Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oracle: At the bottom rung!

Options
  • 15-03-2008 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭

How do all.

Just some practical advice needed here.

My story at the moment is...

Did a Business Degree with some IT (the IT subjects were mainly SQL and Database flavoured subjects)
    In all in anyways I managed to land an IT job against all the odds. My role is that of a system analyst/support. We run and maintain financial software which we host locally to users across europe. The software sits on ORACLE DB (both 9i and 10g). Im about 6mths in now and I feel that Im gaining really good experience on the Implementation side.

What Ive come to realise is a DBA path is one I would not mind following. We had a DBA with us recently giving some training and I was quite interested to say the least.

Was looking here:
    http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=3&p_org_id=27&lang=US

And my question is...

Would following the set out paths here (which are enourmously expensive) combined with the experience Im gaining be advisable?

My fear being that I end up doing courses that count for flip all towards my degree!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I'm an Oracle DBA, with a good few years experience.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend doing the 11g exams yet - it was only released in September of last year, so won't be common for at least another year. Plus, there is the aspect of practical experience - you won't get any, bar what you install in a test environment and TBH, that won't pass you the exams.

As for 10g exams, I am doing them at the moment. I've both a degree and a masters and I feel my career demands I have the certification (my boss certainly does :)). Degree (and masters) + experience are simply not enough. As a side note, my company is a consultancy, so I get to work with loads of different clients, my point being, I am not just working within one company. I like to think I have a broad enough perspective on what is/is not required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Barry CPL

Hi Tom,

Sorry to go off on a tangent to your answer, but do you by any chance (or does anyone else for that matter reading this) know of any good courses on Oracle 10g geared towards SQL developers?

thanks,
    Barry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Barry CPL wrote: »
    Hi Tom,

Sorry to go off on a tangent to your answer, but do you by any chance (or does anyone else for that matter reading this) know of any good courses on Oracle 10g geared towards SQL developers?

thanks,
    Barry

Ive been looking right at the source!

http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=3&p_org_id=27&lang=US

Advertisement