Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What cable?

Options
  • 15-03-2008 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭

I did read the forum charter. I don’t know if questions seeking help are allowed. I NEED HELP.

My new komplett PC arrived yesterday. Surprisingly it took three weeks to arrive. It is a Komplett Intel Gamer SLI edition PC, Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4 GHz, Windows Vista Home. The monitor is an IIyama 24" ProLite B2403WS. My previous PC was a Dell bought in 2003.

My problem is that I do not have the correct cable to connect the PC to the monitor (afaik). A standard monitor cable plugs into the monitor, but not into the PC.

The IIyama monitor has three IN sockets:
    LINE IN; a small jack type socket
    HDMI; a one cm wide slim socket
    D-BUS: a fifteen pin standard monitor socket.

The PC has two identical graphics cards, described on the invoice as MSI GEForce 256MB 8600GT Twin Turbo, PCI-Express, GDDR3, DL-DVI, HDMI.
    Each graphics card has (I'm reading this from a user's guide leaflet) -
    One small round DIN type socket (like a keyboard socket) described as TV Out connector
    Two DVI-I ports (- HDMI supported - Dual dual-Link DVI output supported)

In the box were two DVI-to-HDMI adapters (about 1” long).

Two cards with a total of four DVI ports. Why only two DVI-to-HDMI adapters?

There are a few other short connectors in the box.

Can anyone tell me how to connect the monitor to the PC.? I’m guessing I need to buy a cable / and/or an adapter. I have only a general knowledge of PCs (using them for 25 years).:o

I won’t be using this PC to play games. I will use it to work on horse pedigrees. With horse family trees of six or seven generations on screen (a few hundred horses) I need fast updating.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Did you not get a dvi cable?

Here is a review & pic of the monitor inputs. It does not have a dvi connection, opts instead for an older vga connection (like the cable you've got) and a hdmi connection. You got a dvi to hdmi convertor so you use this connector & a dvi cable (like the one i attached) to connect the monitor or get a vga to dvi convertor and use your vga cable.

The 4 dvi connectors are for a 4 monitor setup, u just connect to one of them. BTW Why did you go for the Komplett Sli Gamer pc when u won't be playing games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

many thanks for the reply.

I don't have that cable. From the image I can see it has two connectors with pins that match the sockets at the back of my PC. I assume I am not seeing the end that plugs into the monitor. What is at the other end? Do you plug one of each of those pinned plugs (in the image) into the cards?

Some time back I wrote a program to analyse thoroughbred horse pedigrees. I took early retirement a year ago, and now am re-writing the programs. The analysis uses about 12+ generations for each horse (about 4000 ancestors).
    The analysis depends on good data. At the moment I am doing some data cleanup. I use a commercial pedigree package that shows a few hundred horses on screen. You can scroll through the family tree backwards and forwards. Quick refresh is important, as is getting the data from the hard disk quickly. I decided for a fast processor, fast(ish) graphics. and a fast monitor so I won't be wasting seconds (thousands of times) as I correct the pedigrees.

The other end of the dvi cable connects to the dvi to hdmi converter and then connects to the monitor thru hdmi.

Another option is to get a vga to dvi converter and use the vga cable that you already got.

Both ways require you to purchase something, i'd go with the dvi cable as its digital, vga is analog. You'll find them in Maplin or PcWorld if your in a rush but the cheapest place is online stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

It is midnight on Sunday. Late on Saturday I found the HDMI cable that came with the IIyama monitor (I'd put it in a safe place :o ). Anyway even with that I could not get anything from the monitor on Saturday. I was in the middle of writing an email to komplett on my other PC a few minutes ago to say I had a problem. So I give it one last try and was surprised to find the new PC sprung into action. I just did a bit of cable pushing, not sure what.

My worry was the new PC took 20 days to arrive, as they said they had a problem with the main board and they had to replace it. The PC was a bit silent, except a gale force from the fans. I thought it may not be booting up.

Fingers crossed when I turn it on tomorrow.

Again many thanks for your replies.

This is from the article i posted earlier:
    To begin with, as a PC connection HDMI is frankly rubbish. Presuming you might actually want to use the Iiyama with a PC, which isn't unreasonable considering Iiyama does provide a DVI-to-HDMI cable, any kind of movement invariably results in the connection coming loose and distorting the image, or worse still just falling out. As you might imagine this can get pretty annoying, and it's high time someone just included a DVI-HDMI adapter in the box which would enable the same functionality at little extra cost. Who, after all, is going to miss the ability the pipe audio to the pathetic 2 Watt speakers? Not I.

• Advertisement
Advertisement