Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drying Clothes

Options
  • 15-03-2008 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

This title might look like it belongs in another forum but it is house related!

I am planning the layout of a new build and am looking at ensuring that I take care of all the practicalities - I don't want a 3000 sq ft house that doesnt meet our future needs. I am probably going to go with underfloor heating downstairs and possibly usptairs as well (although that is not definite yet). One thing that struck me is how will I dry the clothes in the house if I have no rads on which to dry them. I don't want to be using the dryer constantly to dry the clothes as I am trying to keep future energy bills as low as possible.

Are there any possible solutions that people have incorporated into their designs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

You really shouldn't be drying clothes indoors. All that moisture has to go somewhere and usually ends up in the fabric :D of the building as damp.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,156 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Oh the pain in the back of the wee donkey.

Locked like myself till I find somewhere more appropriate.

Edit: I'll fire this over to delly in DIY

You could always build a "carport" type structure around the back and hang clothes lines from it, we are planning to build one on the side of the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

I've a mate that tried this and refused to put up a clothes line, got two tumble dryers instead and now pays almost €500 every two moths for electricity....anyway you're on to good idea.
    I'd suggest a small laundry room with and use a dehimidifier to extract moisture from clothes. While you're at it cut a hole in the ceiling and build a laundry shoot.
    We have a glass house and I got a retractable clothes line. Works great during the winter when nothing growing there.
    I've seen purpose designed tents for use with dehumidifier and clothes horse which seem very effective.

Advertisement