

Step 6: NCTS provides you with a licence certificate, and applies a tamper proof licence disc to the vehicle. The vehicle can now legally operate as an SPSV.

How do I renew a vehicle licence?
    Please note that you can renew your vehicle licence up to 12 weeks in advance of the expiry date. Please note: You will no longer be able to renew your licence after it expires, so we urge you to make contact with the NCTS before your expiry date. Any licence not renewed within the 12-week period prior to the expiry date will lapse. Restoration of a lapsed licence will require application to the Commission for Taxi Regulation and the fee for restoration of a licence is €500.

Six weeks in advance of renewal date, you will receive notification of the expiry date of your licence. You will be requested to phone the dedicated SPSV number 1890 927 977 to arrange an appointment for your licence renewal, which can be co-ordinated with your NCTS vehicle test. A final reminder will issue two weeks prior to expiry date. This notice will inform you of the consequences of not renewing.

To renew your licence:
    Step 1: A licence will be granted when the following documents have been inspected and passed by the NCTS:
    (a) A valid NCTS certificate
    (b) A valid SPSV insurance certificate in respect of the vehicle to be licensed
    (c) A valid tax clearance certificate in respect of the named applicant for this licence
    (d) Valid payment

Step 2: All documents are inspected by NCTS. If any of the above are not available or are invalid, you will not be able to complete the renewal.

Step 3: Upon successful inspection of all documents, NCTS provides you with a renewed licence. The new disc and certificate is printed, and a new tamper proof disc is applied to the vehicle.

Where an SPSV licence holder applies to renew the licence before the due date, but fails the NCT, the current SPSV will remain ‘Valid’ until its original expiry date.

What do I do if my licence is out of date?
    It is essential that all vehicles operating as SPSVs have a valid SPSV licence. The Commission for Taxi Regulation will take all necessary steps to ensure that any vehicle, in respect of which a SPSV licence has not been renewed prior to the date of expiry, ceases to operate as a SPSV on that date.

The Commission for Taxi Regulation is aware that there may be a perception that a ‘period of grace’ applies after the expiry date during which a vehicle can continue to operate as a SPSV. This is not the case. The existing situation is that it is an offence to operate as a SPSV without a valid licence and this will continue to be the case. Anyone operating a SPSV without a valid licence is guilty of an offence under section 43 of the Taxi Regulation Act 2003. A person found guilty of this offence is liable on a summary conviction to a fine not exceeding €3,000. Where a person is found guilty of such an offence for the third or subsequent time within a period of 12 months, that person is liable to a fine not exceeding €3,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding three months, or to both.

Any licence not renewed within the 12-week period prior to the expiry date will lapse. In order to facilitate people who are unable to renew within that period, a process will be put in place whereby a person may apply to the Commission for Taxi Regulation to have such a lapsed licence restored. Any such application must be made within six months of the expiry date and be accompanied by the appropriate application form together with the licence restoration fee of €500.

Where a licence has lapsed for more than six months beyond the expiry date, an application for restoration may be made to the District Court. Where the application is granted, the Commission for Taxi Regulation will then restore the licence on receipt of the €500 restoration fee.

To have a licence restored, you will need to do the following:
    Step 1: Contact the NCT to obtain an application form A4 by ringing the dedicated SPSV lo-call number 1890 92 79 77 or click here

Step 2: Fill in the application form A4 (Application for restoration of a lapsed SPSV Licence). Make sure to detail the reason why licence was not renewed by expiry date, as requested on the form. Attach a copy the licence certificate for the lapsed licence.

Step 3: Send both documents to the Commission for Taxi Regulation at the following address:

Commission for Taxi Regulation,
    35 Fitzwilliam Square,
    Dublin 2.

Step 4: The Commission for Taxi Regulation reviews your application. Provided that all the necessary information has been provided, you will have a response within one week (5 working days) of the Commission for Taxi Regulation receiving the application.

Step 5: The Commission for Taxi Regulation informs you of the outcome of the application, and, if application has been successful, of the restoration fee.

Step 6: If restoration has been granted, you must then attend an NCTS Service centre to complete the renewal process. Make sure you bring all of the documents listed below.

A licence will be restored when the following documents have been inspected and passed by the NCTS. If any of these are not available or are invalid, you will not be able to complete the restoration:

Restoration notification letter
    Payment of the appropriate fee
    Certificate of SPSV insurance
    Current NCT SPSV Certificate
    Current Tax Clearance Certificate
    Step 7: Upon successful inspection of all documents, NCTS will provide you with a renewed licence which will have a 12-month duration from the issue date. A new disc and certificate is printed, and the tamper proof disc is applied to the vehicle. The new vehicle can now legally operate as an SPSV.

What if I change my car?
    Step 1: Contact the National Car Testing Service (NCTS) to register your initial application for a change by ringing the dedicated SPSV lo-call number 1890 927 977 for details of the process involved. At this point you will only need to supply your name and address. You will then be provided with the relevant application forms.

Step 2: A vehicle change can be done at your local NCTS service centre. If you do not require NCT or suitability test, there is no need to make an appointment.

--If you also require an NCT or suitability test, please contact the NCTS in advance to make an appointment. Contact details for this are the same as in Step 1 above.

Step 3: Fill in the application forms, and present them together with all relevant documentation at the test centre. For your application to be processed, you will need the following:
    (a) Completed Application Form A1 “Application for a Small Public Service Vehicle Licence”
    (b) Completed Application Form A2; “Application for change of Small Public Service Vehicle”
    (c) Valid NCT Certificate
    (d) Valid Vehicle Suitability Test Certificate as provided by NCTS
    (e) A valid SPSV insurance certificate in respect of the vehicle to be licensed
    (f) A valid Tax Clearance Certificate in respect of the named applicant for this licence (this can be obtained from your local revenue office or by visiting www.revenue.ie)
    (g) Old disks and certificate where available
    (h) Valid payment. The fee for change of vehicle is €125

Note that the name on the tax clearance certificate must fully match that on the application form, all documents must be valid on the date they are presented and the insurance certificate must specifically be for an SPSV.

Step 4: All documents are inspected by NCTS. If any of the above are not available or are invalid, you will not be able to complete the vehicle change.

Step 5: Upon successful inspection of all documents, NCTS provides you with a licence certificate, and applies a tamper proof licence disc to the new vehicle. The new vehicle can now legally operate as an SPSV.

Note that a licence transferred to another vehicle is valid for 12 months from date of issue.

What if I want to sell my taxi plate?
    Step 1: Contact the National Car Testing Service (NCTS) to register your initial application for a transfer of ownership. This can be done in any of the following ways:

In person - at your local NCTS Service centre. Click here for list of NCT centres or ring the dedicated SPSV lo-call number 1890 92 79 77 for details of your nearest centre.

By phone - 1890 9 279 77

At this point you will only need to supply your name and address as the prospective new licence owner. You will then be provided with the relevant application forms.

Step 2: A licence transfer can be done at your local NCTS service centre.

If you are also looking to change the vehicle which the current licence is for, you will need to make a separate application for a change of vehicle. Note that a new vehicle will require an NCT- and suitability test. For more information, or to make an appointment for an NCT or suitability test, please contact the NCTS. Contact as in Step 1 above.

If you do not require a change of vehicle but only to transfer the licence, there is no need to make an appointment. The NCT offers a walk-in service for this transaction.

Step 3: Fill in the application form. Note that both the present and the prospective future licence owner have to sign the form.

Step 4: Present the completed application forms, together with all relevant documentation, at the test centre. For your application to be processed, you will need the following:

Completed Application Form A1 “Application for a Small Public Service Vehicle Licence”
    Completed Application Form A3; “Application for Transfer of Licence (Person to Person)”
    Valid NCT Certificate Valid Vehicle Suitability Test Certificate as provided by NCTS
    A valid SPSV insurance certificate in respect of the vehicle to be licensed
    A valid Tax Clearance Certificate in respect of the new named applicant for this licence (this can be obtained from your local revenue office or by visiting www.revenue.ie)
    Old disks and certificate
    Valid payment. The fee for transfer is €125.

Step 5: All documents are inspected by NCTS. If any of the above are not available or are invalid, you will not be able to complete the transfer.

Step 6: Upon successful inspection of all documents, NCTS provides you with a licence certificate, and apply a new tamper proof licence disc to the vehicle. Note that a licence transferred to another person is only valid for the remainder of the current licence period.

Hope this helps, M

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

Limo & Hackney licence has been upped to €1000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Saint Patrick

Thanks for your post. He sat the exam in Dublin (to drive in Dublin area) at beginning of March and he just heard he passed on Friday. So all in all it was about six weeks and then another two/three when nct, etc is sorted out.

Thanks for your post. He sat the exam in Dublin (to drive in Dublin area) at beginning of March and he just heard he passed on Friday. So all in all it was about six weeks and then another two/three when nct, etc is sorted out.

beginning of March or beginning of Feb?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

god not another one

Sorry - he sat the exam on the 9th February and he got his results last Friday. It's not just as straightforward as you say though. You need to get a receipt of 3 euro from car tax office as stated on letter when you pass and bring to Carriage Office. They then take that and tell you that they will phone you to collect badge (approx ten days). Then (we heard) they give you a provisional badge -not the real badge - and contact you again in about two weeks to collect real one. Does not make sense to me. He is buying his plate and rang NCT centre to ask about this. They said to fill out VL1 form and send into them. More hassle than it's worth me thinks!!! I think it could be a month before he will be on the road. What a load of it! Only in Ireland.

What's your problem blah blah?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Are you all on the road now? If so, hows business?

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Are you all on the road now? If so, hows business?
    Well, the weekends are okay but last friday was dead in dublin and yet saturday was busy (matches were on). I think the taxi fares increasing have had an impact. There are just too many drivers on the road now. Maybe x-mas parties might give some extra work - hard to tell really! It's a real gamble. You just don't know when is the best time to go out working. My advice, try to get a 9-5/Mon - Fri job. There is no money in this game and I know two guys who plan on giving it up!!! :mad:

• Advertisement

Well, the weekends are okay but last friday was dead in dublin and yet saturday was busy (matches were on). I think the taxi fares increasing have had an impact. There are just too many drivers on the road now. Maybe x-mas parties might give some extra work - hard to tell really! It's a real gamble. You just don't know when is the best time to go out working. My advice, try to get a 9-5/Mon - Fri job. There is no money in this game and I know two guys who plan on giving it up!!! :mad:

only 2? i could name 10 guys off the top of my head who have left the game over the last year!

its like all jobs at the moment, just have to put your head down and put in the hours! hope you get on ok as its hard to earn a living at it, and even harder for the full timers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Well, if ya dont like it you tell your partner to get out. Bitching on a Fourm isnt gonna get more €€€ in his pocket.

Well i hate to say it that your partner is part of the problem, and its a bit hypocrytical complaining on how bad the biz is.

Keep the head down and good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Volvoboy wrote: »
    Well, if ya dont like it you tell your partner to get out. Bitching on a Fourm isnt gonna get more €€€ in his pocket.

Well i hate to say it that your partner is part of the problem, and its a bit hypocrytical complaining on how bad the biz is.

Keep the head down and good luck!

I actually had a cab driver who said business was ok over the weekend!

Unless you been doing it for years i suppose its all through word of mouth with older cabbies saying its not like it used to be. But they been saying that for ever, well all the London black cabbies i know have always said that.

Anyway good luck to all of you.

Advertisement