Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incorporate SF stove to OFCH system

Options
  • 15-03-2008 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi, hope someone can help. We currently have OFCH with an open fire in the sitting room. We'd like to install a solid fuel stove, and ideally want to link it to the hot water system. While we don't have a back boiler in the fireplace, there is a radiator in the hallway immediately behind the fireplace.

Can we link the stove into the radiator (obviously with the relevant safety valves etc), or must we plumb it right back to the hot water tank? :confused:

1840 sq ft bungalow, hot water tank about 25 feet from fireplace, cold water tank in attic.

Every stove supplier says "you have to ask your plumber" but no-one will recommend one because "people like to use their own plumbers". The only plumber we know has never fitted stoves. I know we need an expert - how do we find a reputable one?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

You cannot link into the rad :eek:
    You must link to the hotwater cylinder and on up to a header tank in the attic. Then you can branch off to the radiators. You do need a plumber who knows his stuff.
    Jim.

Edit: Actually not sure about hot water cyl on same level - BUT, you must go straight up to the header tank in the attic - that's why you need a good plumber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Gabby

babsdela wrote: »
    Hi, hope someone can help. We currently have OFCH with an open fire in the sitting room. We'd like to install a solid fuel stove, and ideally want to link it to the hot water system. While we don't have a back boiler in the fireplace, there is a radiator in the hallway immediately behind the fireplace.

Can we link the stove into the radiator (obviously with the relevant safety valves etc), or must we plumb it right back to the hot water tank? :confused:

1840 sq ft bungalow, hot water tank about 25 feet from fireplace, cold water tank in attic.

Every stove supplier says "you have to ask your plumber" but no-one will recommend one because "people like to use their own plumbers". The only plumber we know has never fitted stoves. I know we need an expert - how do we find a reputable one?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Hi, did you find a solution? I intend to install a solid fuel stove and would go for the back boiler option if it was not too expensive. I'd appreciate if you could let me know how you got on.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

I fitted a Range to the house here, and if you are keeping your OFCH system, its likely you'll need a new Cylinder the same as I did, what the plumber did here was branch into the piping coming from our OFCH system on the ground floor, and fitted non-return valves. And ran additional piping up to the Hotpress… Under the floorboards upstairs…
    A bit of work involved, but worth it…Haven’t used the OFCH in 12mths.

You have a Bungalow so all the piping can be ran across the attic space down to the stove and the OFCH system...get a price off a good plumber, you just can't branch into a rad stand pipe :)

Best of luck...

Advertisement