Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leaving the RDF

• 15-03-2008 10:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering,I was told you can sign a contract to be in the rdf for X amount of time but is this compulsory?Also when you get sworn in and have to sign an oath is that the contract or can you leave anytime after that that you wish?Thanks for any replies :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

You can
    a) Buy yourself out
    b) just stop showing up

If you do join and do either one of those options please return the Uniform. They are kind of a useful thing. (or at least give it to someone in your Unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 headzilla

You do not buy yourself out of the reserve!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Riddle101

You could always just ask for a discharge or something like that. The oath isn't really taken serious anymore, and loads of guys usually don't come back after the first Annual Camp so you can just leave whenever you want to, but as the poster two comments above said, you should give the Uniform back because it takes ages to get new ones for the new recruits and it would make life easier for them if they get a uniform from someone leaving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Halistra

I left before and I just signed a discharge paper and I returned the uniform. Please return the uniform as we are in short supply as it is.

'The oath isn't really taken serious anymore'
    Be careful what you say there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Snakes

Ian Beale wrote: »
    I'm just wondering,I was told you can sign a contract to be in the rdf for X amount of time but is this compulsory?Also when you get sworn in and have to sign an oath is that the contract or can you leave anytime after that that you wish?Thanks for any replies :)

Contract is for 3 years, it's compulsory, not an option. The oath and the contract are different. You sign the contract, it's a written document, whereas the oath is spoken out loud with your right hand placed either on the bible or the Eire constitution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭kermit_ie

Returned, or Part-Worn uniforms are not re-issued. There is also no shortage with new uniforms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Snakes wrote: »
    Contract is for 3 years, it's compulsory, not an option. The oath and the contract are different. You sign the contract, it's a written document, whereas the oath is spoken out loud with your right hand placed either on the bible or the Eire constitution.

Oh sorry I should have said its not me personally its a friend and he'll be moving out of Ireland in 2 years but he wants to join the rdf,so the 3 years is compulsory?Odd he was told it was optional :confused: well either way he can either just not turn up/sign a discharge paper and thats that?

Thanks for all your replies btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

headzilla wrote: »
    'The oath isn't really taken serious anymore'
    Be careful what you say there.

X2

Btw,I'm waiting to get sworn in and I do see what he is saying,some recruits don't see it as anything important but they are usually the regular no-shows.I see the Oath as something to be proud of..it's an oath to the constitution and Defence Forces of your country..

The problem is that eejit probably doesnt even know what the oath is,
    Too many gobsh1tes posting false information, makes the whole organisation look bad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

eroo wrote: »
    X2

Btw,I'm waiting to get sworn in and I do see what he is saying,some recruits don't see it as anything important but they are usually the regular no-shows.I see the Oath as something to be proud of..it's an oath to the constitution and Defence Forces of your country..

+1

I loved the swearing ceremony: oaths flags and bibles.

The problem is that eejit probably doesnt even know what the oath is,
    Too many gobsh1tes posting false information, makes the whole organisation look bad!

Is that a shot at me or something? Look i meant to say that people don't take it seriously because some don't turn up after Annual Camp and leave just like that. If they took the oath seriously like i do then they would be committed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Snakes

Ian Beale wrote: »
    Oh sorry I should have said its not me personally its a friend and he'll be moving out of Ireland in 2 years but he wants to join the rdf,so the 3 years is compulsory?Odd he was told it was optional :confused: well either way he can either just not turn up/sign a discharge paper and thats that?

He'll have to sign the contract for the 3 years. Assume that when they said it was optional they meant he wouldn't be forced to stay for the 3 years, they not gona come searching for him and drag him down to the barrracks if he leaves during those 3 years.
    After the 2 years, when he's leaving Ireland, he'll need to return the uniform. He'll be asked why he's leaving, but moving to a foreign country's a fairly good reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 RossersToolbox

Tell your mate to drop in and sign off please.

There are more than enough gob****es never seen again taking up room in RDF unit books across the country, please return the kit so it can be disposed of in the proper mannner.

This normally means "here young fella, take this home and boil wash it" and I'll mark it down as burned.

There is allways a shortage of kit in certain units so your mate will be doing some chap a favor.

If he wont come back and sign off tell him hes a bit of a tosser for not doing it but not to worry we dont chase down people who are AWOL from the PDF let alone the RDF, so he'll not be arrested at the airport LOL.

Whats with the Uniform? Not reissued?

So in what way can someone have it given to a few people and not have to turn it in so it goes completely to waste?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

if your friend has enlisted in the RDF he can apply for a discharge stating that he's emigrating and wont be available for training. If he's going to the united states this is the best way for him, he can flash his discharge cert - they're impressed with anyone who has military service no matter what it is.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Riddle101 wrote: »
    The oath isn't really taken serious anymore

You reckon ? Heard of Military discipline and Military Law ?

You reckon ? Heard of Military discipline and Military Law ?

I meant by the people who take the oath don't take it seriously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭trellheim

I took the oath.

I take it seriously.

PS If you don't like it Discharge By Purchase is always an option.

You do not buy yourself out of the reserve!

Yeah you do. It costs €6.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Riddle101 wrote: »
    I meant by the people who take the oath don't take it seriously

That's who I meant too ! Do they not realise the consequences ?

kermit_ie wrote: »
    Yeah you do. It costs €6.

Does it not cost a little bit more if you have a driving course done?

Does it not cost a little bit more if you have a driving course done?

No

Advertisement