Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licence application and the super.

Options
  • 15-03-2008 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

I shoot a rifle with interchangeable barrels and recently (3 months ago) submitted aplication for firearm cert for a second 243 barrel with a faster twist to shoot 600y. i was told the cpo would be calling to inspect mointerd alarm and safe which he did and he seemed very happy with security etc, my question is how long is the norm to wait before super asks for meeting with view to licence, was thinking since i already have a 243 308 and 22 that a meet up with him might not be needed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Should be no reason to meet you anymore,if he has granted all that.you would be well known,and by rights all you are looking is for an extension /amendment[?] to your liscense for the barrel.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

ranger4 wrote: »
    I shoot a rifle with interchangeable barrels and recently (3 months ago) submitted aplication for firearm cert for a second 243 barrel with a faster twist to shoot 600y. i was told the cpo would be calling to inspect mointerd alarm and safe which he did and he seemed very happy with security etc, my question is how long is the norm to wait before super asks for meeting with view to licence, was thinking since i already have a 243 308 and 22 that a meet up with him might not be needed.

whats wrong with the twist rate you have that you cant reach 600 yards with accuracy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Can the 308 barrel not do the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

My exsisting 243 has a 1 in 10 twist and woint stablise the 105-7 scenars, new barrel has a 1 in 8 twist to shoot thease bullets, yea the 308 easily reaches 600y and beyond, might give barracks a ring and ask for supers office see if i could meet up and short out new barrel cert,(even a spare rilfle barrel is classed as a firearm so will need seperate cert for it) isnt there a time frame in which i should recieve my cert thinking it was around a few months has anyone info on this thanks.

My exsisting 243 has a 1 in 10 twist and woint stablise the 105-7 scenars, new barrel has a 1 in 8 twist to shoot thease bullets, yea the 308 easily reaches 600y and beyond, might give barracks a ring and ask for supers office see if i could meet up and short out new barrel cert,(even a spare rilfle barrel is classed as a firearm so will need seperate cert for it) isnt there a time frame in which i should recieve my cert thinking it was around a few months has anyone info on this thanks.

Try 85 grain sierra matchkings in the 1:10 twist for 600 yards,
    I can break clays at that distance with my 243 and have gone out to
    800 on baloons;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

Try 85 grain sierra matchkings in the 1:10 twist for 600 yards,
    I can break clays at that distance with my 243 and have gone out to
    800 on baloons;)
    The Lapua 90g scenar shoots fairly well in my 1 in 10 twist barrel (clover leaf size groups at 200y and 1 and half inch with no wind at 400y)but i wanted to try the 105-7g scenars and VLd type of bullets at 600-1000y, its well documented how well the 243 shoots at long range with high bc bullets in 1 in 7-8 twist barrels but with this accuracy comes a price and running 105-7g bullets at 2950-3050 fps as some guys do is kind of hard on barrels thus shortning barrel life.:D

The Lapua 90g scenar shoots fairly well in my 1 in 10 twist barrel (clover leaf size groups at 200y and 1 and half inch with no wind at 400y)but i wanted to try the 105-7g scenars and VLd type of bullets at 600-1000y, its well documented how well the 243 shoots at long range with high bc bullets in 1 in 7-8 twist barrels but with this accuracy comes a price and running 105-7g bullets at 2950-3050 fps as some guys do is kind of hard on barrels thus shortning barrel life.:D

by any standard less than .4 moa accuracy at just less than a quarter of a mile is fantastic shooting, considering that the world champion 600 yard shooter has only recently managed to shoot a sub minute of angle group
    using a bench rest rifle at 600 yards, and 2950 -3050 is quite normal
    velocity for the 243 with 105 grain ammo, as a matter of fact 3300 -3400ft/sec
    gives better results in handloads with vld bullets.:D

Advertisement