Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get my tongue pierced or not?

Options
  • 15-03-2008 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

i really want to get my tongue pierced but i do singing and dont want to **** that up or my teeth after having orthodontic treatment can you have those plastic/teflon balls on as you first bar though?and should i even get it done?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

I sing in a band and it didn't mess with my singing at all, stick with all steal bits till it's fully healed, mines just over a year old and I put all kinds of balls on it *awaits pi$$ ripping over pun, not intended! :p) but always stick with the metal bar as the plastic ones can break and splinter and stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 xefahx

yeah but i do lik opera classical stuff and my teacher like 50 r 60 something dont think hed b too impressed!!!what are the odds of ot geting infected?

same as any piercing, look after it and you'll be fine, you won't be able to sing for a feew weeks while it heals alright but it is grand, I used to be in a lot of musicals too like, ye should be fine

yeah so iv an assessment comin up in a few weeks so that wouldnt be a good idea but then itll b close to oxygen-so can you drink if its not healed or shoudl i jsu get a funnel and shove it down my throat and pour in drink hahaha but ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Heya, are you living in Dublin or somewhere near to a body piercing place? Just get it done and then if you feel that it doesn't agree with you go back and have it removed. No damage will be done at that stage and it'll be fine. Personally, I love mine! I don't sing but it hasn't effected my speech or anything.

• Advertisement

yeah livin in dublin and im in town everyday so thats no probs

give it two weeks before drinking much, ie give it about three till ox! Two weeks is the initial healing time, that means, no drink, no smoking, no kissing, no oral sex, no dairy, no high sugar foods, no high salt foods, no very hot food, no very chewy food....salt rinses at least twice a day and after meals etc...prob some more stuff I should put in...

I know what I said seems harsh and a lot of people are gonna come along and say i did this and that straight after getting my tongue done, but doing stuff like that heightens your chance of infection, and to get an infection in your tongue is wicked serious, you generally wouldn't know you have one till you wake up in hospital, cuz it goes straight into your blood stream, so looking after it well for two weeks is better than ending up in hospital, or not being able to sing again and stuff...

:)

Ah dont be worrying then, I put off getin it done for ages but I can honestly say that it is BY FAR the easiest one to heal. Absolutely no problem. And as for drinking, oxygen isn't for a while, you'll be able to drink no problem! The day I got mine done all I was told to avoid was alcopos (which are septic anyway eww) and things with a lot of additives. So dont be worrying. Good luck ;)

hehehe.... nobody said I couldn't drink for two weeks... or anything about dairy so thats new to me!! oppsie... but mine turned out fine anyways!! Just go speak to a piercer about it. They'd know exactly what to do.

**** thats serious **** awww urrrgh....no kissing grrr awh this is jus annoying...so can you just liquidate foods n ****?whatll i do if my parents make dinner and sit me down to eat ill be there lik ehhh cos i dont want them to know cos theyll just annoy me about it and be like its bad for yor sinigng take it out now and probly hold me down and rip it out with their bare fists if they saw it...

Hahahaha mine still don't know!! Well I told my mam but she doesn't mind, she just feels queasy if I mention it!! :D You'll hide it easily enough and personally I didn't find eating all that hard at all. Like three days into healing it was most tender but it was fine. Noodles are great ;)

• Advertisement

hah, i went home and had a full dinner went i got mine done, ate it cold and it took about two hours cuz i had to chop it up so small and chew so carefully making sure to put the food down on my molars so i was grinding it more than chewing!

The parents thing is exactly the reason I waited till i hit college to get mine, it took mam three hours to notice when i came home and she threatened to rip it out while i slept...my da? either he still hasn't noticed or is in serious denial!

and the kissing thing? drove me nuts too! what made it worse was my boyf at the time breaking up with me right at the two week mark, and me dying to be with him again, and he'd have been the one to really notice a difference but grr! :p

Le Rack wrote: »
    what made it worse was my boyf at the time breaking up with me right at the two week mark, and me dying to be with him again, and he'd have been the one to really notice a difference but grr! :p

:( his loss!

hell yeah! shoulda seen his face when he learned some new and interesting facts about me! Lol! :D ah well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Had mine pierced for 6 years. It will damage your teeth, trust me.

Chinafoot wrote: »
    only if ye play with it...

know tonnes of people with it done ages and no probs...

feck!

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

A friend of mine does Opera singing too, and her teacher is always at her about her tongue piercing, something about the ball and the roof of her mouth i think.

Anyway, it's been hassle for her as she has to wear a bar with a flat bit for singing.

Tbh though, i think it depends on the teacher, seems to me she was just being fussy, but then again, i'm no opera singer lol. ;)

only if ye play with it...

Rubbish. Having something like that in your mouth 24 hours a day, regardless of whether it's metal or plastic, is going to affect your teeth. I didn't "play" with mine but that doesn't mean it never touched my teeth. When you eat it can touch your teeth, when you speak it can touch your teeth.

Ever accidentally bitten it when eating? It can do some serious damage to your molars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭BuddhaJoe

Ever accidentally bitten it when eating? It can do some serious damage to your molars.

+1. I broke a molar by accidently biting down on my tongue bar while eating breakfast :(

Rubbish. Having something like that in your mouth 24 hours a day, regardless of whether it's metal or plastic, is going to affect your teeth. I didn't "play" with mine but that doesn't mean it never touched my teeth. When you eat it can touch your teeth, when you speak it can touch your teeth.

ah yeah i get that it's in your mouth 24/7 n all but mine seems to sit happily in the middle of my mouth, never really touches off my teach, the very very rare occasion when im eating

• Advertisement

ah yeah i get that it's in your mouth 24/7 n all but mine seems to sit happily in the middle of my mouth, never really touches off my teach, the very very rare occasion when im eating

Well those rare occasions will add up over a few years and it will cause damage. It'll only take one hard bite to break a tooth.

If the OP has already forked out for orthadontic work I don't see why they'd risk it tbh. *shrug*

awh man this is turning me off it!!!!ok so what are the advantages then???oh oh and how much woudl it cost???

mine was 55 in a really good piercers...i know it's cheaper in some other places but ye pay for quality...

advantages, looks cool, feels great, and then there's the more..."x" rated advantages!

hummm ok go so much thought is going inot it now and then ill probly b lik urrgh wata waste when i get it and ill b thinkn oooh i cuda got a nice posh dinner with that money!!!!instead of eatin baby food for a week!!!!!

Hahaha I don't regret it for what it's worth!! :D Having said that all this talk of breaking my teeth is making me shudder!! *shudder*... yikes!!!!!!!! :eek: Still, for now it feels great, looks good and I don't know why but anytime I take it out to change it I cant stand the few minutes it's not in my mouth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Kidd-o

I'm thinking of taking mine out...

Got a dentist appointment next week or so, and i'm the gobsh!t3 that chews on the tongue bar, and actually pulls on it...
    My PERFECT teeth are gettin ruined... but its cool
    My dentist is gonna beat the back off me

and

my piercer did tell me that "Kris, if you MUST smoke, and you shouldnt, you should carry salt and water in a bottle..."

you didn't did you?

I kept a bottle in the fridge and in my bag for college...

yes i smoked when i got out the studio but it hurt... so much...

so i stopped after a drag, i then didnt smoke till the following evening... that hurt 2...

(i have since quit if anyone cares, 6 months smoke free)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Well done! :)

• Advertisement

cheers!!!

on a side note, if im leaving my tongue heal i can just whip it out cant i, like i dont want it to close up with milk inside

Advertisement