Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ammo to Try

Options
  • 15-03-2008 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭

Still awaiting my FAC, but just doing some reading and such at the moment, and a decent amount concerning ammo. I'm not going to be shooting extraordinary scores just yet, so not going to be using batched Tenex or anything just yet (;)) but looking for good mid-range ammunition that's not going to break the bank, but is going to shoot better than me. Currently thinking of both training and competition ammo, and thinking along the lines of perhaps Eley Club or comparable and perhaps Lapua Master for competitions. Any advice on any other brands definitely worth a look in is appreciated, also thinking of trying RWS stuff if I can find it, and if anyone has any information on how much roughly I'll be paying for any and all recommendations it'd be great. Was thinking maybe anything up to about seven quid a box for training ammo and match ammo could be a tad more expensive. Thanks to IRLConor for his help so far in this regard, but I thought I'd try widen the net a little as well.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭pestshooter7

Suppose its .22lr ammo your after!
    Shoot the ammo that the rifle likes!
    Thats the only rule in my book!
    An extra two euro wont break the bank if the rifle likes the brand of ammo!
    It could just as easily like a cheap ammo if your lucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Yeah, I know, but quality ammo is quality ammo to begin with. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Starting off in .22lr, don't worry about the ammo. Seriously. Get yourself something you can afford to shoot a lot of - Eley club or Lapua Master or whatever. Forget about it after that. When your average score pops 580/600 or so, then go off, batch test the ammo, and once that's done, forget about it.

You'll get far more results from an hour invested in shooting than an hour invested in choosing your ammunition when you're starting off. And for quite some time after that as well. And far too many shooters tend to spend loads of time choosing just the right ammunition and checking headspacing and rim thickness and weight and all that malarky - and not enough time actually shooting that ammunition, so they don't learn enough about wind effects or light effects or mirage or any of the other things that are more important. Ammunition choice may make the difference between a 9.7 and a 10.2; but wind will make the difference between a 10.2 and a 5.0!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 beemer330

Sparks wrote: »
    Starting off in .22lr, don't worry about the ammo. Seriously. Get yourself something you can afford to shoot a lot of - Eley club or Lapua Master or whatever. Forget about it after that. When your average score pops 580/600 or so, then go off, batch test the ammo, and once that's done, forget about it.

You'll get far more results from an hour invested in shooting than an hour invested in choosing your ammunition when you're starting off. And for quite some time after that as well. And far too many shooters tend to spend loads of time choosing just the right ammunition and checking headspacing and rim thickness and weight and all that malarky - and not enough time actually shooting that ammunition, so they don't learn enough about wind effects or light effects or mirage or any of the other things that are more important. Ammunition choice may make the difference between a 9.7 and a 10.2; but wind will make the difference between a 10.2 and a 5.0!

Nicely put sparks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Sparks wrote: »

Yeah, that's what I mean. Perhaps I put it badly, I apologise if so. What I meant was to get suggestions for ammo like Lapua Master or Eley club, good, reasonably priced ammo to try and see what suits the rifle nicest and will take me a long, long way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

You'll usually find that the cheaper ammo will be good enough at 25 yards not to notice anything, but at 50m it will group badly or you'll get a few flyers. The Lapua Club would be in that bracket. Eley club used to be pretty good, but I haven't tried the latest stuff long enough to form an opinion.

RWS is hard to get, so it's not really an option. SK is supposed to be good and it should be coming into the country fairly soon and replacing Lapua (who own the company).

As Sparks said, your rifle will be the test of what it likes or doesn't like. For training, the cheap stuff is fine because it's not the ammo you're testing but yourself and all the other variables. The difference in POI between expensive match ammo and cheaper club ammo is not big enough to worry about.

Advertisement